Thread: Real expectations

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Real expectations

OK. So there is no Andrew Luck in this draft. By some chance the Bills draft a QB in round one, then I think we can all agree that whom ever that is will not lead us to the playoffs. If we draft a QB in round one then we are going to start that QB this year. That means no playoffs. I don't think that Nassib or any other QB can lead the bills like Luck or RG3 did. So if you want the bills to make the playoffs then we need a veteran QB. There is no veteran QB that is "Significantly" better than Ryan F. We are going to draft a QB. Maybe Ryan N. Maybe not. Either way if you want the Bills to make the play offs then it is going to happen with basically the same team and better coaching, at least for this year.

Visit my blog here. Feel free to call me by name. Peter.

http://img32.exs.cx/img32/3301/peterstandlarge4zl.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Real expectations

Bouncing thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There is no Andrew Luck in this draft as far as a "sure pick" goes, but that certainly doesn't mean that there isn't a QB that will turn out as good or better than Luck, the right system and the right coaching, along with talent can turn a 6th rounder into Tom Brady.

4. Post thanked by:

Bert102176 (01-19-2013),RedEyE (01-19-2013)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I agree with the above post. The sure thing is not there.

I see the Bills pulling in FAs and rookies alike. Holding a camp with a big QB competition.

And we all really need to be prepared to see Fitz in Buffalo another season. He's no superstar but he is serviceable and might just be the guy until the Bills can get the guy they do like. The 2014 draft is going to be overflowing with QBs.
    Last edited by RedEyE; 01-19-2013 at 11:37 AM.

6. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (01-20-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,555 Times in 17,440 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DGreg View Post
    OK. So there is no Andrew Luck in this draft. By some chance the Bills draft a QB in round one, then I think we can all agree that whom ever that is will not lead us to the playoffs. If we draft a QB in round one then we are going to start that QB this year. That means no playoffs. I don't think that Nassib or any other QB can lead the bills like Luck or RG3 did. So if you want the bills to make the playoffs then we need a veteran QB. There is no veteran QB that is "Significantly" better than Ryan F. We are going to draft a QB. Maybe Ryan N. Maybe not. Either way if you want the Bills to make the play offs then it is going to happen with basically the same team and better coaching, at least for this year.

Visit my blog here. Feel free to call me by name. Peter.

http://img32.exs.cx/img32/3301/peterstandlarge4zl.jpg
    No, we can't all agree on that.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

8. Post thanked by:

kishoph (01-19-2013)

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If ****spatrick is still here next year, then they better have all the other holes on this roster plugged - lb, wr, ot, and Levitre and Byrd re-signed.

10. Post thanked by:

Bert102176 (01-19-2013),YardRat (01-19-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No QB until the 2nd round or lower. That's just the way it's going to be this year. I don't want us to waste a 1st round pick on some guy who is no better than JP Losman.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    There is no Andrew Luck in this draft as far as a "sure pick" goes, but that certainly doesn't mean that there isn't a QB that will turn out as good or better than Luck, the right system and the right coaching, along with talent can turn a 6th rounder into Tom Brady.
    Which explains why 6th rounders are better than 1st rounders... Your assuming that the NFL has no ability to draft. Then there is this strange circular logic:

Why is Brady good? Because of Bill Belichick
    Why is Belichick good? Because of Brady

To put in perpective, Brady might be the best QB of all time. Unlike Marino, Montana, etc... He did not have any great WR to throw to the majority of his career and when he did he threw for 50TDs on an offense that was the best in NFL history and took his team to 18-1! To think for a second that he had Nothing to do with his own success is absurd and completely ludicrous.
    Please Make Sense

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Which explains why 6th rounders are better than 1st rounders... Your assuming that the NFL has no ability to draft. Then there is this strange circular logic:

Why is Brady good? Because of Bill Belichick
    Why is Belichick good? Because of Brady

To put in perpective, Brady might be the best QB of all time. Unlike Marino, Montana, etc... He did not have any great WR to throw to the majority of his career and when he did he threw for 50TDs on an offense that was the best in NFL history and took his team to 18-1! To think for a second that he had Nothing to do with his own success is absurd and completely ludicrous.
    Did you not see where I put "along with talent" ? My whole point is that just because some "experts" say that there is not a QB worth spending a 1st round pick on, doesn't mean anything, there's a good/great QB in every draft, if he has the talent and is developed right. Look at the last two drafts, Kaepernick in 2011 (projected round 2-3) and Wilson in 2012 (projected round 3-4), do you think those guys were not worth a high 1st round pick ? the 49er's and Seahawks were fortunate that those guys did fall to them and nobody else grabbed them. If you're sure that whatever QB is the guy for your team, you take him when you have the chance and not hope that he'll fall to you in a later round. I don't want to hear in 2-3 years the Bills GM say, well we liked him, but we had him targeted as a 2nd round pick, while some other team that took a chance on the kid and drafted him earlier is having success.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RedEyE View Post
    I agree with the above post. The sure thing is not there.

I see the Bills pulling in FAs and rookies alike. Holding a camp with a big QB competition.

And we all really need to be prepared to see Fitz in Buffalo another season. He's no superstar but he is serviceable and might just be the guy until the Bills can get the guy they do like. The 2014 draft is going to be overflowing with QBs.
    After last season, it is clear Fitz is not serviceable. I would rather watch the Bills lose with a fresh face than watch Fitz & his ugly beard.

15. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (01-20-2013)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    After last season, it is clear Fitz is not serviceable. I would rather watch the Bills lose with a fresh face than watch Fitz & His ugly beard.
    I understand that nobody wants Fitz leading this team anywhere, any more, myself included. But my point is he may be the best option availble after camp. The QB draft class is a bit on the pathetic side. The FA list are all retreads. We may have Fitz shoved down our throats one more year if nobody beats him out at camp. I'm just saying prepare yourself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I agree that NO QB in this draft is worth the #8 pick. Some are saying go BPA and move back into the 1st round... But losing draft picks is counter productive. My thoughts are to move down as far as possible. I don't care if we can only move 2 spots... Then we go from there with an extra 2nd or 3rd.

That said... I would consider Nassib... But not for all the obvious reasons (same coaches, same offense, etc.). He was raw 3 years ago... He's shown tremendous growth over those 3 years... And if last season is any indicator, his growth is on an exponential scale. If that continues for 1 or 2 more seasons, he could, quite possibly, become elite in the NFL.

Hell... Drafting is a crap shoot anyway.