X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

Re: Looks like Nelson is not going to be tendered

According to this site http://www.nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2013.php ... We had $20.9M room remaining (with $121M cap) before we signed Tarvaris Jackson and Colin Brown (combined $2.92M hit). That leaves $17.98M.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
      I'm amazed by the fans of Nelson & Jones and their reactions when they heard the Bills new management doesn't want them. I told someone last season that the Bills receivers, outside of Stevie Johnson were in my words "total garbage" and I believe that Marrone & his staff came in, saw some tapes & have reached the same conclusion. I think the Bills had only 1 real NFL receiver on the roster last year. Also outside of Chandler, who is now injured, the TEs were garbage too. Now Fitzpatrick may be inconsistent & nothing more than one of the league's better backup QBs, but really, when you have guys like Jones & Nelson getting significant playing time, it means you have no receivers to throw to.
      It's time us to applaud management for realizing that giving new contracts to dime a dozen receivers who will be lucky to get the 5th receiver roster spots on an NFL team next year would have been wasting everyone's time. It's time to move on from guys who are in the lineup because the guys running things couldn't find anything other than Stevie Johnson and a bunch of #5 receivers to make up the receiver group on the roster.
      Ding,ding,ding. We have a winner.

I don't dislike Nelson but explain to me how he's such an asset when he's on IR more often than not.

Let the new coach make his roster. Bills should get at least 2 WR's in FA or the draft.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

Nelson has been OK, but I've not been a fan. He is a tweener; slow and plodding for a WR, but thin and lanky for a TE. I don't know why people have gotten so attached to him. It would not be hard to find better WRs or some actually TEs (which is a position we desperately need).
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
          According to this site http://www.nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2013.php ... We had $20.9M room remaining (with $121M cap) before we signed Tarvaris Jackson and Colin Brown (combined $2.92M hit). That leaves $17.98M.
          I'm pretty sure, the cuts came after TJax & Brown were signed.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by better days View Post
            I'm pretty sure, the cuts came after TJax & Brown were signed.
            I was wrong, the cuts came first, but I still think the Bills are $20 Million under the cap. Did the Jets have the increase in the cap in their figures? It was reported to be $120 Million at first, but was revised to $122 Million.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

They didn't give a league cap figure... Only the figures that would go against that cap... I just did the subtracting from the $121M. If it ends up $122M, then it looks like we're at $19M to the good.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                The Voice of Reason
                • Jul 2007

Nelson looked great in 2011 having been forced in to the #2 role. 600 yards and 5 TD's isn't half bad on a bad team. He's not a "#5" receiver by any means, but he's better than the other trash on the team currently, so it really does raise the question "are we tanking?"

Now before you just read that and start huffing and puffing, until something happens in FA or the draft, I don't believe it to be true. If we can pick up a decent, proven receiver in FA and also one in the draft to compliment Stevie and maybe a QB with an arm to throw to TJ... we can solidify that #2 role and I'd be fine.

A lineup of CJ in the backfield, Stevie, (insert name here), TJ, and Chandler on the field seems formidable enough to me, so much as the name can get the job done and take coverage off of Stevie. I like Nelson, and hell, I like Fitz as a person and as a player (surprisingly) but I know for a fact he can't get it done. BUT, what we also forget, is he wasn't given the tools to get it done, either. It's a lose-lose situation, and he deserves good backup money.

Still doesn't change my mind about DN, I think he was a good player pre-injury and if given time will pan out as a good receiver.

And Night Train, we usually agree, but "He's on IR more often than not?" He's been in the league 3 years... that's 1 season where he had a knee injury that took him out. Look at Stevie's numbers years 1 and 2 and tell me Nelson wouldn't have helped last years team immensely.
                Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Thief
                  • Sep 2009

Nelson is worth the tender and a solid slot guy. Oh, and if Fitz is cut his 10 mil cap hit can be spread out two years giving us 5.5 mil extra this year.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                    • Sep 2003

We can get the same average receiver for less money. I'm personally not heart broken that he's not going to be tendered. Money ball baby!

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

I'm not gonna say letting Jones and Nelson walk was a bad play. They were depth guys or slot guys at best. But I will say this, outside of Johnson, I think all the wideouts on our roster have less than 200 career receptions combined. OBD better be looking to invest heavy in the position in the draft or FA, or they must REALLY like what Brad Smith and TJ Graham bring to the table.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Bert102176
                        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by venis2k1 View Post
                        I think we may be trying to tank the season.
                        I would be fine with that, I wanted them to tank so they could draft Luck
                        lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• fluteflakes
                          • Jan 2013

You shouldn't be fine with tanking, no matter how bad we are, I wanna win. Every year.

Comment

• Bert102176
                            • Aug 2002

Wanting them too is a given, but knowing that they won't be good or even decent should make you wanna be in position to win if we can tank and get say johnny manziel in the next years draft
                            lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

They didn't give a league cap figure... Only the figures that would go against that cap... I just did the subtracting from the $121M. If it ends up $122M, then it looks like we're at $19M to the good.
                              Is there any roll-over from last season that needs to be included?
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
                                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                                • Feb 2005

I dont think that includes the roll over of 9+ mill. Your 19 + 9 puts us at 28 and I have us at 27.9.
                                Last edited by X-Era; 02-24-2013, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X