Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep Gailey

Thanks
    Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Keep Gailey

I wouldn't mind keeping Gailey as OC since I agree that he's done a lot of good things on offense despite not having a lot of talent to work with, but that's not realistic. It would have been exciting to see what this offense could do under Gailey with a legit QB and another decent WR.

I can't justify keeping a guy that now has double digit losses in all three years he's been here though. Not only does this team lose a lot, but they lose in record breaking blowout fashion. It's embarrassing.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi View Post
    I don't agree.

If Gailey had Andy Dalton and a legit #2 on offense plus an impact LB and a veteran CB opposite Gilmore this is a playoff team. I'll take a playoff team for now and then worry about making the SB later.
    You just pointed out the other problem. Dalton would have been sitting on the bench "learning his system" since he thinks his system is too complicated for anyone to learn.He insists on Fitz which in turn turned us a few years back.

Andrew Luck wouldn't have his numbers since Gailey likes to ease in players. The game has evolved and Gailey needs to know that the qb's from college are different from the his old school mentality.

In Fitz's 3rd year under Gailey, his nos. are not a whole lot better to Tavaris' nos. playing with the seahawks in his 1st year.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Interesting, because Marvin Lewis has Andy Dalton and no number 2 wide receiver and can make the playoffs.
    Right but they also have AJ Green who is maybe the best WR in the AFC. Plus Gresham who is coming on strong.

Also, if we still had Nelson and a healthy Jones we would be doing way better on offense. The loss of Nelson was massive. He was our 3rd down guy and defenses would have had to choose between Nelson and Chandler inside.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I guarantee you, had we drafted Rusell Wilson, he'd be on the bench.

5. Post thanked by:

better days (12-27-2012),jlgarsh (12-27-2012),k-oneputt (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Three seasons in a row with double digit losses, no other Bills coach in history has done that, 1 win against a team with a winning record in 3 years. I really don't need to say more and there is much more that can be said about the futility of this team under Gailey.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That is the thing the Bills FO needs to find out. Who is going to QB this team.

We have had a bunch of coaches here and none have panned out BUT we also had no QB in that same time span.

I really don't see a point in bringing in the next Joe Blow who will blow everything up and restart. We all know we're not getting Gruden or Cowher so do you really want to start from scratch with another unknown coach?

I'd rather let Gailey work it out, get more talent in here and improve further on our positives.
    Do I really want to start from scratch with another unknown coach? No, I don't want to. But Gailey is never going to work it out. What you see is what you get. I agree with you that the next coach will probably be just as bad as Gailey, Jauron, Mularkey, etc, but I disagree that Gailey is capable of working it out. The unfortunate reality is that we are screwed until the ownership situation changes. The team will always be like this as long as Ralph and Russ are running the show. I don't know if it's because they're cheap or incompetent or difficult to work with or some combination of the 3, but for whatever reason, they can't attract top GM or coaching talent, and in the rare instances where they have attracted it, they couldn't keep it.

Now that the new lease all but guarantees the team will stay in Buffalo, I cannot wait for a new owner.

8. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

As for Dalton, he turned the Bengals around so why not us? I suppose their HC is that good? He has been on the hot seat for 5 years. They stuck with him, they got a QB and now they are challenging in a very tough division.
    They are competitive now because they have a good GM who has brought in a truck load of top-tier talent in the past three seasons, including Dalton, A.J. Green, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Kevin Zeitler and Vontaze Burfict.

The Bills are not competitive because Nix has not brought in sufficient talent - particularly at the most crucial position on the field.

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I guess it's nice to talk about, but Chan Gailey will be fired next Tuesday. The one question that remains is will Buddy Nix be axed as well? Fitzpatrick might have been retained as a mentor for a young QB, but not considering the financial advantages we have to cut him.

San Francisco faces a similar situation with Alex Smith. They won't keep him as a back-up at his salary and I don't think Smith would consider staying no matter what the money, so they have little choice but to cut him. He has earned being a starter. We will see how it plays out and it depends on salary cap room, his salary, his interest, the other interested teams, etc., but Smith is an intriguing possibility.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Right but they also have AJ Green who is maybe the best WR in the AFC. Plus Gresham who is coming on strong.

Also, if we still had Nelson and a healthy Jones we would be doing way better on offense. The loss of Nelson was massive. He was our 3rd down guy and defenses would have had to choose between Nelson and Chandler inside.
    Bills could have had Green. Could have had Geno Atkins and Andy Dalton too. But Nix is a genius.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I really don't see a point in bringing in the next Joe Blow who will blow everything up and restart. We all know we're not getting Gruden or Cowher so do you really want to start from scratch with another unknown coach?
    Its a QB league and we don't have one, we don't have one on defense either.
    getting a new qb will be starting from scratch just as much as getting a new HC.

If Fitz CLEARLY improved this year from last year then I would have confidence in Gailey developing a qb. Fitz regressed. He's worse.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    No he didn't. Many people said the extension was not a smart decision. Maybe you were fooled, and Gailey certainly was, but don't attempt to say that Fitz had us all fooled because that's not even close to true.

- - - Updated - - -

Combination of Gresham, Hawkins, Sanu, and Binns though makes up for lack of true #2.
    Binns is not even on the team any more! Hawkins is a decent slot guy, certaintly not a true #2 and Sanu has been injured alot with a few good games sandwiched in, that is it. Gresham is good, but not at the Gronkoswki/Graham level good.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    getting a new qb will be starting from scratch just as much as getting a new HC.

If Fitz CLEARLY improved this year from last year then I would have confidence in Gailey developing a qb. Fitz regressed. He's worse.
    Fitz didn't regress or improve. He is what he is. A streaky, inconsistent QB who is inaccurate but gutsy, smart but risky.

A new QB is placed into an existing system with all the players knowing the terminology. A new coach, is new OC, new DC, new language etc.

Its not the same at all.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Mahdi, you must be joking.

Gailey absolutely deserves to be fired. What evidence is there that he'll identify the issues and know how to fix them? The man looks lost every week except when they play the Chiefs.

Good coaching can be seen no matter what the talent level is. I have yet to see good coaching from Gailey and his staff.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Fitz didn't regress or improve. He is what he is. A streaky, inconsistent QB who is inaccurate but gutsy, smart but risky.

A new QB is placed into an existing system with all the players knowing the terminology. A new coach, is new OC, new DC, new language etc.

Its not the same at all.
    nope. He regressed. His nos. Show it. He may have less INT's but so did Trent once he dinked and dunked.

Fitz has gotten worse when the game is on the line. Just like Trent, he lost his mojo.

Under Gailey a new Qb whether rookie or vet would have to start like a rookie.On the becnh. Ask TJ.

UNder everyone else ....see Russell Wilson, Luck, Dalton...they start.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 12-27-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    No he didn't. Many people said the extension was not a smart decision. Maybe you were fooled, and Gailey certainly was, but don't attempt to say that Fitz had us all fooled because that's not even close to true.

- - - Updated - - -

Combination of Gresham, Hawkins, Sanu, and Binns though makes up for lack of true #2.
    And with regards to Fitz. EVERYONE was fooled. The only difference is that everyone was fooled to a certain degree, some more than others. Some felt Fitz was a franchise QB for us for the next few years, some felt he was a good fill in until we get a true top ten guy and some felt he was a decent starter that would get us to the playoffs.

There was definitely a point where all Bills fans were in consensus that Fitz was the right option for that time. It turns out Fitz was never the answer and we should have been actively looking for a replacement.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Its not the same at all.
    Yeah, it's worse to keep Gailey and co. Because it's an existing system that doesn't work.

Changing terminology is really overstated by fans. These are NFL players. If they can't learn a freaking playbook by now, they should be bagging groceries.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,911 Times in 5,303 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

For all the went wrong with the first half of this season, Gailey's Bills had every opportunity to make a playoff run. It all could have got rolling in Indi.

Not only did the team not capitalize on that opportunity, Gailey's game mgmt could clearly be identified as a cause of that failure. Shortly thereafter the team quit.

its time.

20. Post thanked by:

Historian (12-27-2012),IlluminatusUIUC (12-27-2012)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And with regards to Fitz. EVERYONE was fooled. The only difference is that everyone was fooled to a certain degree, some more than others. Some felt Fitz was a franchise QB for us for the next few years, some felt he was a good fill in until we get a true top ten guy and some felt he was a decent starter that would get us to the playoffs.

There was definitely a point where all Bills fans were in consensus that Fitz was the right option for that time. It turns out Fitz was never the answer and we should have been actively looking for a replacement.
    and this all falls on the coaches head especially is the coach is offensive minded.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62 View Post
    Mahdi, you must be joking.

Gailey absolutely deserves to be fired. What evidence is there that he'll identify the issues and know how to fix them? The man looks lost every week except when they play the Chiefs.

Good coaching can be seen no matter what the talent level is. I have yet to see good coaching from Gailey and his staff.
    I am confident the issues will be fixed because Nix has commented on the very things that we feel need to be changed. Nix has already come out and been aggressive with his comments about a new QB and also about getting an impact LB.

Gailey will not have a choice. Its the GM's job to build the team. Gailey to coach it. And I for one, maybe only one, think Gailey should get a shot with a young talented QB and a couple more impact players on O and D.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,425 Times in 14,144 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Binns is not even on the team any more! Hawkins is a decent slot guy, certaintly not a true #2 and Sanu has been injured alot with a few good games sandwiched in, that is it. Gresham is good, but not at the Gronkoswki/Graham level good.
    Who said any of those guys were a true #2? The point is they have made up for the lack of #2 with a committee approach.

- - - Updated - - -

Bull**** and you know that.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!