would you bring back merriman as a backup behind anderson, mario, moore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: would you bring back merriman as a backup behind anderson, mario, moore?

he may do better with a different DC. Let him compete at camp like everyone else.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OLDSRIP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
      he may do better with a different DC. Let him compete at camp like everyone else.
      Thats what I think too.
      bring him to camp, see what happens. I'm sure his work ethic will have a positive
      affect on others. With him, it's all about health.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
        Merriman is done. Washed up. He is a JAG now, there is not future with him. They should look elsewhere.
        Someone needs to pay more attention.

Comment

• GingerP
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
          Someone needs to pay more attention.
          Someone is in denial.

Merriman is a shell of himself. He can't rush the passer anymore, he is done. He was once a great player, but that was 2007. It's been 6 years.

Why should Merriman be brought back? He isn't going to get any better and is still a huge injury risk. As a backup, he isn't going to contribute on ST and isn't going to be part of the long-term solution. The Bills paid the guy a lot of money the last couple years, they owe him nothing.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
            • Feb 2005

You might have an argument a year ago... But he's since proven otherwise.

In limited spot duty he had 17 tackles, 1 sack, 3 tackles for loss, 1 blocked pass.

I say he makes a great OLB... And vet minimum to boot.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Someone is in denial.

Merriman is a shell of himself. He can't rush the passer anymore, he is done. He was once a great player, but that was 2007. It's been 6 years.

Why should Merriman be brought back? He isn't going to get any better and is still a huge injury risk. As a backup, he isn't going to contribute on ST and isn't going to be part of the long-term solution. The Bills paid the guy a lot of money the last couple years, they owe him nothing.
              everyone seemed like a shell of themselves under Wanny. What do we have to lose by making him compete under a new DC?
              sacrifice1

Comment

• GingerP
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                everyone seemed like a shell of themselves under Wanny. What do we have to lose by making him compete under a new DC?
                Because he has been a shell of himself since 2007. Nothing's changed, the guy is done. He hasn't been the same since his knee injury in 2007. He has had the achilles injury after that, but he is no longer explosive off the ball. That is what made him special.

Comment

• GingerP
                  • Aug 2012

You might have an argument a year ago... But he's since proven otherwise.

In limited spot duty he had 17 tackles, 1 sack, 3 tackles for loss, 1 blocked pass.

I say he makes a great OLB... And vet minimum to boot.
                  Those are decidedly underwhelming numbers, especially since he fell into the sack. The guy can't rush the passer anymore. Physically, he just doesn't get off the ball like he did in 2007.

Why would you pay the vet minimum of $840K to him? He is at best a backup at this point in his career. He can't rush the passer anymore. He doesn't play on ST. He is getting older and isn't going to be playing much longer at any rate. Face it, it is over for the guy. His career is done, and it isn't worth keeping him around just because of his name.

You can bring in a rookie and pay him less than half of what minimum would be for Merriman, and that player would contribute on ST and would have a chance of developing into something more. Or... you could bring in another veteran player who isn't washed up for the same money.

It's Lights Out for Merriman's career. Stick a fork in the guy.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Because he has been a shell of himself since 2007. Nothing's changed, the guy is done. He hasn't been the same since his knee injury in 2007. He has had the achilles injury after that, but he is no longer explosive off the ball. That is what made him special.
                    camp is another way to try out. I would rather have the coaches check him out for themselves rather than just have them listen to what us fans think.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                      • Feb 2005

Justa... Stop making this guy repeat himself... Every post is the same. He's obviously much wiser than you and I.

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

At the right price. He's got to win a job in training camp though.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Justa... Stop making this guy repeat himself... Every post is the same. He's obviously much wiser than you and I.
                          Reggie Bush is playing his best under a different team. With Marrone paving the way, Curtis MArtin had his best season late in his career.

Think Brees himself. The fins said his shoulder was done. Good thing the Saints didn't stick a fork in him. Not saying Shawne will do the same but it cost us nothing to make him try out.
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• zone
                            No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
                            • Oct 2003

Achilles inuries take a while to come back form, look at Spikes. Merriman played very well at the end of the year after being picked up off the street and playing a positionhe had never played.
                            www.blzbus.com

Comment

• GingerP
                              • Aug 2012

Commenting on me just shows how little evidence there is that Merriman is worth a damn anymore.

The fact is, Merriman hasn't been productive since 2007. That is a long time, and he isn't about to suddenly re-discover what he had then. The guy wasn't even average last year, he showed no pass rush skills anymore. Why would any team bring him in?

Merriman has probably played his last down in the NFL. You can pick up guys off the street who can contribute what he does at this point, and those guys are going to be younger, cheaper and contribute on ST. The only reason you want him back is because he is a recognizable name. If you are going to do that, bring back Bruce Smith. He'd probably contribute more.

Comment

• GingerP
                                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by zone View Post
                                Achilles inuries take a while to come back form, look at Spikes. Merriman played very well at the end of the year after being picked up off the street and playing a positionhe had never played.
                                How did he play well? He showed no ability to rush the passer anymore. He couldn't pressure the QB. The Bills defense still was dreadful with him. I thought he sucked. Pretty much anyone can make a play now and then, but Merriman did next to nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X