WTF does this team plan on doing at Guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: WTF does this team plan on doing at Guard?

Originally posted by more cowbell View Post
    Leave it to these buffoons to take one of the few "strengths" of the team...which was built "their way" and create a hole by making absolutely no effort to retain our own player(s).
    Spot on.

Our run game was the only positive last year, and now even that is in question for 2013.

I sure hope to hell these guys know what they're doing.

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

SIGN ANDRE SMITH.

If we only do this in FA I would be happy with it.

Andre Smith can be a PB guard and would make a nasty duo with Glenn at LT.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by T-Long View Post
        Don't understand why everyone wants to move Glenn inside. He played quite well in his rookie season at left tackle, why would we move him? Pick up a serviceable guard and get a RT, Glenn is just fine over there.
        Because well or good isn't good enough. He was considered the best OG in the country in college, his game is best suited as road grading OG. Can he play LT? Yes he proved that this year but why not put your players in the best position for them to succeed? If you get a shot at say Joeckel at 8, do we really want to pass on that value because we don't want to kick Glenn inside or even to RT?
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• stuckincincy
          Buffalo Bills Fan
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
          SIGN ANDRE SMITH.

I can't see Andre Smith pulling...he'd probably break his dainty feet - again.
          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

the way i see this playing out is that we are going to start hearing a lot more about how marrone was a former line man, and he coached the line, and that he had probowlers play under him.

This will allow the team to say, "we can get guards and tackles whenever. We'll coach them up." We may get a couple, but we won't have depth. Somene will get seriously hurt, mildly injured guys will need to learn a new position in the week before game, and there will be no continuity.

after year 1 where our QB is sacked at will and the run game stalls, we'll hear
            1. CJ had a poor year. RB's can be found. We let him walk.
            2. injuries really took their toll, there was good stuff in there.

Year 2 will start, our rookie QB will be shell shocked, he'll have a decent training camp, we'll have a few more bodies. we'll have higher some assistant coach you've never heard of. Some how he is supposed to be a diamond in the rough. Again, we'll leave the lines mostly the same promising that injuries were the problem.

Year 2 will end with 50% of this board convinced the QB sucks, and 50% blaming the line. Someone will say, "it's year three now, it'll come together"

Year 3 starts with a big naming signing to get us over the hump. First round draft of an RB to enhance our struggling running game. we will be told this is going to help the QB buy time and really see the field. "this is the make or break it year for Marrone and I like how he went from 2 wins to 6 wins. And man we only lost to the patriots by 15 and 25 points in the two games last season. I feel playoffs"

Year three we all see that line play is worse than it was in 2012. Levitre has gone on to perform well....again, and is now considered a steal at his contract price. by week5 everyone will complain about "what are we paying for". Then at the end of the year, when we can marrone and feel like there is a shot at change, Russ will be promoted to Grand Poomba. He will continue to move people around and take flights in January to Arizona as a sacrifice of turning over every stone.

I would gladly have this post thrown in my face in three years when the bills win the superbowl and told that i suck as a fan. but i just don't see any other way that this team travels but sideways and in the steps it laid previously.

Russ has got to go for there to be a winning football team in buffalo.

Comment

• EDS
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
              the way i see this playing out is that we are going to start hearing a lot more about how marrone was a former line man, and he coached the line, and that he had probowlers play under him.

This will allow the team to say, "we can get guards and tackles whenever. We'll coach them up." We may get a couple, but we won't have depth. Somene will get seriously hurt, mildly injured guys will need to learn a new position in the week before game, and there will be no continuity.

after year 1 where our QB is sacked at will and the run game stalls, we'll hear
              1. CJ had a poor year. RB's can be found. We let him walk.
              2. injuries really took their toll, there was good stuff in there.

Year 2 will start, our rookie QB will be shell shocked, he'll have a decent training camp, we'll have a few more bodies. we'll have higher some assistant coach you've never heard of. Some how he is supposed to be a diamond in the rough. Again, we'll leave the lines mostly the same promising that injuries were the problem.

Year 2 will end with 50% of this board convinced the QB sucks, and 50% blaming the line. Someone will say, "it's year three now, it'll come together"

Year 3 starts with a big naming signing to get us over the hump. First round draft of an RB to enhance our struggling running game. we will be told this is going to help the QB buy time and really see the field. "this is the make or break it year for Marrone and I like how he went from 2 wins to 6 wins. And man we only lost to the patriots by 15 and 25 points in the two games last season. I feel playoffs"

Year three we all see that line play is worse than it was in 2012. Levitre has gone on to perform well....again, and is now considered a steal at his contract price. by week5 everyone will complain about "what are we paying for". Then at the end of the year, when we can marrone and feel like there is a shot at change, Russ will be promoted to Grand Poomba. He will continue to move people around and take flights in January to Arizona as a sacrifice of turning over every stone.

I would gladly have this post thrown in my face in three years when the bills win the superbowl and told that i suck as a fan. but i just don't see any other way that this team travels but sideways and in the steps it laid previously.

Russ has got to go for there to be a winning football team in buffalo.
              That is almost exactly what has happened over the past 13 or so years - 3-4 year cycles of hope and crap.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Use the #8 on Chance Warmack? Move Glenn inside? These are ridiculous ideas. When Levitre walked, all we heard was that Guards were easy to find so you shouldn't "waste" big money on them. So if the difference between on off-the-street guard and a great guard is so negligent, why in god's name would you use the #8 or #41 pick to fill that hole?

In your best case scenario Warmack or Glenn become dominant left guards, which means they'll want dominant guard money, which means we should let them walk.

Either Guard is a worthwhile position to invest in or it isn't. If it's worth a top 10 pick, it's worth an elite contract if it pans out.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                  The Voice of Reason
                  • Jul 2007

SIGN ANDRE SMITH.

YES! LET'S MOVE BOTH TACKLES TO GUARD! LET 'EM FIGHT IT OUT!
                  Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                    YES! LET'S MOVE BOTH TACKLES TO GUARD! LET 'EM FIGHT IT OUT!
                    No, Glenn at T. Smith at G.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                    I can't see Andre Smith pulling...he'd probably break his dainty feet - again.
                    He played RT last two years. He can play G easily and he can move.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

- - - Updated - - -

The entire reason Smith isn't signed is because he wants tackle money. I don't know why he'd be interested in taking less money to come here and move to a completely different position.

This is, of course, assuming that he's actually turned a corner in his career and isn't just a fatbody who played hard in a contract year.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

- - - Updated - - -

I've watched his entire (truncated) career. Why do you feel he can "easily" play G?

Get the latest fantasy news, stats, and injury updates for Baltimore Ravens OT Andre Smith from CBS Sports
                        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                          Too sober for this...
                          • Apr 2004

Guards don't go quickly. We can still get the 3rd or 4th best guard w/our 3rd rd pick or a serviceable one in the 4th round. There is NO way we should be taking a guard with our #8. That's a ******ed option to throw out there - almost as bad as those that wanted us to draft Nugent (Kicker) in the 1st rd a couple of yrs ago!!!

The 1st rd HAS to be QB, WR or LB!!!

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                            I've watched his entire (truncated) career. Why do you feel he can "easily" play G?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players...04/andre-smith
                            Because he is huge, powerful and has good enough feet to play inside. I think G is his best position.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                              Use the #8 on Chance Warmack? Move Glenn inside? These are ridiculous ideas. When Levitre walked, all we heard was that Guards were easy to find so you shouldn't "waste" big money on them. So if the difference between on off-the-street guard and a great guard is so negligent, why in god's name would you use the #8 or #41 pick to fill that hole?

In your best case scenario Warmack or Glenn become dominant left guards, which means they'll want dominant guard money, which means we should let them walk.

Either Guard is a worthwhile position to invest in or it isn't. If it's worth a top 10 pick, it's worth an elite contract if it pans out.
                              Because I want an elite franchise LT and an elite LG...? Losing Levitre just made that easier.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• cookie G
                                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post

Ah yes, the Mouse McNally approach. I loved that idea. Give the guy a steady stream of Terrance Pennington/Aaron Merz/Bennie Anderson and say "coach 'em up".

He'd say things like...I can only do so much, I'm not a miracle worker.

To which some would say, "well, how good is he really if he can't coach those guys up?"

Good luck, Mr. Marrone.

Comment

Working...
                                X