Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Manti Te'o a horrific liar?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Manti Te'o a horrific liar?

Quote Originally Posted by K-Gun View Post

But if your picture was used by nearly every major media outlet, and they reported you were Manti Teo's dead girlfriend, you may want to have legal recourse. Especially if you're not Manti Teo's dead girlfriend, and you're not dead.

I'm not sure, but I would assume that if you post a picture of yourself on the internet, that you relinquish any rights to that picture. One thing is, they had a hard time connecting the picture to the real person, because it was altered. You can take any picture and do a Google image search on it, but I guess it wasn't connecting because it was changed somewhat.

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,184 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

story is beyond weird!
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    I'm not sure, but I would assume that if you post a picture of yourself on the internet, that you relinquish any rights to that picture. One thing is, they had a hard time connecting the picture to the real person, because it was altered. You can take any picture and do a Google image search on it, but I guess it wasn't connecting because it was changed somewhat.
    I don't think publishing your picture on the internet grants anyone the right to use it to publicly identify someone you are not.

What if someone took your pic FB, and then you saw yourself listed in the Buffalo news as a pedophile with a different name than yours who just moved into your very same Buffalo neighborhood. That's ok b/c you posted the pic on FB?

Yeah, if it was so altered that no one could possibly recognize you, and there's no damage, that's one thing. But several people have had their lives ruined over this very thing in the media recently and there was no alterations of the pics. There was just lazy media not performing due diligence.
    [W]e are busy that we may have leisure, and make war that we may live in peace...

[F]or no one chooses to be at war, or provokes war, for the sake of being at war; any one would seem absolutely murderous if he were to make enemies of his friends in order to bring about battle and slaughter...

- Aristotle

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think publishing your picture on the internet grants anyone the right to use it to publicly identify someone you are not.

What if someone took your pic FB, and then you saw yourself listed in the Buffalo news as a pedophile with a different name than yours who just moved into your very same Buffalo neighborhood. That's ok b/c you posted the pic on FB?

Yeah, if it was so altered that no one could possibly recognize you, and there's no damage, that's one thing. But several people have had their lives ruined over this very thing in the media recently and there was no alterations of the pics. There was just lazy media not performing due diligence.

Believe me, I don't think it's ok, but I don't think there's any legal course you can take, I could be wrong, but as I said, I assume that there isn't.

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Oh, in case you aren't already seeing the circus evolve, his girlfriend is releasing a statement on twitter between 11 and noon today... (even though it's 12:45)

https://twitter.com/LennayKay/status/291953245209886720
    Bye Bye Brady...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i think its PST...not EST.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/per...efamation.html

Typically, the elements of a cause of action for defamation include:

1 - A false and defamatory statement concerning another;
    2 - The unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (that is, somebody other than the person defamed by the statement);
    3 - If the defamatory matter is of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher; and
    4 - Damage to the plaintiff.

Again...claiming that a chick is your girlfriend is slightly different than accusing somebody of being a pedophile. What are the damages that would be caused by claiming that somebody (who may or may not actually exist) is your girlfriend.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    A couple of questions...

Was he perhaps looking to be on the MTV show Catfish?

Does any of this matter on the field of play?

If Teo can crush running backs without takling from behind for 5 yard gains like Poz did than I don't care about any of this.
    I had thoughts of Catfish too but I had no idea it was made into a tv show. As it was a pretty good documentary film, if real.

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,184 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the good thing about this story is that I didn't think I would be surprised by anything, this story is completely crazy and surprising.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderGun View Post
    http://www.expertlaw.com/library/per...efamation.html

Typically, the elements of a cause of action for defamation include:

1 - A false and defamatory statement concerning another;
    2 - The unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (that is, somebody other than the person defamed by the statement);
    3 - If the defamatory matter is of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher; and
    4 - Damage to the plaintiff.

Again...claiming that a chick is your girlfriend is slightly different than accusing somebody of being a pedophile. What are the damages that would be caused by claiming that somebody (who may or may not actually exist) is your girlfriend.
    Couple things- This is more like identify theft & harassment than defamation of character. I don't know if you or I can say what kind of damage can be done seeing yourself on a CBS news special about your death and relationship with a football star you never met. Cue Twilight Zone music. The chick is quoted as saying she was horrified. On a purely psychological level the potential for harm is pretty huge on the face of it, even if there's no other fall out from this for her.

It looks like her identity is now known, and there could be significant material damage.

Nevertheless, I think there should be significant accountability for media agencies not to create false identities of real people. This isn't really a "no harm, no foul" kind of situation. Its a dangerous, dangerous precedent that probably won;t get media attention until someone gets killed over a false media created identity.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    Anyone who has posted in the Spin Zone over the years has probably figured out that I don't have a very high opinion of the Mormon religion (just as many have a low opinion of my evangelical Christian faith). Still, Mormons are generally seen as honest to a fault. It's just just crazy to see this happenning. I hope for his sake he turns out to be a victim of a hoax. It's better to be seen as an honest fool rather thana dishonest fool. It seems highly unlikely that he was not in on it, though. I mean, this was a really elaborate long term hoax, and extremely difficult to pull off without Teo's knowledge, and with no apparent purpose other than to embarrass the guy, if he was not in on it. If he was in on it, Teo looks to have some deep seated psychological problems. That would be a huge red flag for any team considering drafting him.
    Mormons honest to a fault, really? Last year we saw one of the most high profile Mormons lying through his teeth every day for the purpose of personal gain. I didn't see any fellow Mormons calling him out for it. Now I'm not going to call out all Mormons as pathological liars just because Mitt Romney is one, but I'm certainly not going to view Mormons as honest to a fault after seeing Romney lie and his campaign say they were not going to let fact checkers influence what they will say.

12. Post thanked by:

Meathead (01-17-2013),Mouldsie (01-17-2013),trapezeus (01-17-2013)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    Mormons honest to a fault, really? Last year we saw one of the most high profile Mormons lying through his teeth every day for the purpose of personal gain. I didn't see any fellow Mormons calling him out for it. Now I'm not going to call out all Mormons as pathological liars just because Mitt Romney is one, but I'm certainly not going to view Mormons as honest to a fault after seeing Romney lie and his campaign say they were not going to let fact checkers influence what they will say.
    Psssst...they're all liars...shhhh...don't tell anyone.

I'll leave it up to your interpretation to decide whether I mean politicians or religions.

14. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (01-17-2013)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Miss Cleo returns!
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,900 Times in 3,466 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

can someone cut to the chase on the facts on this? too lazy to read about it

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Sell Local Ralph View Post
    can someone cut to the chase on the facts on this? too lazy to read about it
    My take: 50% hoax, 40% predatory opportunist, 10% innocent, dumb kid. Teo is a kid - 20 or so. Being dumb at 20 is nothing new - been so forever. And nothing wrong with that. Time was, society protected the young from the ugliness of the adult world until they learned for themselves, from incremental experience. Not these days.

Now, all over the internet, the tv, the radio, this kid is getting piled on...he's the topic of the day.

That's shameful. Folks ought to leave it alone. Leave him alone.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    My take: 50% hoax, 40% predatory opportunist, 10% innocent, dumb kid. Teo is a kid - 20 or so. Being dumb at 20 is nothing new - been so forever. And nothing wrong with that. Time was, society protected the young from the ugliness of the adult world until they learned for themselves, from incremental experience. Not these days.

Now, all over the internet, the tv, the radio, this kid is getting piled on...he's the topic of the day.

That's shameful. Folks ought to leave it alone. Leave him alone.
    Why would we leave him alone? His story has been shoved down our faces for how long? Now that we find out it's a farce, we deserve to know the truth.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    Why would we leave him alone? His story has been shoved down our faces for how long? Now that we find out it's a farce, we deserve to know the truth.
    Why do you "deserve" to know the truth? Do you think you have some sort of claim on a total stranger? Does everybody here or anywhere have to know everything about you and yours if something became hawked by the media? Who do it for the $.

Of course not.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 01-17-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Why do you "deserve" to know the truth? Do you think you have some sort of claim on a total stranger? Does everybody here or anywhere have to know everything about you and yours if something became hawked by the media?

Of course not.
    If I told my story to them for personal gain? Then yes, they do deserve to know the truth.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    If I told my story to them for personal gain? Then yes, they do deserve to know the truth.
    Are you saying that Teo told a story for personal gain?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Are you saying that Teo told a story for personal gain?
    Why else would he have told it?