WTF does this team plan on doing at Guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Re: WTF does this team plan on doing at Guard?

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Because I want an elite franchise LT and an elite LG...? Losing Levitre just made that easier.
    Everyone wants an elite Left Guard, my point is that nobody seems to be willing to pay for an elite left guard.

So, follow your plan to it's logical conclusion. In your best case scenario, Glenn moves inside and becomes an elite left guard. What happens when his contract comes due? You said it yourself:

Absolutely no surprise here. Sucks he's likely gone but no OG is worth what he'll likely get on the market.
    So when Glenn's deal is up, you've got an elite left guard, who's also proven he can handle left tackle. That's a huge, big money free agent. So now what? Let him walk because "No OG is worth" elite guard money?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Draft Fisher/Joeckel/Johnson kick Glenn inside. Upgrade LT and LG in the long term and be done with it. Also get to have your pick of QB's in Round 2.

You mean get your pick of the mediocre QBS in the 2nd rnd. Especially at #41. ALL of the GOOD QBS will be drafted before then. And the talk now is at least 3 QBs will be drafted in the FIRST RND.

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
        So when Glenn's deal is up, you've got an elite left guard, who's also proven he can handle left tackle. That's a huge, big money free agent. So now what? Let him walk because "No OG is worth" elite guard money?
        If we think player costs are high now, wait until 2014 when the cap rises. Levitre will look like a bargain.

Plenty of teams are sitting on the sidelines, and not signing FAs. The union vets are *****ing about that, but too bad. They *****ed about high $ rookie signings, and they got a rookie cap. So now, owners wait for the draft and lift a leg on the complaining, carping vets.

I'm glad - players' greed shot them in their (ignorant) foot. A lot of folks rattle on about owners, but the players are the same - oozing self-interest, and the customer be damned.

BUF's problem is only having 6 bites at the rookie apple. They would be nuts to do anything that costs them picks, IMO.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Everyone wants an elite Left Guard, my point is that nobody seems to be willing to pay for an elite left guard.

So, follow your plan to it's logical conclusion. In your best case scenario, Glenn moves inside and becomes an elite left guard. What happens when his contract comes due? You said it yourself:

Read Tim Graham's piece, easy to avoid.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
            You mean get your pick of the mediocre QBS in the 2nd rnd. Especially at #41. ALL of the GOOD QBS will be drafted before then. And the talk now is at least 3 QBs will be drafted in the FIRST RND.
            Yes that's exactly what I mean.
            COMING SOON...

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

Read Tim Graham's piece, easy to avoid.
              Uh, which one? You didn't even give me a title or a subject. Tim Graham "Easy to avoid" doesn't bring up any hits on google.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Uh, which one? You didn't even give me a title or a subject. Tim Graham "Easy to avoid" doesn't bring up any hits on google.
                Sorry thought I had linked it in the post;

In other words, the Bills would have gotten Levitre to stay for a lot less than the six years, $46.8 million he accepted from the Tennessee Titans had they offered him some security before he completed the final year of his rookie contract.
                COMING SOON...

Comment

• psubills62
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2008

If they're going to use the money elsewhere on a legit core player (e.g. Eric Wood, Jairus Byrd), then fine. If they're just going to blow it on some shmuck and give Urbik $7m/year and call it a bargain, then screw that.
                  "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                  - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

Makes all the sense in the World. Create a hole where none existed by letting Levitre walk, then WASTE the #8 pick in the draft to fill it.

Comment

• Buddo
                      • Mar 2007

Nobody has mentioned Sanders in this thread as yet, so I might as well. He must be a possibility as a Guard.
                      I know DB doesn't think he's up to it, but I wouldn't be that surprised if Hairston didn't make an appearance there, either, or maybe even Pears, now that he's got himself bigger.
                      I wonder if they are going to do something like that, if they don't actually move Urbik to LG and use someone else at RG, which is another possibility that nobody has mentioned.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

So you are advocating WASTING the #8 pick on a GUARD? A position so easily filled by someone CHEAP?

I think a much better use of that pick would be a position NOT so easily filled myself, like QUARTERBACK.
                        I wouldn't be upset if Warmack was the pick, but my personal preference is defense. I'm absolutely OK with using a first on an offensive lineman, as often as the opportunity presents itself if they are the BAP at the time of the pick. Linemen, especially guards, have better potential for contributing immediately, and also long term over the length of their contract. QB's are too risky, especially when taking into account the quality (or more accurately lack there-of) of this particular class.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                          I wouldn't be upset if Warmack was the pick, but my personal preference is defense. I'm absolutely OK with using a first on an offensive lineman, as often as the opportunity presents itself if they are the BAP at the time of the pick. Linemen, especially guards, have better potential for contributing immediately, and also long term over the length of their contract. QB's are too risky, especially when taking into account the quality (or more accurately lack there-of) of this particular class.
                          Thinking like that is what keeps a team MEDIOCRE. The Bills had a GOOD LG In Levitre, a guy that NEVER missed a game.

I don't care how cheap Wormack is or how good he can play. I will bet that..............

A) He will not play his entire Rookie contract without missing a game

B) If he does play well, he will want far MORE money than Levitre when his Rookie contract is up.

And C, if you don't realize a #8 draft pick is worth more than a few Million Dollars you are just STUPID.

You have said Guard is a position easily filled by someone cheap, yet you would WASTE a TOP 10 pick on one STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID.
                          Last edited by better days; 03-21-2013, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Buddo View Post
                            Nobody has mentioned Sanders in this thread as yet, so I might as well. He must be a possibility as a Guard.
                            I know DB doesn't think he's up to it, but I wouldn't be that surprised if Hairston didn't make an appearance there, either, or maybe even Pears, now that he's got himself bigger.
                            I wonder if they are going to do something like that, if they don't actually move Urbik to LG and use someone else at RG, which is another possibility that nobody has mentioned.
                            Sanders at OG? I'd be all for that along with Hairston. I think they are all options to kick inside. I think Glenn's the best option but you cant move him without drafting a LT to replace him.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• cookie G
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Buddo View Post
                              Ask and ye shall receive.

Yep, a 5th round draft choice, a project to begin with, who missed his entire rookie year, rehabbing not one, but 2 hip operations ...plugged into a new position.

That's definitely a Bills' move.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                                • Sep 2004

If you draft a guard at 8 he'd better be John Hannah. I don't see it. And I don't see us moving Glenn. Plan A: draft Geno Plan B: trade down Plan C: draft a pass rusher

Comment

Working...
                                X