Thread: do most teams keep a 3rd qb type active?

Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER NOT THE DUDE...'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

do most teams keep a 3rd qb type active?

does anyone know for sure that teams keep at least three guys active that can throw the ball, at the very least 2 real qbs, and a 3rd qb who played qb in hs but plays rb or wr now? because if we cut brad smith and only keep tuel inactive, then who would play qb if ej and kolb got hurt hypothetically?

Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER NOT THE DUDE...'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: do most teams keep a 3rd qb type active?

reason I ask is because I would like to keep marcus Easley... so would we just keep our 3rd qb like tuel active on gameday?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would say Brad Smith is a goner regardless. But... There are always a few injuries in TC that keep somebody on the roster. In that case, if there were 1 or 2 injuries to WR's, Brad Smith and Easley could be here.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I know it used to be that teams always kept tree QBs on the 53 man roster, and then had two active on Sunday. There also might be an emergency QB, a player at another position who took a few snaps at QB, and maybe had played QB at one time or another, who wouldn't be totally lost. Of course, at one time rosters were smaller than 53 members, but even then, 3 was the norm at QB. More recently, some teams have been keeping two on the 53 man roster, and one on the PS. If Buffalo cuts Jackson and only keeps Kolb as a veteran, they might well do that with Tuel. As far as 5 versus 6 WRs, there are some other ways you can adjust the roster to make that possible. If Chris Gragg could learn to be a solid blocker, he's the right size and could maybe be a TE/FB, filling a dual role.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    I know it used to be that teams always kept tree QBs on the 53 man roster, and then had two active on Sunday. There also might be an emergency QB, a player at another position who took a few snaps at QB, and maybe had played QB at one time or another, who wouldn't be totally lost. Of course, at one time rosters were smaller than 53 members, but even then, 3 was the norm at QB. More recently, some teams have been keeping two on the 53 man roster, and one on the PS. If Buffalo cuts Jackson and only keeps Kolb as a veteran, they might well do that with Tuel. As far as 5 versus 6 WRs, there are some other ways you can adjust the roster to make that possible. If Chris Gragg could learn to be a solid blocker, he's the right size and could maybe be a TE/FB, filling a dual role.
    They modified the rules about bringing in a 3rd qb during a game last season or the one before that. I don't recall the details - I think he was there if needed, but didn't count against the 45-man game day active roster.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    They modified the rules about bringing in a 3rd qb during a game last season or the one before that. I don't recall the details - I think he was there if needed, but didn't count against the 45-man game day active roster.
    the 3rd qb can play at anytime, or be any position. from 45-46, the 46th spot is no longer an " emergency qb". not only that, once your 1st 2 qbs go down, you can still bring in the original qb whereas before you couldn't once the 3 qb was in.... it was a dumb rule. that's why I was curious as to whether or not teams keep 3 qbs active now on gameday?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NOT THE DUDE... View Post
    reason I ask is because I would like to keep marcus Easley
    You act as if you have a choice in the matter.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    You act as if you have a choice in the matter.
    touché

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Most do not AFAIK. If there's an emergency, usually most teams have one player who's trained to take snaps and do handoffs and that's about it.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    What the NFL made a rule that makes sense?

11. Post thanked by:

NOT THE DUDE... (05-15-2013)