Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Geno is available at #8, the Bills could trade back for huge gains

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If Geno is available at #8, the Bills could trade back for huge gains

I know how people would like to get Geno but him being available could get us multiple picks this year, maybe even a first & second this year. I'd like to have the ability to pick up a few Corners or WRs, who's in ?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: If Geno is available at #8, the Bills could trade back for huge gains

im in. i saw geno do his 15 minute meeting with coach marriuci on the nfl channel tonight.. he just does not strike me as a leader.. he doesnt come across as an intelligent guy that could lead grown men. he screwed up on the one formation question that they went over like 3-4 times. and based on what i saw from him the second half of this year, including an absimal performance in his bowl game in the snow (which nassib clearly outperformed him in), i have no real interest in this guy.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

3. Post thanked by:

Skooby (02-24-2013)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Okay, Nassib didn't "clearly outperform him" Nassib was JUST as terrible. There were 4 passes he threw that should have been interceptions that were just plain dropped, he missed wide open deep throws, and his defense wasn't a seive against the run.

Geno played really damn well considering the circumstances he was placed in. And of course he'd have a hard time on a white board looking over plays he doesn't know. He's played in an air raid the past two seasons. One of his positives, from every single scout, has been his ability to read and digest a playbook. That goes back to when he was a recruit out of Mirmar. I'v watched quite a few interviews with him, and he's said so himself, he's not a "rah rah" leader, but he will come in first every day, and leave last every day. He'll lead by example. Not but rallying the troops.
    Last edited by fluteflakes; 02-24-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,593 Times in 17,467 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hell, if we had traded back even half the times in the past ten years that fans wanted the team to we'd have a roster chock full of first, second and third round picks instead of seventh rounders and UDFA's.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

6. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (02-25-2013)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No, sorry. If there was as intense a market for Geno as you think, he wouldn't fall all the way to us.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

8. Post thanked by:

Novacane (02-25-2013)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

not sure what "situation he was put in" that your referring to... the situation of being in a terrible bowl game because of the way he performed the second half of the year?

i dont want a qb that performs like that in bad weather.. there is no qb in this draft worth the 8th pick.. when you spend a pick that high, you better get a qb that is clearly a franchise guy.. geno has way to many questions to be considered be a franchise qb imho.

unfortunately this is one of the worst qb drafts in recent memory, and also happens to be yet another year that we need one.. there are too many other phenominal players at other positions to waste it on a gamble like geno.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    No, sorry. If there was as intense a market for Geno as you think, he wouldn't fall all the way to us.
    great point as well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
    not sure what "situation he was put in" that your referring to... the situation of being in a terrible bowl game because of the way he performed the second half of the year?

i dont want a qb that performs like that in bad weather.. there is no qb in this draft worth the 8th pick.. when you spend a pick that high, you better get a qb that is clearly a franchise guy.. geno has way to many questions to be considered be a franchise qb imho.

unfortunately this is one of the worst qb drafts in recent memory, and also happens to be yet another year that we need one.. there are too many other phenominal players at other positions to waste it on a gamble like geno.
    What are you talking about "the way he performed"? He put up 49 points against Oklahoma. And LOST. His defense was the worst I'v seen in a long time. The situation he was put in, by his bad defense, of being down the entire game and just having to throw it on every snap, so the defense knew what was coming. The situation he was put in where he O-line was beaten cold again and again and again by the SU edge rushers where he'd have maybe half a second before there was pressure in his face.

The situation he was put in where in 35 MPH wind and the freezing cold, where the other team knew he had to throw it. He still completed 60% of his passes and threw two TD's. Please, he can play in the cold. He was not the reason his team lost in the back half of the year, his team having absolutely no defense what so ever was. That offense put up 30 points or more 3 times and lost each time.

Geno has question marks, but he's clearly the best QB prospect in this class, and would be a top 15 player in almost any draft class. And you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

The only reason I think he may fall to him is that the teams in front of us do not need a QB more than the other positional needs they have.
    Last edited by fluteflakes; 02-24-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    Actually, the market that MIGHT create a trade back scenario is for left tackle. If Joeckel and Fisher go early (say 1 and 4 or at least both by pick 7), a highly likely scenario, then the remaining guy who looks like a hot property/elite tackle is Lane Johnson. We could be in a position to offer a trade back to someone who wants to get him. One suitor that might be interesting is the Rams. We might not even need to drop too far in the trade back.

Just some irresponsible speculation.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The market will also be heavy in front of us to trade up, since Buddy screwed the pooch and announced to the world that we're going to draft a damn QB.

I could see the cards trading down for someone to beat us to Geno.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'll give the same response to this that I did when Mitch posted this in the official Bills message board, plus a bit more. If you think Geno Smith is a franchise there is absolutely no way you trade back. If you don't think so, then you do, or at least you might try. However, If you look of the the teams that draft 9 through 32, the need for a franchise QB isn't nearly as accute as it is for the 7 teams ahead of Buffalo the demand for a trade to acquire Geno Smith may not be as high as you think until you get into the top of round two. The Jets certainly could be looking for a QB, but you're not going to get a boatload of extra picks from a team for moving up one spot. There are a few teams like Tennessee and Minnesota who have young QBs that haven't performed as well as hoped yet, but they may not be quite ready to give up on the youngsters yet.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

i wish i felt like he was the right guy.. but i just dont. i really hope he is not our pick. but i also cant tell you that there are a lot of better options.. i really feel like we are kind of screwed.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by fluteflakes View Post
    The market will also be heavy in front of us to trade up, since Buddy screwed the pooch and announced to the world that we're going to draft a damn QB.

I could see the cards trading down for someone to beat us to Geno.
    Do you really think the World did not already know the Bills NEED a QB? All anyone has to do is look at game film from last season. New HC= NEW QB, EVERYONE knows that.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If Geno is there at 8 and we trade down it's because no one wants him in the high 1st round. What do I mean by that? That I don't see the Bills having a hugely different view on prospects than everyone else. I don't see a team in the top 10 licking their chops to draft Smith but the Bills thinking he's a 2nd rounder... and vice versa.

If he's widely viewed as not being worthy of a top 10 pick and no one wants to take him up there, the market to trade down won't really be there. Especially since after us there are a whole host of teams with no QB need.

Put it this way, if Smith is widely considered a top 10 pick and several teams would take him there the Bills will draft him at 8.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,865 Times in 3,510 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If He's there at #8, I think we might have to pull the trigger. I don't think KC is interested after getting Alex Smith (reportedly) so there aren't that many teams that have the need or are willing to shell out 1st RD money to another QB.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,949 Times in 3,500 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would take Geno at 8. He has a lot of upside. Is he ready for prime time day one? No but I'd let him play and see what happens. He either shows signs that he's getting it by the end of the year or we're 2-14 and we can try again. He's the only QB that I'd take at 8 and I'll admit he's not a sure thing.

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd rather have Nassib myself, simply because he could learn the offense much more easily having ran it at Cuse.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,483 Times in 7,097 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Suetonius View Post
    I'd rather have Nassib myself, simply because he could learn the offense much more easily having ran it at Cuse.
    If his ceiling is not high then I would rather take someone who does have a higher ceiling. If Marrone and Hackett are good teachers, then getting a qb with better talent shouldn't be a problem. I am starting to worry about Nassib's deep ball unless that can be fixed. I'm still having nightmares from Fitz's deep throws.

21. Post thanked by:

better days (02-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Suetonius View Post
    This is like marrying the fat girl because she's always around.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    This is like marrying the fat girl because she's always around.
    Well, she does have a pretty face as well. And is a good cook.

24. Post thanked by:

Skooby (02-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,593 Times in 17,467 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, she does have a pretty face as well. And is a good cook.
    You left out great personality.

26. Post thanked by:

better days (02-25-2013),Skooby (02-25-2013)