Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Alex Smith

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Wow, that's just so wrong, couldn't disagree more.

Smith coming here would bring back nightmarish flashbacks of Bruce Mathison and Vince Ferragamo.

The only chance he would have of being remotely successful in Buffalo is if miraculously the defense shot up to one of the top 3 in the league and the offense was completely based on a power running attack, which we have zero ability to run with the current oline and RB's on the roster.
    You obviously don't see how bad our quarterback is. How many more points did the Bills give up and how many more did they squander because of Fitz? 54 turnovers in 32 games over the past two seasons. He's so bad he brings the team down with him. You can see the frustration in the players every time he short hops a ball or worse throws a pick with time running out.

With Smith this year, I think we would have swept the Dolphins and beaten the Titans, Rams, and Colts. We would have been far more competitive against the Pats and Texans, possibly taking one or both of those games. Just the fact that they can count on their quarterback not to do the most boneheaded plays is going to elevate the team morale which is now dead and buried. When the Bills were down by one or two scores in the 4th quarter, did anyone feel like they would pull off a game? No way. We all knew that it would end in another sputtering drive of dinks and dunks.

I know SF is going to want a lot for Smith and for that reason I don't think he's worth it. I'd like to entertain the thought though. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. Smith is way way better than Fitz or Jackson.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,352 Times in 2,085 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

you can win a Superbowl with Alex Smith; you just need an outstanding defense and a great running game. He was having a great year this year before Harbaugh moved on from him. It wasn't Smith's fault, he just was the old regime's guy.

If you want a guy to run a great play action ball control offense, smith is your guy. If you want a guy to light up the scoreboard and threaten a defense he isn't.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

3. Post thanked by:

acehole (01-01-2013)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thank you op....When you say everone kisses your ass ...when I say it I get laughed at.

It is the truth either way.

We can still get a qb to groom.....Fitz, smith, draft pic. done.

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I don't disagree with this.

But I think there is a good chance that we end up with Smith or another year of Fitz.

Why? Who else are we going to get? There is no Andrew Luck or RGIII in this draft. Even if we get one of the top prospects this year, they likely won't be able to start right away. And we will still need a vet backup- even this team isn't dumb enough to go into the season with a rookie starter and Thigpen as a backup (plus, the next coach won't have Gailey's inexplicable love affair with Thigpen).

As far as vets, all the other options are worse than Smith. Flacco may be available but it'll be Fitz all over again. We'll have to pay way more than he's worth to get him. Vick is worse than Fitz or Alex Smith at this point. Sanchez is worse than Fitz (as we saw yesterday). Cutler or Rivers would require a trade at a hefty price, and that's assuming their teams are willing to trade them.

The options at QB just suck right now.
    Hated by the stupid..
    Loved by their moms.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    When the 2012 season ended, Alex Smith was the #3 rated QB in the entire NFL (104.1). He is head & shoulders better than any QB in this upcoming draft. At the very least he would be an excellent patch for 2 or 3 years while they find a young QB to develop. Geno Smith, Glennon, Nassib looked terrible in bowl games.

Sometimes it's as much as a month between the regular season ending and a bowl game, QB's can easily get a little off in that time. I never put much stock into 1 game. Also I'm really not interested in a 2 year band aid, there will be QB's that will be successful out of this draft, you just have to find the right one and grab him when your time comes.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by lightningbolt444 View Post
    I hate hearing I don't want other teams cast offs. People are saying it for coaches and Qbs. Smith is a stop gap at best but especially with a coach most if not all great coaches failed along the lines and were someone's castoffs.

The chance we pull a guy off the street with no experience and they are good is almost non existent. The best thing is put pieces together that fit together. Get a qb that fits the next coach get a
    Coach that fits our current group of players a bit. We have a solid core in some areas.

If these are castoffs at either qb or coach I don't care as long as it leads to wins.
    Fitz was suppose to be a stop gap but then he had a few good games combined with a good dosage of hope and delusion he was given a $65M contract. You don't need to bring a guy like Smith in as stop gap. Use whoever you already have and look forward to drafting next great prospect.
    Please Make Sense

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Fitz was suppose to be a stop gap but then he had a few good games combined with a good dosage of hope and delusion he was given a $65M contract. You don't need to bring a guy like Smith in as stop gap. Use whoever you already have and look forward to drafting next great prospect.
    I agree with this...but not by itself. Unless you have a rgIII in this draft. He is more then a stop gap...and i would like to see fitz stay and battle smith....while developing draft pick...we have to much talent to gamble on a draft pick saving this team. If he doent pan out you just dump 150 million dollars and start again? I dont think your plan will sit well with the current roster.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by acehole View Post
    I agree with this...but not by itself. Unless you have a rgIII in this draft. He is more then a stop gap...and i would like to see fitz stay and battle smith....while developing draft pick...we have to much talent to gamble on a draft pick saving this team. If he doent pan out you just dump 150 million dollars and start again? I dont think your plan will sit well with the current roster.
    Thats the problem with the whole thing. The start that Fitz had cost the Bills a chance to draft RG3/Luck and $65M only to completely suck the 2nd half of the season. Smith might cost the Bills a chance to draft Johnny Football in 2yrs by winning a couple of extra meaningless games.

The only way Alex Smith wins a SB is if he has the 1985 Bears defense & offense around him, recond setting Ravens team that won an SB, or the 1970's Steelers defense. He needs at all time great supporting cast leaving him to manage games which was part of the reason he is not starting in SF!

Now what teams does he Not win a SB with? Simple: 90's Dallas, 80's SF, All GB, 00's Pitts, 00's NYG, NO, Ind, etc...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I dont agree. He was one stupid kick returner away. 104 qb rating and like 19 and 5 as a starter. What more do you want. like 4th best in nfl.

Thats the problem with the whole thing. The start that Fitz had cost the Bills a chance to draft RG3/Luck and $65M only to completely suck the 2nd half of the season. Smith might cost the Bills a chance to draft Johnny Football in 2yrs by winning a couple of extra meaningless games.

The only way Alex Smith wins a SB is if he has the 1985 Bears defense & offense around him, recond setting Ravens team that won an SB, or the 1970's Steelers defense. He needs at all time great supporting cast leaving him to manage games which was part of the reason he is not starting in SF!

Now what teams does he Not win a SB with? Simple: 90's Dallas, 80's SF, All GB, 00's Pitts, 00's NYG, NO, Ind, etc...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I dont agree. He was one stupid kick returner away. 104 qb rating and like 19 and 5 as a starter. What more do you want. like 4th best in nfl.
    No if & buts don't count... Bill parcels always says you are what your record says you are.

49ers lost that game plain and simple. They had a chance to win it. They had a few chances, in the end what happens the better QB goes on to SB. If P. Manning or Brady was on that 49ers team I would bet the farm they would have dominated the Giants....

bTW: guys like Romo who are significantly better than Alex Smith have yet to win a SB what makes you think Smith can do it in Buffalo?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ok well have you seen his record the last two years?

Have you seen that game?

He is better then Fitz in any statistical way and better then anyone in the draft.

I don't know that he can "do it" in Buffalo for you to say that he cant is an uninformed opinion.

My main point is a new coach old or retread or new is not going to want fitz or a draft pic.

Alex Smith is a good qb. Just because his coach benched him for his guy doesn't change his stats...his potential or his performance or value in this league.

or shall we just throw away every qb one game shy of sb because he didn't cut it?

Your post is just silly man.

No if & buts don't count... Bill parcels always says you are what your record says you are.

49ers lost that game plain and simple. They had a chance to win it. They had a few chances, in the end what happens the better QB goes on to SB. If P. Manning or Brady was on that 49ers team I would bet the farm they would have dominated the Giants....

bTW: guys like Romo who are significantly better than Alex Smith have yet to win a SB what makes you think Smith can do it in Buffalo?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wisenhunt was asked repeatedly about Alex Smith in interview.'

So Bills brass seems to think he is worthy of discussing even though you find it a joke.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ok well have you seen his record the last two years?

Have you seen that game?
    Yes! In fact where I live I get all of the 49ers games and have seen Alex Smith play a number of times. In his career he has looked good exactly 2 times: 1st when Norv Turner was in charge of the offense and lastly with Harbaugh. The last 2 years, he has been a glorified game manager. Very good at that, proficient, but in a league dominated by Elite QBs he not good enough.

He is better then Fitz in any statistical way and better then anyone in the draft.
    This means absolutely nothing to me. Fitz sucks and we can agree on that but actually has a better QBR than Alex Smith in last two fully played season (2010/2011). As for this year's draftees it remains to be seen.

What we do know is that Smith will miss open WR much the same way Fitz did. Smith is good when he has a top 1 defense, a great RB and TE, and a lead. Then all he has to do is throw a few play action passes to wide open WR for the win. If you look at the final stats it can be misleading. Watching the games and the play by play breakdown, you will see what his limitations are. Further QBR can show some insight into this as it takes each play and how well the player performed into account:

2011 QBR:
    Alex Smith: 45.8%
    Ryan Fitzpatrick: 50.5%

2010 QBR:
    Alex Smith: 40.1%
    Ryan Fitzpatrick: 48.4%

*2009 Fitz was a backup and did n0t play full season, in 2012 Smith is now backup and did not play full season.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/year/2010

I don't know that he can "do it" in Buffalo for you to say that he cant is an uninformed opinion.
    ITs all opinion... all of it, but some opinions are more realistic than others. HE Could not do it in SF with an all star cast. Look at how many Pro Bowlers the 49ers have this year. In fact, the NFC PB defense has a 49er at every level... Then look at their run game, their WR and line. They are better than the Bills in all areas save for RB. Their O-line is better, their TE is way better, their WR are much better, and SMITH with all of this talent around him could not Dominate. IF he is worth getting and trading for, he should be dominant. If you want Fitz 2.o let me know because thats what it seems like.

My main point is a new coach old or retread or new is not going to want fitz or a draft pic.
    How could you possibly know what a new head coach will want. Maybe the new head coach decides to go after a QB in the 2014 draft or even 2015??? Maybe they do what Shanahan did.... that is play a bunch of retreads like Rex Grossman and trade an entire draft for a the next top QB prospect.

Alex Smith is a good qb. Just because his coach benched him for his guy doesn't change his stats...his potential or his performance or value in this league.

Depends on what you mean by good and by value in this league. In the last 30 years how many good QBs have won a SB? Do you know? Because it seems like you have no idea.

In the last 30years, 28 of the winning SB QBs were HOF or future HOF QBs! The other 2 played for a defense like the 49ers but better. THe other two SB winners were teams that had HISTORICALLY GREAT DEFENSES. So unless you think the Bills Defense can turn in the the Ravens defense or the 1985 Bears Defense and allow only 165 points for the whole season (remember that they gave up almost 200pts in 4 games!) and pitch shutouts in the post season while having a 2,000 yard rusher and a HOF TE and great O-Line then the Bills have .00000000001% Chance of winning SB with Alex Smith.

or shall we just throw away every qb one game shy of sb because he didn't cut it?
    Is that your barometer for signing a player? That they made it to a championship game? Every year back up QBs make it to the SB, why not sign them? And why are you giving Smith most of the credit? It was the team that him there, not the other way around. He was an average QB in 2011. He was a game manager, nothing more. All he had to do, was not lose the game.

Your post is just silly man.
    Your Post have no foundation. By reading them, I would guess that your the type of fan that would be happy with a 9-7 finish. A 10-6 and maybe and one and done in the playoffs. Our goals are clearly different. You want a few win, what I want is what the Pats have, what the Cowboys and 49ers had, but something that Buffalo has only dreamed of, a SB and a dynasty.

At the end, QBs like Alex Smith are not good enough. He will not be a HOF. He probably will not make a Pro Bowl anytime soon. And history shows that QBs like that don't win the big one. So there is the real difference between us. I prefer we go 1-15 the next 3 seasons and land a guy like RG3 or Luck or Johnny Football and then dominate for the next 15 years and win a SB oppose to going 9-7 next season...

value in this league?
    Of course he has value. In the following two ways: 1) he is a back up on a great team with a good-great QB... in fact his current role 2) He becomes a starter to a QB starved team like Kevin Kolb became the starter for the Cards...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wisenhunt was asked repeatedly about Alex Smith in interview.'

So Bills brass seems to think he is worthy of discussing even though you find it a joke.
    Looking at the Bills track record over the last 13 years, I am in fact getting the last laugh. A blind monkey throwing a dart at a draft board could have done a better job than the FO has.

16. Post thanked by:

SABURZFAN (01-04-2013)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If Smith comes to Buffalo, I hope that it does not cost the Bills a chance at a Franchise QB.
    I dont want to hear members eventually complaining that Alex is not good enough after initially supporting him..if the experiment fails, DO Not Blame it on Hind Sight 20/20.... but put it in the THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER
    Category...

IF the Jets Get ALEX SMITH, don't instantly change your mind and say he sucked all along.

If
    the BILLS do get Alex Smith and Co... I will wish the very best for him and the organization. I will root for him and be excited with the prospect of change and hope that he will pleasantly surprise me....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2013_NFL_Draft.html

Whatever.

My post stands.

Your posts look like a contortionist wrote them to make a point.

You opinion is that he sucks. we got it.

Your opinion is that a coach would want a 2nd round pick as qb over alex smith got it.

If you dont win a superbowl you are not worthy to play on the bills but if we draft you in second round you are?

We can agree to disagree.

If Smith comes to Buffalo, I hope that it does not cost the Bills a chance at a Franchise QB.
    I dont want to hear members eventually complaining that Alex is not good enough after initially supporting him..if the experiment fails, DO Not Blame it on Hind Sight 20/20.... but put it in the THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER
    Category...

IF the Jets Get ALEX SMITH, don't instantly change your mind and say he sucked all along.

If
    the BILLS do get Alex Smith and Co... I will wish the very best for him and the organization. I will root for him and be excited with the prospect of change and hope that he will pleasantly surprise me....
    Last edited by acehole; 01-03-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This is different issue and can be argued separetly. My original post was that we interviewed Gurdan (Accoring to my info) My contention/prediction was if that happens he will want a stable qb situation as would any perspective coach as thier careers live and die by that postion usually. You wanted to argue the merits of that...fine I did. I am not advocating alex smith just the merits of such a move. In this case I would like it. We now see the blogosphere backing up my prediction of alex smith to buffalo....I also told you people we would have Ryan Fitpatrick as our next qb...and posters like you said same thing. That is one prediction I wish I didnt make...but it happened.

Stay tuned...your need for being right clouds your ability to learn anything.

Looking at the Bills track record over the last 13 years, I am in fact getting the last laugh. A blind monkey throwing a dart at a draft board could have done a better job than the FO has.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

PS I love how you left out the 2012 season because it did not fit your narrative that he sucks and that fitz is no better.

Read and see how simple facts get in the way of your argument.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/10...-in-qb-rating/

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

PS I love how you left out the 2012 season because it did not fit your narrative that he sucks and that fitz is no better.

Read and see how simple facts get in the way of your argument.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/10...-in-qb-rating/
    I mentioned in my post that I did not include 2009 & 2012 because they were incomplete years for at least one of the players.

As far who is the better QB, to me it's Smith, clearly but that doesn't mean he is good enough in my book. Now if Gruden wanted XYZ QB, regardless of who it was, I trust in his decision and ability to make it work as he has demonstrated himself to be one of the Best QB gurus of our generation.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,307 Times in 15,454 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

WE could probably still get Levi Brown back....