• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: Manti Te'o a horrific liar?

sounds like a new episode of Catfish.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ThunderGun
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by K-Gun View Post
      I don't know if you read the whole article.

But if your picture was used by nearly every major media outlet, and they reported you were Manti Teo's dead girlfriend, you may want to have legal recourse. Especially if you're not Manti Teo's dead girlfriend, and you're not dead.
      smh....

And what would the grounds be for this frivolous lawsuit? What damages would the girl have incurred?

God damn, this is what's wrong with our society. **** it, sue everybody!

this is a dangerous trend that seems to be happening with some frequency

Comment

• Ralonzo
        Certainly don't fear me. Not any more.
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
        THIS IS THE TYPE OF LEADERSHIP TEAMS COVET! GREAT INTANGIBLES!
        THE GREAT MANTI TEO, I HOPE HE'S THERE WHEN THE BILLS DRAFT, NO CHANCE THOUGH, HE'S THE REAL DEAL!
        It's been proven that people will naturally follow guys from Hawaii who tell giant unbelievable lies all the time :)

Originally posted by Bert102176 View Post
        And some of u are so ignorant and stupid for the certain coments u made about Te'o and not even knowing the whole story
        It may be too early to know the whole story but it's never too early to make fun of it...

TOP 10 ANAGRAMS for Teo's "girlfriend" LENNAY MARIE KEKUA
        =========================================================

10) A Leakier Yank Menu
        9) A Lankier Auk Enemy
        8) A Keener Alumni Yak
        7) Rue A Kayak Linemen
        6) A Remake Unlike Any
        5) A Real Ink Enema, Yuk
        4) A Kinky Urea Enamel
        3) Nuke A Manlike Year
        2) Eureka, Men Kin A Lay
        1) Yank Near Leukemia
        His words carry lies that would break a less deceitful man's jaw. He's received a Nobel Peace Prize just for campaigning. He bowls 37.

He is the Most Intolerable Man In The World.

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer to put it on my $6 trillion tab. Stay stupid, my friends."

Comment

• Wolffman
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Mike13 View Post
          No one can possibly be that dumb and be accepted into Notre Dame.
          Obviously this is an incorrect statement.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
            The Voice of Reason
            • Jul 2007

What's weird is this stuff has happened before. He could be just that naive. People have gone on for years talking to people they met through dating sites/whatever that just ended up being fakes/liars.
            Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• kishoph
              • Jun 2003

But if your picture was used by nearly every major media outlet, and they reported you were Manti Teo's dead girlfriend, you may want to have legal recourse. Especially if you're not Manti Teo's dead girlfriend, and you're not dead.

I'm not sure, but I would assume that if you post a picture of yourself on the internet, that you relinquish any rights to that picture. One thing is, they had a hard time connecting the picture to the real person, because it was altered. You can take any picture and do a Google image search on it, but I guess it wasn't connecting because it was changed somewhat.

Comment

• imbondz
                Democrats are people too
                • Jan 2003

story is beyond weird!
                My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• K-Gun
                  Deal with it
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by kishoph View Post
                  I'm not sure, but I would assume that if you post a picture of yourself on the internet, that you relinquish any rights to that picture. One thing is, they had a hard time connecting the picture to the real person, because it was altered. You can take any picture and do a Google image search on it, but I guess it wasn't connecting because it was changed somewhat.
                  I don't think publishing your picture on the internet grants anyone the right to use it to publicly identify someone you are not.

What if someone took your pic FB, and then you saw yourself listed in the Buffalo news as a pedophile with a different name than yours who just moved into your very same Buffalo neighborhood. That's ok b/c you posted the pic on FB?

Yeah, if it was so altered that no one could possibly recognize you, and there's no damage, that's one thing. But several people have had their lives ruined over this very thing in the media recently and there was no alterations of the pics. There was just lazy media not performing due diligence.
                  [W]e are busy that we may have leisure, and make war that we may live in peace...

[F]or no one chooses to be at war, or provokes war, for the sake of being at war; any one would seem absolutely murderous if he were to make enemies of his friends in order to bring about battle and slaughter...

- Aristotle

Comment

• kishoph
                    • Jun 2003

I don't think publishing your picture on the internet grants anyone the right to use it to publicly identify someone you are not.

What if someone took your pic FB, and then you saw yourself listed in the Buffalo news as a pedophile with a different name than yours who just moved into your very same Buffalo neighborhood. That's ok b/c you posted the pic on FB?

Yeah, if it was so altered that no one could possibly recognize you, and there's no damage, that's one thing. But several people have had their lives ruined over this very thing in the media recently and there was no alterations of the pics. There was just lazy media not performing due diligence.

Believe me, I don't think it's ok, but I don't think there's any legal course you can take, I could be wrong, but as I said, I assume that there isn't.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Jul 2007

Oh, in case you aren't already seeing the circus evolve, his girlfriend is releasing a statement on twitter between 11 and noon today... (even though it's 12:45)

Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

i think its PST...not EST.

Comment

• ThunderGun
                          • Dec 2011

Typically, the elements of a cause of action for defamation include:

1 - A false and defamatory statement concerning another;
                          2 - The unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (that is, somebody other than the person defamed by the statement);
                          3 - If the defamatory matter is of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher; and
                          4 - Damage to the plaintiff.

Again...claiming that a chick is your girlfriend is slightly different than accusing somebody of being a pedophile. What are the damages that would be caused by claiming that somebody (who may or may not actually exist) is your girlfriend.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                            A couple of questions...

Was he perhaps looking to be on the MTV show Catfish?

Does any of this matter on the field of play?

If Teo can crush running backs without takling from behind for 5 yard gains like Poz did than I don't care about any of this.
                            I had thoughts of Catfish too but I had no idea it was made into a tv show. As it was a pretty good documentary film, if real.

Comment

• imbondz
                              Democrats are people too
                              • Jan 2003

the good thing about this story is that I didn't think I would be surprised by anything, this story is completely crazy and surprising.
                              My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• K-Gun
                                Deal with it
                                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by ThunderGun View Post
                                http://www.expertlaw.com/library/per...efamation.html

Typically, the elements of a cause of action for defamation include:

1 - A false and defamatory statement concerning another;
                                2 - The unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (that is, somebody other than the person defamed by the statement);
                                3 - If the defamatory matter is of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher; and
                                4 - Damage to the plaintiff.

Again...claiming that a chick is your girlfriend is slightly different than accusing somebody of being a pedophile. What are the damages that would be caused by claiming that somebody (who may or may not actually exist) is your girlfriend.
                                Couple things- This is more like identify theft & harassment than defamation of character. I don't know if you or I can say what kind of damage can be done seeing yourself on a CBS news special about your death and relationship with a football star you never met. Cue Twilight Zone music. The chick is quoted as saying she was horrified. On a purely psychological level the potential for harm is pretty huge on the face of it, even if there's no other fall out from this for her.

It looks like her identity is now known, and there could be significant material damage.

Nevertheless, I think there should be significant accountability for media agencies not to create false identities of real people. This isn't really a "no harm, no foul" kind of situation. Its a dangerous, dangerous precedent that probably won;t get media attention until someone gets killed over a false media created identity.
                                [W]e are busy that we may have leisure, and make war that we may live in peace...

[F]or no one chooses to be at war, or provokes war, for the sake of being at war; any one would seem absolutely murderous if he were to make enemies of his friends in order to bring about battle and slaughter...

- Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                                X