Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep Gailey

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Keep Gailey

Obviously this was a horrible season and came with more disappointment than season's past as the expectation to improve significantly was high.

Yes Gailey deserves heat for certain things like not using Spiller enough and the biggest mistake which was banking on Fitz to be the guy.

However Gailey did a lot right. He got production out of a back-up QB, he did get Jackson and Spiller playing at a high level, he turned a scrap heap TE into a legitimate threat (Chandler), he took a RG off waivers and turned him into one of the top G in the AFC (Urbik), he turned Johnson into one of the most dynamic WRs in the NFL.

He also turned one of the worst OL in the NFL into one of the best. We can't forget about how good Nelson was before his injury. Another undrafted WR that Gailey got production from. Then you have Jones who was also undrafted and also was becoming an impact player.

We can all admit that Gailey took relatively weak and raw talent and got them to produce. Imagine if he had a real QB, if Gailey had Dalton or RGIII or Luck what would our offense look like then? Add to that a true #2 opposite Stevie, then what would the results be?

My point is that maybe if we just back off and let Gailey fix his errors (which I'm sure he is aware of) and address our weaknesses we might just see the Bills in the playoffs in the near future. But getting rid of Gailey now and having someone new come in who is not in touch with what we already have going for us I highly doubt will fix our situation.

Let Gailey continue to mold this thing because I don't think this team is that far away from being a playoff team. We are literally 4 players away from being a solid football team.

QB, #2WR, Impact LB and veteran CB. Let's just ride this out, I'm actually curious to see what Gailey's plans are with respect to upgrading this team in some very key areas.

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Keep Gailey

They quit on him. You can't keep a coach the players wont fight for.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

3. Post thanked by:

BillsFever21 (12-27-2012),DynaPaul (12-27-2012),Jeff1220 (12-28-2012),jlgarsh (12-27-2012),Lone Stranger (12-27-2012),SquishDaFish (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Fail
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was 100% ready to fire him after the Arizona game. He made so many stupid decisions in such a short span, I realized that he'd never "get it" as a head coach and needs to go.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

6. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (12-27-2012),OpIv37 (12-27-2012)

SpikedLemonade

As much as we are already irrelevant in the NFL, keeping Gailey will just make us the laughing stock as well.

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Gailey wouldn't know his errors if they punched him in the face. He's still sticking with Fitz in this weekend's meaningless game, refuse to take a look at TJackson. You think he knows what he's doing wrong?

9. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Gailey has to win Sunday just to be able to say he's lost 2 out of every 3 games he's coached for the Bills. He's trying to attain a .333 win percentage with a win-WOW!

The OP sounds like he'd be the last customer to patronize a restaurant with a bad chef and tell the owner not to fire the chef because the waiters are really trying when they serve the bad food and that if we just give the chef more time the food will start to taste better and all the customers he lost will come back. My advice-time for a new chef.
    Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 12-27-2012 at 08:46 AM.

11. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,216 Times in 13,682 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What about the Jauron-like clock management? What about sitting back and watching while Wannstadt's D puts up records for futility? What about punting from inside his own 35 in a dome but trying a FG from the same spot in the December Buffalo wind? What about keeping Moorman, only to cut him and sign Powell, who's been worse than Moorman? What about keeping two kickers only to turn around and cut Potter, and for that matter, not even allowing Potter to attempt FG's in the preseason? What about the complete and utter inability to make halftime or in-game adjustments?

And I particularly disagree with this part:
    We can all admit that Gailey took relatively weak and raw talent and got them to produce.
    Other than a 6 game stretch to start last season, when has this team produced under Gailey? Under Gailey, the team's record are 4-12, 6-10 and no better than 6-10 this year, with only 3 (possibly 4) division wins. The D has been horrendous for his whole tenure and the O no better than average. The ONLY part of this team that has produced in any meaningful sense is the run game, and that's mostly been just this season. Gailey can do no better than tie last year's record and still may finish with a worse record than last year. That's a very strange definition of "producing."

And, as far as the talent level, well, yes, there are definitely some glaring talent holes in this roster, most notably at QB and LB. But, this team is clearly more talented than any team Jauron ever had, and at least Jauron managed consistent 7-9's. Gailey has yet to even hit that mediocre mark despite having more talent. So once again, that's a strange definition of "producing."

13. Post thanked by:

BillsFever21 (12-27-2012),Billz_fan (12-28-2012),Historian (12-27-2012),jlgarsh (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
    Gailey wouldn't know his errors if they punched him in the face. He's still sticking with Fitz in this weekend's meaningless game, refuse to take a look at TJackson. You think he knows what he's doing wrong?
    Chan is like the captain who goes down with his ship instead of just plugging the leak and stopping the ship from sinking.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,216 Times in 13,682 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    I was 100% ready to fire him after the Arizona game. He made so many stupid decisions in such a short span, I realized that he'd never "get it" as a head coach and needs to go.
    I gave him a little more leeway than that, mainly because, going into this season, I thought Nix was screwing him with bad decisions and he wasn't doing all that bad given the steaming pile of **** he was given to work with. However, this year the talent on the roster is vastly improved but the results on the field are the same or worse. It's become painfully obvious that Gailey has been part of the problem the whole time.

16. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (12-27-2012)

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

3-14 in the division. See ya.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

18. Post thanked by:

Historian (12-27-2012),SquishDaFish (12-27-2012)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I gave him a little more leeway than that, mainly because, going into this season, I thought Nix was screwing him with bad decisions and he wasn't doing all that bad given the steaming pile of **** he was given to work with. However, this year the talent on the roster is vastly improved but the results on the field are the same or worse. It's become painfully obvious that Gailey has been part of the problem the whole time.
    I was down on Gailey from the start when he decided to open the gd rebuild with a halfback in the Top 10 (an NFL strategy at least 10 years out of date) and then into year three he can't even get the guy 15 touches consistently.

But blaming the talent doesn't account for Gailey's utterly horrendous gameday management. Even as bad as this team is, we've had multiple games that were tight in the second half, and that's where coaching makes the difference. He doesn't have it.

20. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There are lots of valid points here, no question about that. But I still feel that Gailey can improve and has an inside track on the team that will help him to fix what needs to be fixed.

You also have to take Nix into the equation. Nix has a good feel for what we all know needs to be fixed. I am fairly certain that he will ensure the issues are addressed.

Gailey, despite all his errors, can do better with better talent at key positions.

You guys forget that the Colts threw their OC in to the HC job and still did well. Luck is the reason for that. No one can tell me that Bruce Arians is such a special coach and the Colts have a super roster. Luck is the difference between us and them. And you can definitely argue that we have way more talent than they do on both sides of the ball.

Gailey made some errors this year, but with a talented QB he can have the Bills in the playoffs too.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Mahdi loves losing.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Gailey is a dinosaur. Even when he wasn't, he wasn't NFL calibre. He's every bit as bad as Jauron was.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

While I understand the continuity thing, but Gailey lost the team. He is not a motivator and even though that isn't a requirement for HC in the NFL, that's precisely what this group needs. Whether you like it or not, you get 3 years to at least show improvement if not win. Gailey hasn't done that, but more importantly he looks like a whipped dog. Go to buffalbills.com and watch just the last three post game press conferences.

25. Post thanked by:

coastal (12-27-2012),Historian (12-27-2012)

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi View Post
    There are lots of valid points here, no question about that. But I still feel that Gailey can improve and has an inside track on the team that will help him to fix what needs to be fixed.

You also have to take Nix into the equation. Nix has a good feel for what we all know needs to be fixed. I am fairly certain that he will ensure the issues are addressed.

Gailey, despite all his errors, can do better with better talent at key positions.

You guys forget that the Colts threw their OC in to the HC job and still did well. Luck is the reason for that. No one can tell me that Bruce Arians is such a special coach and the Colts have a super roster. Luck is the difference between us and them. And you can definitely argue that we have way more talent than they do on both sides of the ball.

Gailey made some errors this year, but with a talented QB he can have the Bills in the playoffs too.
    The Colts are a bad example. No. 1, you have a QB that was NFL ready and a great talent out of the gate.

No.2, you have the Chuck Pagano angle where the players play with enthusiasm for their fallen coach.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Even if he can do better with talent, he cannot get us to the sb if he couldn't even make us competitive with what he's got.

The goal is the superbowl and Gailey is NOT a sb caliber HC.

28. Post thanked by:

Albany,n.y. (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Most 5 years olds have a good feel for what needs to be fixed, particularly since two of the big ones (QB and LB) have been issues for 4+ years now.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was a big Gailey supporter in the past. I would bet I have more posts defending him than anyone on this board. Well, I am done with that. I am so over it & I think most of the players are as well.

It is time for Gailey to go.

31. Post thanked by:

Albany,n.y. (12-27-2012)