Should EJ Manuel be the starter from day 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BertSquirtgum
    • May 2009

Should EJ Manuel be the starter from day 1?

Personally, I would like him to sit for a year and learn the NFL speed etc.....but if wins the battle I could understand Marrone starting him over Kolb. Gaining game experience can also help but it could also ruin him.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
    Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 04-30-2013, 12:51 AM. Reason: won't let me upload video
  • BertSquirtgum
    • May 2009

Re: Should EJ Manuel be the starter from day 1?

"The EJ Manuel Era Begins in Buffalo

April 29, 2013 by James Duignan Leave a Comment
    By: PFC Contributor James Duignan
    The word “value” keeps floating around near the draft. Most consider value to be getting a player lower than his consensus draft slot, and on the other hand, a “reach” describes a pick that is higher than a player’s consensus draft slot. When the Bills took EJ Manuel at the 16th pick in the 1st round, nearly every “draftnik” bashed the pick based on his perceived value being much lower, calling him a “huge reach” at 16. However, aren’t these are the same drafniks who were predicting Manuel to be a 2nd round pick, yet had Barkley and Nassib alternating to the Bills at 8? Aren’t these the same draftniks who had Shariff Floyd as a top 5 lock leading up to Thursday’s first round? If there is one thing I’ve learned over the draft process every season it is to realize that these so-called draftniks have no relation to NFL organizations, thus they have absolutely no credibility when determining the stock of players since they have very little, if any, interactions with the players themselves. When Mel Kiper risks his career on the stock of Jimmy Clausen, and states that Jamarcus Russell is the best prospect he has seen in years; how are we supposed to take his opinions on Manuel seriously?..."
    Last edited by X-Era; 04-30-2013, 05:58 AM. Reason: spaces

Comment

• Mike
      • Jan 2009

Yes... unquestionably this is a learning year for everyone at OBD...
      New coaches, players, etc... and the chance of winning a SB are slim to none, so let the kid play.
      Please Make Sense

Comment

• kishoph
        • Jun 2003

Well done, it certainly beats the argument of."Kiper says he sucks."

I have no problem with EJ starting, if the coaches feel he's ready and they commit to him, I don't want the kid having to look over his shoulder every time he makes a mistake. IMO sitting him for a year couldn't hurt. I trust that Marrone and Hackett will do the right think, I have no reason not to.

Comment

• Meathead
          Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
          • Jul 2002

no
          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

It depends what he shows in the O he calls during camp and the pre-season. Don't rush him and wind up ruining him, ala Losman.

Expectations this year are zero, in year 1 of a rebuild with a new staff. It does sound like he's fairly smart and should get the playbook down but he has to make the correct reads.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• John Doe
              Florida Man
              • Jul 2002

I don't think that anyone will be handed anything by the new head coach.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                • Sep 2008

Manuel should only get to start if he's earned it. If it's just handed to him, then Marrone already looks bad for breaking his word about there being a competition at every position. Players will respect him more if Manuel has to fight for it rather than having it handed to him. JMO

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                  Unreachable Douche
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
                  Personally, I would like him to sit for a year and learn the NFL speed etc.....but if wins the battle I could understand Marrone starting him over Kolb. Gaining game experience can also help but it could also ruin him.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...o-Bills-Week-1
                  Yes.
                  You don't learn jack on the bench.
                  Rookie QB's start from day 1 now.

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247 View Post
                    Manuel should only get to start if he's earned it. If it's just handed to him, then Marrone already looks bad for breaking his word about there being a competition at every position. Players will respect him more if Manuel has to fight for it rather than having it handed to him. JMO
                    That's exactly it.

Marrone won't start him just because he's our future. He has to earn it.

That said, they all are on equal footing in this brand new offense. Manuel just needs to be an equally quick study and I think he can win the job.

I don't think they will hand it to him by any means.

Comment

• coastal
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Mar 2005

Of course u start him.

Comment

• alnilla
                        • Dec 2008

You have to start him

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

I posted before, the Bills view EJ as RAW with HIGH upside. as others have said he will have to EARN the srarting job. I don't see him beating out Kolb to start the year. More likely he takes over when Kolb gets injured.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by better days View Post
                            I posted before, the Bills view EJ as RAW with HIGH upside. as others have said he will have to EARN the srarting job. I don't see him beating out Kolb to start the year. More likely he takes over when Kolb gets injured.
                            Personally I think this QB race is a little closer than that. In any event, this should be one of the most interesting competitions of the preseason for the Bills, I think it's any mans game at this point. JMO

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                              Sab and TD are insignificant
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                              It depends what he shows in the O he calls during camp and the pre-season. Don't rush him and wind up ruining him, ala Losman.

Expectations this year are zero, in year 1 of a rebuild with a new staff. It does sound like he's fairly smart and should get the playbook down but he has to make the correct reads.
                              Losman wasnt rushed. He sat his first year.
                              www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

Working...
                              X