• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: Looks like Nelson is not going to be tendered

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
    His tender offer would be 1.3 million, so we'll probably let him hit the market.

But I wouldn't be shocked if we re-signed him to the vet minimum shortly after free agency begins.

FWIW the dude's not a bad ball player.

Good route runner, finds soft spots in coverage, and converted some important first downs when healthy.

Definitely a step up from most of the scrubs on our roster.

Not a deal breaker if he goes though. Either way.
    The second I saw that they think were struggling with the salary cap I discarded this report.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Who the hell is Jason Cole?
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• fluteflakes
        • Jan 2013

There is no way he isn't in a Bills uniform next year. He's easily got the physical talent to be a good player for us, if he can stay healthy this year, I expect good, if not great things. This happens a lot, we're most likely letting him go so he can test the waters and then come back for a vet minimum deal. Saving us a bit more cap and making it easier to bring back Byrd, Levitre and Leodis.

And yea, the idea that the team is in "cap hell" because we might not be able to resign our best player as the highest paid guard in the NFL is laughable at best. I think we make a big splash this FA again, maybe bring in a Bowe or a Wallace or a Harvin.

Edit: F me, this report was from a dolphins beat writer. Jason Cole did write-ups for the Phish when Wanny was their HC. Yea, I'll believe it when say, Schefter or Anderson reports it.
        Last edited by fluteflakes; 02-22-2013, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• Bangarang
          • Sep 2010

Nix has already said we won't be active day 1 of free agency like last year. Don't get your hopes up on any big signings other than our own guys.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Our cap situation depends on how the Byrd and Levitre situations play out. If we were able to resign both or resign one and tag the other.........much of our available cap space is gone.

Wilson and Barnett cap savings basically equals Byrd franchise tag

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Bangarang View Post
              Nix has already said we won't be active day 1 of free agency like last year. Don't get your hopes up on any big signings other than our own guys.
              He'll be sleeping by 8:00 PM so it's expected.

Comment

• Oldbillsfan
                shelby's big brother smilie smilie
                • Mar 2007

Well I heard the Pats wanted him before, so.... :-/

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by clumping platelets View Post
                  Our cap situation depends on how the Byrd and Levitre situations play out. If we were able to resign both or resign one and tag the other.........much of our available cap space is gone.

Wilson and Barnett cap savings basically equals Byrd franchise tag
                  If Fitz gets cut, then the figure supposedly shrinks to 10-11 Mil, due to the 10 Mil dead cap hit, correct ? Then maybe we get another 5 Mil back if Kelsay is cut ? All so confusing.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Buddo
                    • Mar 2007

I can't say I'm very enamored of this (non) move, if true. Nelson converted a lot of 3rd downs, and was a decent player. Sure, strictly speaking, no more than a 3rd or 4th WR, but well up to being that. He's also got better hands than any other WR currently on the roster, including Stevie. Something doesn't quite add up here, to me.
                    I'd be very surprised also, if 'twitter' should be the way he's going to hear about it. Doesn't seem like it's Nix, or Marrone's way of doing things.
                    If it does pan out as true, then somebody needs to find out how this information got out, as it's otherwise going to start our new HC off, on a very shaky footing in the locker room. From all I've heard, Nelson is a very, genuinely, decent human being, and being treated in such a disrespectful fashion, won't sit well with his team-mates, I'm sure.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                      Skoobasaurus-Rex
                      • Oct 2011

David Nelson ‏@DavidNelson86 1 min ago.
                      Wow. If this is true- then I def do get all my info from twitter.. RT: @JasonColeYahoo: Bills not expected to tender RFA WR David Nelson

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                        If Fitz gets cut, then the figure supposedly shrinks to 10-11 Mil, due to the 10 Mil dead cap hit, correct ? Then maybe we get another 5 Mil back if Kelsay is cut ? All so confusing.
                        No. If Fitz gets cut the Bills save another $450,000.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                          Not correct... Fitz currently counts $10.45M against the cap... He will count $10M if he's released. The Bills currently have around $17M cap room with Fitz on or off the roster.

But if Byrd ($6.8M tag) & Levitre ($7M best case scenario) get $13.8M, that leaves just $4.2M to sign our rookies. I've seen it estimated that we'll actually need $5.5M for rookies... So we'd need to free up a few million still.

Good news is that if Fitz is released, we'll be clear of $8M cap hit in 2014.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
                            Not correct... Fitz currently counts $10.45M against the cap... He will count $10M if he's released. The Bills currently have around $17M cap room with Fitz on or off the roster.

But if Byrd ($6.8M tag) & Levitre ($7M best case scenario) get $13.8M, that leaves just $4.2M to sign our rookies. I've seen it estimated that we'll actually need $5.5M for rookies... So we'd need to free up a few million still.

Good news is that if Fitz is released, we'll be clear of $8M cap hit in 2014.
                            I think with the cuts the Bills made & the increase of the cap to $122 Million the Bills are about $20 Million under the cap at this time.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                              • Jul 2002

I'm amazed by the fans of Nelson & Jones and their reactions when they heard the Bills new management doesn't want them. I told someone last season that the Bills receivers, outside of Stevie Johnson were in my words "total garbage" and I believe that Marrone & his staff came in, saw some tapes & have reached the same conclusion. I think the Bills had only 1 real NFL receiver on the roster last year. Also outside of Chandler, who is now injured, the TEs were garbage too. Now Fitzpatrick may be inconsistent & nothing more than one of the league's better backup QBs, but really, when you have guys like Jones & Nelson getting significant playing time, it means you have no receivers to throw to.
                              It's time us to applaud management for realizing that giving new contracts to dime a dozen receivers who will be lucky to get the 5th receiver roster spots on an NFL team next year would have been wasting everyone's time. It's time to move on from guys who are in the lineup because the guys running things couldn't find anything other than Stevie Johnson and a bunch of #5 receivers to make up the receiver group on the roster.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by better days View Post
                                I think with the cuts the Bills made & the increase of the cap to $122 Million the Bills are about $20 Million under the cap at this time.
                                According to spotrac, you are correct. But it's not an exact science. And there are other sites with less optimistic numbers.

But either way, we don't have a lot of room after considering Byrd, Levitre and rookies. Plus... Teams generally need to have a few mill during the course of the season in order to bring injury replacements off the couch.

Comment

Working...
                                X