• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Re: Alex Smith

I only see Smith coming if we hire Roman and he makes the call that he is worth acquiring.

Comment

• Swiper
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by The King View Post
      Smith is smarter with the football for certain. But we're drafting a QB.
      When the 2012 season ended, Alex Smith was the #3 rated QB in the entire NFL (104.1). He is head & shoulders better than any QB in this upcoming draft. At the very least he would be an excellent patch for 2 or 3 years while they find a young QB to develop. Geno Smith, Glennon, Nassib looked terrible in bowl games.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
        Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
        • Jan 2010

i dont mind getting alex smith at all and drafting a qb in rd 1 or 2...

alex is better than fitz and with the right coach could go far with the talent on the oline and spiller/jackson/stevie

Comment

• gebobs
          One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          See there two types of fans, the first wants to see his team win a SB and does not care much if the team is 1-15 or 9-7 if it lacks the talent to do grow. The second type of fan would prefer that his team has a middle of the road QB named Smith instead of a bellow average QB named Fits simply so his team can be 8-8 instead of 6-10.
          With Alex Smith, we make the playoffs this year. We all want to win Super Bowls, but you can't do until you get to the post season. Once there, anyone can go all the way.

Alex Smith would not only be a huge upgrade over Fitz, he would be an upgrade over just about every quarterback in franchise history. Of course, that's not saying much. But dammit all, I'm sick and tired of this sad parade of clowns this franchise trots out year in and year out. The Jets will get Smith and we'll be stuck with Tavaris Jackson. They'll contend for the division and we'll be looking at a 14th season of fail.
          Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
            With Alex Smith, we make the playoffs this year. We all want to win Super Bowls, but you can't do until you get to the post season. Once there, anyone can go all the way.

Alex Smith would not only be a huge upgrade over Fitz, he would be an upgrade over just about every quarterback in franchise history. Of course, that's not saying much. But dammit all, I'm sick and tired of this sad parade of clowns this franchise trots out year in and year out. The Jets will get Smith and we'll be stuck with Tavaris Jackson. They'll contend for the division and we'll be looking at a 14th season of fail.
            Wow, that's just so wrong, couldn't disagree more.

Smith coming here would bring back nightmarish flashbacks of Bruce Mathison and Vince Ferragamo.

The only chance he would have of being remotely successful in Buffalo is if miraculously the defense shot up to one of the top 3 in the league and the offense was completely based on a power running attack, which we have zero ability to run with the current oline and RB's on the roster.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• gebobs
              One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              Wow, that's just so wrong, couldn't disagree more.

Smith coming here would bring back nightmarish flashbacks of Bruce Mathison and Vince Ferragamo.

The only chance he would have of being remotely successful in Buffalo is if miraculously the defense shot up to one of the top 3 in the league and the offense was completely based on a power running attack, which we have zero ability to run with the current oline and RB's on the roster.
              You obviously don't see how bad our quarterback is. How many more points did the Bills give up and how many more did they squander because of Fitz? 54 turnovers in 32 games over the past two seasons. He's so bad he brings the team down with him. You can see the frustration in the players every time he short hops a ball or worse throws a pick with time running out.

With Smith this year, I think we would have swept the Dolphins and beaten the Titans, Rams, and Colts. We would have been far more competitive against the Pats and Texans, possibly taking one or both of those games. Just the fact that they can count on their quarterback not to do the most boneheaded plays is going to elevate the team morale which is now dead and buried. When the Bills were down by one or two scores in the 4th quarter, did anyone feel like they would pull off a game? No way. We all knew that it would end in another sputtering drive of dinks and dunks.

I know SF is going to want a lot for Smith and for that reason I don't think he's worth it. I'd like to entertain the thought though. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. Smith is way way better than Fitz or Jackson.
              Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                Dances With Buffaloes
                • Sep 2002

you can win a Superbowl with Alex Smith; you just need an outstanding defense and a great running game. He was having a great year this year before Harbaugh moved on from him. It wasn't Smith's fault, he just was the old regime's guy.

If you want a guy to run a great play action ball control offense, smith is your guy. If you want a guy to light up the scoreboard and threaten a defense he isn't.
                My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• acehole
                  • Jan 2006

Thank you op....When you say everone kisses your ass ...when I say it I get laughed at.

It is the truth either way.

We can still get a qb to groom.....Fitz, smith, draft pic. done.

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                  I don't disagree with this.

But I think there is a good chance that we end up with Smith or another year of Fitz.

Why? Who else are we going to get? There is no Andrew Luck or RGIII in this draft. Even if we get one of the top prospects this year, they likely won't be able to start right away. And we will still need a vet backup- even this team isn't dumb enough to go into the season with a rookie starter and Thigpen as a backup (plus, the next coach won't have Gailey's inexplicable love affair with Thigpen).

As far as vets, all the other options are worse than Smith. Flacco may be available but it'll be Fitz all over again. We'll have to pay way more than he's worth to get him. Vick is worse than Fitz or Alex Smith at this point. Sanchez is worse than Fitz (as we saw yesterday). Cutler or Rivers would require a trade at a hefty price, and that's assuming their teams are willing to trade them.

The options at QB just suck right now.
                  Hated by the stupid..
                  Loved by their moms.

Comment

• kishoph
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                    When the 2012 season ended, Alex Smith was the #3 rated QB in the entire NFL (104.1). He is head & shoulders better than any QB in this upcoming draft. At the very least he would be an excellent patch for 2 or 3 years while they find a young QB to develop. Geno Smith, Glennon, Nassib looked terrible in bowl games.

Sometimes it's as much as a month between the regular season ending and a bowl game, QB's can easily get a little off in that time. I never put much stock into 1 game. Also I'm really not interested in a 2 year band aid, there will be QB's that will be successful out of this draft, you just have to find the right one and grab him when your time comes.

Comment

• Mike
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by lightningbolt444 View Post
                      I hate hearing I don't want other teams cast offs. People are saying it for coaches and Qbs. Smith is a stop gap at best but especially with a coach most if not all great coaches failed along the lines and were someone's castoffs.

The chance we pull a guy off the street with no experience and they are good is almost non existent. The best thing is put pieces together that fit together. Get a qb that fits the next coach get a
                      Coach that fits our current group of players a bit. We have a solid core in some areas.

If these are castoffs at either qb or coach I don't care as long as it leads to wins.
                      Fitz was suppose to be a stop gap but then he had a few good games combined with a good dosage of hope and delusion he was given a $65M contract. You don't need to bring a guy like Smith in as stop gap. Use whoever you already have and look forward to drafting next great prospect.
                      Please Make Sense

Comment

• acehole
                        • Jan 2006

Fitz was suppose to be a stop gap but then he had a few good games combined with a good dosage of hope and delusion he was given a $65M contract. You don't need to bring a guy like Smith in as stop gap. Use whoever you already have and look forward to drafting next great prospect.
                        I agree with this...but not by itself. Unless you have a rgIII in this draft. He is more then a stop gap...and i would like to see fitz stay and battle smith....while developing draft pick...we have to much talent to gamble on a draft pick saving this team. If he doent pan out you just dump 150 million dollars and start again? I dont think your plan will sit well with the current roster.
                        Hated by the stupid..
                        Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Mike
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by acehole View Post
                          I agree with this...but not by itself. Unless you have a rgIII in this draft. He is more then a stop gap...and i would like to see fitz stay and battle smith....while developing draft pick...we have to much talent to gamble on a draft pick saving this team. If he doent pan out you just dump 150 million dollars and start again? I dont think your plan will sit well with the current roster.
                          Thats the problem with the whole thing. The start that Fitz had cost the Bills a chance to draft RG3/Luck and $65M only to completely suck the 2nd half of the season. Smith might cost the Bills a chance to draft Johnny Football in 2yrs by winning a couple of extra meaningless games.

The only way Alex Smith wins a SB is if he has the 1985 Bears defense & offense around him, recond setting Ravens team that won an SB, or the 1970's Steelers defense. He needs at all time great supporting cast leaving him to manage games which was part of the reason he is not starting in SF!

Now what teams does he Not win a SB with? Simple: 90's Dallas, 80's SF, All GB, 00's Pitts, 00's NYG, NO, Ind, etc...
                          Please Make Sense

Comment

• acehole
                            • Jan 2006

I dont agree. He was one stupid kick returner away. 104 qb rating and like 19 and 5 as a starter. What more do you want. like 4th best in nfl.

Thats the problem with the whole thing. The start that Fitz had cost the Bills a chance to draft RG3/Luck and $65M only to completely suck the 2nd half of the season. Smith might cost the Bills a chance to draft Johnny Football in 2yrs by winning a couple of extra meaningless games.

The only way Alex Smith wins a SB is if he has the 1985 Bears defense & offense around him, recond setting Ravens team that won an SB, or the 1970's Steelers defense. He needs at all time great supporting cast leaving him to manage games which was part of the reason he is not starting in SF!

Now what teams does he Not win a SB with? Simple: 90's Dallas, 80's SF, All GB, 00's Pitts, 00's NYG, NO, Ind, etc...
                            Hated by the stupid..
                            Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Mike
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by acehole View Post
                              I dont agree. He was one stupid kick returner away. 104 qb rating and like 19 and 5 as a starter. What more do you want. like 4th best in nfl.
                              No if & buts don't count... Bill parcels always says you are what your record says you are.

49ers lost that game plain and simple. They had a chance to win it. They had a few chances, in the end what happens the better QB goes on to SB. If P. Manning or Brady was on that 49ers team I would bet the farm they would have dominated the Giants....

bTW: guys like Romo who are significantly better than Alex Smith have yet to win a SB what makes you think Smith can do it in Buffalo?
                              Please Make Sense

Comment

• acehole
                                • Jan 2006

Ok well have you seen his record the last two years?

Have you seen that game?

He is better then Fitz in any statistical way and better then anyone in the draft.

I don't know that he can "do it" in Buffalo for you to say that he cant is an uninformed opinion.

My main point is a new coach old or retread or new is not going to want fitz or a draft pic.

Alex Smith is a good qb. Just because his coach benched him for his guy doesn't change his stats...his potential or his performance or value in this league.

or shall we just throw away every qb one game shy of sb because he didn't cut it?

Your post is just silly man.

No if & buts don't count... Bill parcels always says you are what your record says you are.

49ers lost that game plain and simple. They had a chance to win it. They had a few chances, in the end what happens the better QB goes on to SB. If P. Manning or Brady was on that 49ers team I would bet the farm they would have dominated the Giants....

bTW: guys like Romo who are significantly better than Alex Smith have yet to win a SB what makes you think Smith can do it in Buffalo?
                                Hated by the stupid..
                                Loved by their moms.

Comment

Working...
                                X