Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Payton on Marrone: "He's ready."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Payton on Marrone: "He's ready."

For the record, the Bills didn't interview McCoy. According to ESPN, he asked the Bills to postpone the interview because of the interviews he already scheduled.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,368 Times in 8,981 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsWin View Post
    http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf..._sean_220.html

Good read on Doug Marrone from his former mentor.
    Here's hoping this isn't a Bill Cowher style endorsement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    For the record, the Bills didn't interview McCoy. According to ESPN, he asked the Bills to postpone the interview because of the interviews he already scheduled.
    Hey go figure. We're the ugly step child where he delayed his visitation rights.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    the belichick coaching tree?

pretty much looks like this:

marcia
    |
    camera man
    |
    cheater

fixed.

4. Post thanked by:

better days (01-07-2013)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,315 Times in 15,461 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    Please name 3 people on this board who were infatuated with Chan Gailey 3 years ago.
    Do your own homework.

It's all here.

It was only three years ago, lol.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsWin View Post
    http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf..._sean_220.html

Good read on Doug Marrone from his former mentor.
    WTF's he gonna say, that he thought that the Bills could do better?

When's the last time in your memory that one coach in the NFL badmouthed or put down another besides active coaches exchanging words before or after games?

This is meaningless. These guys always say that kind of stuff. Either way, who cares what Payton thinks. Bill Walsh insisted that both Rick Mirer and Trent Edwards were going to be great. Neither even became a low-end starting QB. Who has more credibility, Payton, the coach that's won one Super Bowl and had his team in the playoffs in three of six seasons, or Walsh who in just three more seasons had his team in the playoffs if 7 of 9 seasons and won 3 Super Bowls?

What these guys say has no meaning. Bill Cowher boldly proclaimed that the Bills were going to the Super Bowl on a pregame show before the 2011 season's games for that week. He couldn't have been more wrong as the team lost most of its remaining games.

What they say and twenty bucks will get you a Trent Edwards jersey. It's entirely meaningless.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    I take it you don't like the hire? Christ, like a freakin broken record. Get over it already.
    Do you? Why? What's to like, that's concrete that is, and not just mere opinion and wishes and but's?

What hard, not soft, indicators are there that Marrone even knows how to assemble and coach a winning team in the NFL much less be competitive and win games?

What was so "innovative" about his approach to running the offense at SU? What, just because the team was horrible for years due to neglect similar to the neglect that the Bills have provided, they manage to get some semblance of offense going and it's "innovative?" Seriously, what's "innovative" about his offense at SU? Everyone's saying that but absolutely no one has pointed out why/what.

Here are the facts spun the opposite way, and more factually and objectively, than the media is doing it now:

In NO he did not even call the plays on offense as the OC. So what then did he do? What, specifically, were his responsibilities and how do those translate to success at the head coaching level?

They say that he resurrected the football program at Syracuse, but was that hard to do given the listless state that the program was in?

Is 8-5 in a weak conference the likes of Conference USA and a second-rate conference otherwise considered "resurrecting" much less good?

How many good teams, meaning teams better than mediocre, did SU beat this season? I count one.

How many good teams did they beat in 2010 when they posted an identical record, 8-5? I count one. In fact, in both of those seasons I see that SU beat primarily losing teams and mediocre teams like WVU in meaningless bowl games.

What was Marrone's record following that first 8-5 season? I see it as 5-7. At the time they had begun to talk about how he was resurrecting the program then. So what happened in 2011 when he went 5-7?

Who says that SU wouldn't have been 5-7 again next season, particularly with the jump to the ACC? Or worse for that matter.

Marrone had a pretty good QB, the same QB, for all four years, that started the last three. Is that the best that he could do w/ that situation? How is that going to work out on the Bills, who currently have no QB? Is the team going to reach for Nassib, who's otherwise projected by most to be a late 2nd to 4th rounder?

Because what I see is a coach that coached a mediocre team in a second-rate conference to an unimpressive 8-5 record in his last season, and who posted two losing seasons alongside one other unimpressive 8-5 season in a second-rate conference.

People can spin this anyway they want, but those are pretty much the facts. Again, open to your interpretation here, but I'd say that all that Marrone is, is another on-the-job candidate with limited experience at head-coaching with only modest success, in being polite, and in an arena where the competition wasn't even top notch.

If that isn't more of the same for the Bills, despite all the talk contrarily, then I don't know what is.

This is nothing more than another comfort pick for the front office, one that's probably designed more for marketing the CNY region and drawing fans of SU and Marrone, and maybe even Nassib, than it is for anything performance related. It's just the next shot-in-the-dark for this defunct front office.

IMO Brandon's future with the team will be directly hitched to this pick, as it should be. Then again, maybe he too thinks that one Wilson kicks he'll be looking for new work too. No non-WNY owner is going to keep him on for anything.
    Last edited by Fletch; 01-07-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    Please name 3 people on this board who were infatuated with Chan Gailey 3 years ago.
    LOL I don't think you'll have any trouble finding plenty that said that Nix knew what he was doing and that Gailey deserved a chance, much like they're saying now about Marrone.

The "fool me once ..." thing is unfolding nicely here.

Here's a synopsis of a good chunk of Bills fans ...

Someone's gotta buy tickets and be beer-muscle fans next season. Otherwise PT Barnum was wrong.

9. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

fool me once... uh... can't get fooled again

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

BTW I love Dubya. His whole family is insanely liberal. His presidency is marred by his piece of **** loser VP Dick Cheney. He wore the pants during those 8 years.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Everyone knows Marrone's weaknesses of he never was a head coach in the NFL, it's not like he made Syracuse a powerhouse, Syracuse is in a weak conference and what kind of assistants will he get and will they be up for the task. Most understand that. It is a risky hire but many people, myself included, seems like the more we hear about this guy the more we see he has a lot of the qualities of a good head coach and does not seem like a Chan Gailey or Dick Jauron type of head coach.
    I know a lot of people wanted Jon Gruden or Cowher however I have not heard them interview with any team.

I think the potential is there that Marrone could turn into a really good coach. All we have now is opinions. No one can say for certain this was a great hire or bad hire. Only time will tell. Until he disappoints me I will support the guy.

13. Post thanked by:

justasportsfan (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

marrone at least has the fact that he is an in the trenches guy. line play matters to him. coaching up the line is something he's done.

better than glitzy guys who are looknig to win games by flare passes with no blocking.

one thing i read was the coaching really comes down to the support staff you bring at the positional level. that's where you get guys to step it up to play a level higher. the OC/DC and HC are all strategically focused. the support guys get the tactics down. last year, the bills hired a DL coach who sucked at UB. So if marrone has guys who can get people to play better, i'm ready for it.

i just don't like that russ is involved. 13 years of russ is enough in my mind.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Do your own homework.

It's all here.

It was only three years ago, lol.
    You're the one who made the claim.