Thread: Sleeper Prospects at the Combine

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sleeper Prospects at the Combine

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2013/Features/UTR-home.aspx

Under The Radar: Prospect List

Under The Radar: Armonty Bryant Defensive End -- East Central Oklahoma
    Armonty Bryant first caught my eye at the Texas vs. the Nation game on February 2nd in Allen, Texas. Big number 9 was clearly the best player on the field that day, as the 6'4", 260# guy with the white helmet was flying past offensive linemen with AQ conference logos. He seemed to be making an impact just about every play. Bryant hit the quarterback on several dropbacks, drew a holding penalty in the backfield on a run to his side, and made a one-armed tackle while engaged with the RT. I kept looking down at my roster so I would remember to check this guy from East Central Oklahoma when I got back home.

Armonty Bryant is a big, athletic, quick pass rusher. At his size, he looks like he can play 4-3 defensive end or 3-4 outside linebacker. Playing DE for the ECU Tigers, he rung up 19 TFLs, 13.5 sacks, 2 Forced Fumbles and 4(!) blocked kicks as a sophomore in 2010. His production dropped off quite a bit in 2011 as he managed only 12.5 TFLs and 3 sacks, but still managed to force 3 fumbles and block 3 more kicks. His senior year production was great, as he rung up 17.5 TFLs, 10.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and blocked 2 more kicks, but he missed three games in October due to a minor drug arrest for selling $20 bags of marijuana. At practice. To an undercover cop.

Bryant received an invite to the combine, so he won't be a sleeper for long. What teams will have to find out is, what kind of guy is he? Why did his production drop off so much his Junior year? Is he a talented guy who just didn't get the same start that the more lauded prospects from big schools? Or is he a knucklehead more concerned about taking iPhone picture of himself and selling weed than focusing on practice and getting better? Is he strictly a pass rusher or can he use his athleticism to transition to an OLB in a 3 man front? He will definitely be one to watch at the combine.

Under The Radar: Lamar Mady Offensive Guard -- Youngstown State
    The first time I heard of Lamar Mady was attending the Texas vs. the Nation game this year. I noticed a guy on the line for the Nation squad that looked smaller than everyone else. I watched him on one particular snap and was surprised to see what a great push he got. I watched again, and saw the same thing. Later in the game, I was impressed to see him completely lock out the rushing DT, then on the next play push him well back and out of the pocket, giving the QB all day to throw. I was still concerned about his size, but he was definitely the best offensive lineman on the field that day.

Lamar Mady is listed by his school as 6'3", 315#, and NFLDraftScout has him at 6'2", 314#. If he meets either of those numbers, he is plenty big enough to play in the NFL. Like a lot of these under the radar players, the level of competition he faced week in and week out wasn't stellar, and with essentially statless offensive linemen it's very difficult to compare candidates, but believe me that this guy can play. He will be a late-round steal for a club (and there are many) that needs a guard to help out on their line.

Mady received an invite to the combine, so you will see him in action soon. The most important part of his combine might just be the weigh-in. If he really is 6'2" (the same height as Top 10 player Chance Warmack and Pro Bowl alternate Andy Levitre) then there will be no question on whether or not he should get a shot at the next level. I'm not sure how he'll do in the timed events, but the guy can lock on to a defender and give him a nice punch.

Under The Radar: Rontez Miles Free Safety -- California (PA)
    I first was given the heads-up on Miles from draft junkie Shane Hallam as someone to watch at the Tx vs the Nation game. He didn't disappoint. Miles was active against both the run and the pass, knifing into the backfield in a goal-to-go situation stuffing the Texas RB. Later in the game, he made a "right place, right time" interception. He is a bit undersized, but it doesn't stop him from sticking his nose into the pile or making the big hit.

Rontez Miles is an attacking hitter as a safety. In his 48 career college games, Miles has racked up 257 tackles, including 23 TFLs and 4 sacks. He's also managed 10 INTs and 4 blocked kicks. While Miles isn't the most-polished tackler, he always seems to find the ball and delivers plenty of stopping power with his hits. He typically played very deep at FS but was also used as a coverage or blitzer from the slot. Miles was an enthusiastic and effective special teamer as well, which he'll likely have to show to initially make a squad this fall. His play reminds me a lot of David Sims of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Miles received an invite to the combine, so you will get to see him for yourself. Miles appears to have alopecia, so he will be easy to recognize. Undoubtedly, he will be asked by teams at the combine about many pictures on his MySpace account which show him flashing gang signs. Rontez, if you're reading this, it's time to put that kid stuff to bed. This is serious, and only first rounders get second chances.

2. Post thanked by:

Mouldsie (02-18-2013)