Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger HC.

  1. #1
    HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,414
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    22

    Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger HC.

    I was wondering who was the youngest guy to have coach the Bills? The
    organization is always hiring retreads and dinosaurs to coach this team.
    Get going and bring in a younger guy with fresh ideas and knows how to put
    modern game plan together. Sometimes I swear this team operates like it's in
    1970's or 1980's. Sheesh! It's the 21st Century OBD, stop with the antiquated
    ways of running that franchise.
    Last edited by blackonyx89; 12-28-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20,485
    Thanks
    8,720
    Thanked 3,251 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    49

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Quote Originally Posted by blackonyx89 View Post
    I was wondering who was the youngest guy to have coach the Bills? The
    organization is always hiring retreads and dinosaurs to coach this team.
    Get going and bring in a younger guy with fresh ideas and knows how to put
    modern gamplan together. Sometimes I swear this team operates like it's in
    1970's or 1980's. Sheesh! It's the 21st Century OBD, stop with the antiquated
    ways of running that franchise.
    Assistant Coaches are just as important as Head Coaches. Maybe moreso. A young guy just like in all aspects of life does not have the contacts of an older guy, therefore no young HC will be able to assemble a Coaching staff that's as good as an older HC.

  3. Post thanked by:

    YardRat (12-28-2012)

  4. #3
    Hunting God pmoon6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Silverthorne, Colorado
    Posts
    10,238
    Thanks
    4,505
    Thanked 5,585 Times in 3,373 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    35

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Quote Originally Posted by blackonyx89 View Post
    I was wondering who was the youngest guy to have coach the Bills? The
    organization is always hiring retreads and dinosaurs to coach this team.
    Get going and bring in a younger guy with fresh ideas and knows how to put
    modern game plan together. Sometimes I swear this team operates like it's in
    1970's or 1980's. Sheesh! It's the 21st Century OBD, stop with the antiquated
    ways of running that franchise.
    I don't know who the youngest was, but the best Bills' coaches were Lou Saban, Chuck Knox, Marv Levy and Wade Phillips. All former head coaches and "retreads".
    One Shot, One Kill

  5. Post thanked by:

    jlgarsh (12-28-2012),YardRat (12-28-2012)

  6. #4
    The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    6,108
    Thanks
    967
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    23

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Joe Collier was 34. You're welcome.
    Bye Bye Brady...

  7. Post thanked by:

    blackonyx89 (12-28-2012),jlgarsh (12-28-2012),pmoon6 (12-28-2012),YardRat (12-28-2012)

  8. #5
    Acid Douching Asswipe OpIv37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    75,258
    Thanks
    3,967
    Thanked 7,505 Times in 3,695 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    211

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey were both 43 when they came to the Bills.

    Youth isn't necessarily the answer.

  9. Post thanked by:

    pmoon6 (12-28-2012)

  10. #6
    PC BSing Homo Historian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Upstairs
    Posts
    32,160
    Thanks
    5,760
    Thanked 4,064 Times in 2,152 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    122

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Collier, followed by Kay Stevenson, I believe.

    Neither had the support of management.

  11. #7
    Registered User justasportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Bundoks
    Posts
    51,363
    Thanks
    790
    Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,860 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    205

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Quote Originally Posted by blackonyx89 View Post
    I was wondering who was the youngest guy to have coach the Bills? The
    organization is always hiring retreads and dinosaurs to coach this team.
    Get going and bring in a younger guy with fresh ideas and knows how to put
    modern game plan together. Sometimes I swear this team operates like it's in
    1970's or 1980's. Sheesh! It's the 21st Century OBD, stop with the antiquated
    ways of running that franchise.
    You just have to be careful. Josh Mcdaniels was one of the brightest upcoming young coaches. He crapped in Denver. IMO, his youth prevented him from gaining the respect from his players. Maybe he's learned from his mistakes

  12. #8
    Hunting God pmoon6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Silverthorne, Colorado
    Posts
    10,238
    Thanks
    4,505
    Thanked 5,585 Times in 3,373 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    35

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    You just have to be careful. Josh Mcdaniels was one of the brightest upcoming young coaches. He crapped in Denver. IMO, his youth prevented him from gaining the respect from his players. Maybe he's learned from his mistakes
    McDaniels would have been fine if he didn't publically try to bring in Cassel when he already had Cutler.

  13. #9
    The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    6,108
    Thanks
    967
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    23

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Collier, followed by Kay Stevenson, I believe.

    Neither had the support of management.
    Yup, Kay was 39 I think. I know Ramsey was 40/41.

    All being said, to answer the question, youth in head coaching isn't the problem.

  14. #10
    Registered User The Jokeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    7,302
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 741 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    30

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    You just have to be careful. Josh Mcdaniels was one of the brightest upcoming young coaches. He crapped in Denver. IMO, his youth prevented him from gaining the respect from his players. Maybe he's learned from his mistakes
    No he crapped out because he had faith that Tim Tebow was a better QB than Kyle Orton.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    McDaniels would have been fine if he didn't publically try to bring in Cassel when he already had Cutler.
    You mean Orton.

  15. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20,485
    Thanks
    8,720
    Thanked 3,251 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    49

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    No he crapped out because he had faith that Tim Tebow was a better QB than Kyle Orton.

    - - - Updated - - -



    You mean Orton.
    McDaniels was fired before Tebow got a chance to play for him. Tebow did prove he is better than Orton when he was finally given a chance.

  16. #12
    Registered User The Jokeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    7,302
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 741 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    30

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    McDaniels was fired before Tebow got a chance to play for him. Tebow did prove he is better than Orton when he was finally given a chance.
    That's debateable who was better. Personally I'd prefer Orton over Tebow if I'm making an NFL team. Though you are right in that Tebow's shot as last year under John Fox but McDaniels was the one who supposedly lobbied hard for the Broncos to trade up for Tebow initially.

  17. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20,485
    Thanks
    8,720
    Thanked 3,251 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    49

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    That's debateable who was better. Personally I'd prefer Orton over Tebow if I'm making an NFL team. Though you are right in that Tebow's shot as last year under John Fox but McDaniels was the one who supposedly lobbied hard for the Broncos to trade up for Tebow initially.
    So you would prefer losing to winning. I guess you are the perfect Bills fan.

  18. #14
    Hunting God pmoon6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Silverthorne, Colorado
    Posts
    10,238
    Thanks
    4,505
    Thanked 5,585 Times in 3,373 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    35

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    No he crapped out because he had faith that Tim Tebow was a better QB than Kyle Orton.

    - - - Updated - - -



    You mean Orton.
    No, I meant Cutler. When McDaniel when public with his desire for Cassel, the QB he coached in NE, Cutler got pissed and demanded a trade. That's where the Broncos got Orton. McDaniels made a PR mistake and Cutler acted like a baby.

    Besides, it wasn't McDaniel who replaced Orton with Tebow, the interim coach, Eric Studesville started playing him after McDaniels was fired and the season was in the ****ter anyway.

    John Fox was the one that benched Orton after they were like 1-4 with Tebow and the rest is history. Tebowmania swept the country.

  19. #15
    Registered User The Jokeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    7,302
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 741 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    30

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    So you would prefer losing to winning. I guess you are the perfect Bills fan.
    Actually I'm an imperfect Bills fan because I can see when a player is playing bad and his team in winning inspite of him. I used the same arguements as to why we should dismiss Flutie initially but was told I was foolish etc. I also do have some forethought as often bring up ideas that aren't popular. See over drafting a LT almost every year we've needed one or suggesting we take Dez Bryant a few years ago in the draft. Yet I'm no expert because there are half a dozen or more guys I was wrong about both in the draft and in free agency.

  20. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20,485
    Thanks
    8,720
    Thanked 3,251 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    49

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Actually I'm an imperfect Bills fan because I can see when a player is playing bad and his team in winning inspite of him. I used the same arguements as to why we should dismiss Flutie initially but was told I was foolish etc. I also do have some forethought as often bring up ideas that aren't popular. See over drafting a LT almost every year we've needed one or suggesting we take Dez Bryant a few years ago in the draft. Yet I'm no expert because there are half a dozen or more guys I was wrong about both in the draft and in free agency.
    Well, you were wrong about Flutie as well. If the Bills stuck with him they may have won the Super Bowl that year. And you are wrong about Tebow as well. The Broncos would have finished about 4-12 if Orton played the entire year.

  21. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Waterford, New York
    Posts
    5,728
    Thanks
    1,514
    Thanked 753 Times in 468 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    26

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    You just have to be careful. Josh Mcdaniels was one of the brightest upcoming young coaches. He crapped in Denver. IMO, his youth prevented him from gaining the respect from his players. Maybe he's learned from his mistakes
    Nobody from the Belichick coaching tree has done anything outside of New England. They couldn't bring Ernie Adams with them.
    Paul


  22. #18
    Dances With Buffaloes Ingtar33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    10,283
    Thanks
    264
    Thanked 822 Times in 357 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    39

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    That's debateable who was better. Personally I'd prefer Orton over Tebow if I'm making an NFL team. Though you are right in that Tebow's shot as last year under John Fox but McDaniels was the one who supposedly lobbied hard for the Broncos to trade up for Tebow initially.
    possibly... all i know from what i've heard is the OWNER was behind that move. so if McD was on the Tebow bandwagon, so was the owner.
    well its a fun offseason at least.

  23. #19
    Registered User kishoph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    buffalo,n.y.
    Posts
    2,222
    Thanks
    1,366
    Thanked 969 Times in 570 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    16

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    It's not the age, it's the the ability to innovate, too many of these 60+ coaches are stuck in their old ways of doing things and resistant to change. As far as a new or younger coach not being able to get good assistants because of lack of connections, that's more old thinking, if you have something that someone will by into, they'll join you.

  24. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20,485
    Thanks
    8,720
    Thanked 3,251 Times in 2,156 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    49

    Re: Question: Who was the youngest Bills coach? Maybe they need to go get a younger H

    Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    It's not the age, it's the the ability to innovate, too many of these 60+ coaches are stuck in their old ways of doing things and resistant to change. As far as a new or younger coach not being able to get good assistants because of lack of connections, that's more old thinking, if you have something that someone will by into, they'll join you.
    The only people that will buy into a young HC are people that have no experience. An experienced guy will have no reason to hitch his wagon to an unproven Coach that he does not know. So you get a guy as an OC that was a QB Coach or a WR coach. The DC coached the DL or LB's.

    The may be good Coaches all, but it is more than likely the entire Coaching staff will be in over their heads.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •