X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Millers time with Sabres near the end?

Originally posted by tampabay25690 View Post
    Keep running out your stars and that will help others come to Buffalo...
    He's out of time, 32 with a 1-2 softie a game minimum is not going to help us much.

Comment

• WagonCircler
      Escaped Convict
      • Jul 2002

Even if Miller had a great season (which he didn't, he had a good season) it's beside the point. To resign him would take a boatload of money, which would be paid out while the team rebuilds--a team that, best case scenario, could be competitve in 3-4 years. By that time, Miller is 36 years old, i.e. finished.

Like Sully the Douche says, that money could be put to much better use.

It's time to get what we can for him, while he still has some value. As of now, the returns are diminishing.

Comment

• gebobs
        One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
        I still say check his pads for blood.
        Jesus...really?
        Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
          Even if Miller had a great season (which he didn't, he had a good season) it's beside the point. To resign him would take a boatload of money, which would be paid out while the team rebuilds--a team that, best case scenario, could be competitve in 3-4 years. By that time, Miller is 36 years old, i.e. finished.

It's time to get what we can for him, while he still has some value. As of now, the returns are diminishing.
          1. This team does not need a 4 year rebuild. What it needs is leadership. It is much closer than you are saying ... however, it needs some pieces in place that aren't there to gel with the guys in the food chain and get them up and running.

2. Since when is 36 washed up for a goaltender?

Comment

• Dude
            that slimey ass of an ***** at the zone
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by tampabay25690 View Post
            Keep running out your stars and that will help others come to Buffalo...
            If the team lets fans and/or media dictate their moves, then they have bigger problems than a terrible GM and a buffoon for an owner.

Comment

• trapezeus
              Legendary Zoner
              • Oct 2004

it's really difficult to rebuild quickly with miller. he is an above average goalie that plays incredibly well when given talent around him. he isn't hasek. he can't win a season on his own.

plus his game is one of being technically sound and positioned correctly. he isn't the fastest reaction goalie. so as he gets older and slower, the decline will be more abrupt than in a goalie who is more of an athlete or reflexive. That's my opinion and i could be wrong. but i just think you'll see a season where he just falls off a cliff. and it's probably closer to 35 than 40.

i don't doubt that he's a good guy and he deserved better. but this isn't working. the team performed better without stars than with. You kind of have to start over. Ship out the last two contracts you have in vanek and miller and start over.

i think the writing was on the wall when they made that pominville trade for another goalie. There just is no way they come back next year with enroth, the new guy and miller.

i don't hate miller, but i think he's at that stage where he probably knows its best to go to a team that can help him instead of being the guy who always is asked to help for others.

Comment

• PTI
                Banned
                • Jan 2011

Yes, I think they come out next year with Enroth and Hackett, and if they blow, you would see an older vet be traded for to play.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                  Escaped Convict
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                  1. This team does not need a 4 year rebuild. What it needs is leadership. It is much closer than you are saying ... however, it needs some pieces in place that aren't there to gel with the guys in the food chain and get them up and running.

2. Since when is 36 washed up for a goaltender?
                  Miller is already not the player he was a few years ago.

Some Goaltenders get better at age 36, I guess. I've just never seen one. In decades. Or....ever. That's because they really don't.

And this team absolutely needs a 4 year rebuild. They know it. That's why they've shifted strategy from signing aging FA's (Robyn Regehr) to stockpiling draft choice in exchange for aging FAs (Robyn Regehr, et. al.).

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

4 years is excessive. you got a little fight from the no names on the team currently. if you can buy a superstar line with one premium center (more like drury and plays two ways well) and get a top 3 winger, you might have something with a Vanek, rookie, and good center. Then you have hodgson, foligno, ennis. you move stafford for a bag of pucks, and you have a couple wingers and centers who will work pretty hard to be on lines 3-4.

on defense, they need a simplier system. how is it that myers looks so bad. how is it that no one really is good at blocking shots? how is it that no one can run the powerplay? It makes me believe its not really the players as much as its the coaches. guys come to the team and do well, but once they assimilate, they just have no clue whats going on.

so you put a new coach (outside the system) and one decent line, i think you can be a 6-8 seed next year. and like a new team can often do, they could bond and get hot at the right time.

with the picks the sabres have, they could package some picks for a player and or get back in the first round for another soon to be starter.

i just hate the idea of a 4 year rebuild for a hockey town.

Comment

• pmoon6
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Dec 2002

Miller is already not the player he was a few years ago.

Some Goaltenders get better at age 36, I guess. I've just never seen one. In decades. Or....ever. That's because they really don't.

And this team absolutely needs a 4 year rebuild. They know it. That's why they've shifted strategy from signing aging FA's (Robyn Regehr) to stockpiling draft choice in exchange for aging FAs (Robyn Regehr, et. al.).
                      Actually, Jacques Plante was pretty good in his late 30's and early 40's. I wouldn't say he got better, but he was still very good. Of course, he was one of the best goaltenders all time. Brodeur is still playing well at 40. Hasek played at a high level into his 40's

That said, you're right, it's very rare and most goalies don't even play that long.

I think it's time to get what you can for Miller.
                      Last edited by pmoon6; 04-22-2013, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• SkateZilla
                        • Dec 2002

How Old Is Broduer?
                        Skate Zilla
                        -----------------------
                        Skate Zilla HD Studios:
                        SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• Typ0
                          honey pie
                          • Jul 2002

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

a 4 year rebuild is something you talk about when there is a serious lack of talent. this organization has a lot of talent in it. What it needs is people to get with the talent and lead them to consistency. Mentally, this group is off ... maybe it is a systemic issue too light you highlight and changing the system will help.

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                            Actually, Jacques Plante was pretty good in his late 30's and early 40's. I wouldn't say he got better, but he was still very good. Of course, he was one of the best goaltenders all time. Brodeur is still playing well at 40. Hasek played at a high level into his 40's

That said, you're right, it's very rare and most goalies don't even play that long.

I think it's time to get what you can for Miller.

Comment

• gebobs
                              One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                              He's nearly 10 years younger than me. He turns 41 five days after I turn 51. He's in better shape now than I was at 21. :-)
                              Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Swiper
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Sep 2010

I can understand Luongo getting such a contract. Not Miller.

Comment

Working...
                                X