Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim Kelly has Cancer

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,674 Times in 3,405 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Jim Kelly has Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Google search Sinus cancer next. Oral cancer generally presents in gum line ar floor of mouth or base of tongue. He had a "cycst" removed from his maxillary sinuses.
    Guess what maxillary sinuses are? I'll wait.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
    He'll probably have problems with this for the rest of his life, but it is rarely life threatening as long as you stay on top of it. He'll fe fine.... relatively. Op may have been a bit insensitive, but I would bet this is a case of oral squamous cell carcinoma associated with his history with alcoholism. Smoking and chewing tobacco is another huge risk factor.
    It's no secret that Kelly was a pretty big cocaine user in his day too. Considering his significant sinus problems and that the cancer is in his upper jaw area, I wonder if that could have been a cause too.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,085 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

not oral structures for it to be oral cancer.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thoughts and prayers to Jim and his family.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

5. Post thanked by:

Novacane (06-03-2013),sukie (06-03-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,062 Times in 1,998 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well that sucks, get better Jim.

Sinuses in the Maxilla(which is the bone that makes up your upper jaw, surrounds your nose and makes up your cheekbones.)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have never loved a Buffalo Bill player more than Jim Kelly. I wish Jim and the Kelly family all the best and will be sending all the good thoughts I can for a full recovery.
    The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

8. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (06-03-2013),imbondz (06-03-2013)

Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,531 Times in 3,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Novena To
    St. Peregrine

Glorious wonder-worker, St. Peregrine, you answered the divine call with a ready spirit, and forsook all the comforts of a life of ease and all the empty honors of the world to dedicate yourself to God in the Order of His holy Mother.

You labored manfully for the salvation of souls. In union with Jesus crucified, you endured painful sufferings with such patience as to deserve to be healed miraculously of an incurable cancer in your leg by a touch of His divine hand.

Obtain for me the grace to answer every call of God and to fulfill His will in all the events of life. Enkindle in my heart a consuming zeal for the salvation of all men.

Deliver me from the infirmities that afflict my body (especially.....).

Obtain for me also a perfect resignation to the sufferings it may please God to send me, so that, imitating our crucified Savior and His sorrowful Mother, I may merit eternal glory in heaven.

St. Peregrine, pray for me and for all who invoke your aid.

I think Kelly is/was Catholic.

Patti

10. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (06-03-2013),GvilleBills (06-03-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It brought a tear to my eye when I read this this morning. Jimbo is Buffalo, and means so much to all of us. I wish him the best and my thoughts go out to him.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,002 Times in 2,184 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

All the best to Jim. After what he's been thru he can definitely get thru this.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Waiting for OP to post that Jim has cancer because he was an alcoholic. Douche.

14. Post thanked by:

Novacane (06-04-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,911 Times in 5,303 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
    Waiting for OP to post that Jim has cancer because he was an alcoholic. Douche.
    Claiming internet message board moral high ground is the essence of douchebaggery.

skål!

16. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (06-03-2013),OpIv37 (06-05-2013),swiper (06-03-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    The two leading causes of oral cancers (especially squamous cell) is Tobacco use and HPV (about a third of all oral cancers).
    So what? He said he had cancer of the bone. Squamous Cell Cancer doesn't arise from bone tissue that I know of.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Claiming internet message board moral high ground is the essence of douchebaggery.

skål!
    Not that you haven't tried it!

Tide's out!

18. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (06-03-2013)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

not oral structures for it to be oral cancer.

Bone. Bone. Bone. Kelly said bone. Sinus Cancer arises from the soft tissue lining.

Squamous Cell Carcinoma does not arise from bone. Bone cancer is from malignant spread about 80% of the time (give or take). Then comes sarcomas which are not SCCs. He is not of the right age to have marrow issues and that particular spot is not typical for marrow issues anyway. So if the cell type is squamous cell, then it's not likely bone cancer - more likely something arising from the lining of the sinus that eroded into the bone locally.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/bonecan...is-bone-cancer

Quote Originally Posted by American Cancer Society
    Bone tumors that are cancer (malignant)

Osteosarcoma:Osteosarcoma (also called osteogenic sarcoma) is the most common true bone cancer. It is most common in young people between the ages of 10 and 30. But about 10% of cases are people in their 60s and 70s. This cancer is rare during middle age. More males than females get this cancer. These tumors start most often in bones of the arms, legs, or pelvis. This type of bone cancer is not discussed in this document, but is covered in detail in our document, Osteosarcoma.
    Chondrosarcoma:This is cancer of the cartilage cells. Cartilage is a softer form of bone-like tissue. Chondrosarcoma is the second most common true bone cancer. It is rare in people younger than 20. After age 20, the risk of this cancer keeps on rising until about age 75. Women get this cancer as often as men.
    Chondrosarcomas can develop in any place where there is cartilage. It most often starts in cartilage of the pelvis, leg, or arm, but it can start in many other places, too.
    Chondrosarcomas are given a grade, which measures how fast they grow. The lower the grade, the slower the cancer grows. When cancer grows slowly, the chance that it will spread is lower and the outlook is better. There are also some special types of chondrosarcoma that respond differently to treatment and have a different outlook for the patient. These special types look different when seen under a microscope.
    Ewing tumor:This cancer is also called Ewing sarcoma. It isnamed after Dr. James Ewing, the doctor who first described it in 1921. It is the third most common bone cancer. Most Ewing tumors start in bones, but they can start in other tissues and organs. This cancer is most common in children and teenagers. It is rare in adults older than 30. This type of bone cancer is not discussed in this document, but is covered in detail in our document, Ewing Family of Tumors.
    Malignant fibrous histiocytoma (MFH): This cancer more often starts in the soft tissues around bones (such as ligaments, tendons, fat, and muscle) rather than in the bone itself. If it starts in the bones, it most often affects the legs or arms. It usually occurs in older and middle-aged adults. MFH mostly tends to grow into nearby tissues, but it can spread to distant sites, like the lungs. (Another name for this cancer is pleomorphic undifferentiated sarcoma.)
    Fibrosarcoma: This is another type of cancer that starts more often in “soft tissues” than it does in the bones. Fibrosarcoma usually occurs in older and middle-aged adults. Leg, arm, and jaw bones are most often affected.
    Giant cell tumor of bone:This type of bone tumor has both benign (not cancer) and malignant forms. The benign form is most common. These don’t often spread to distant sites, but after surgery they tend to come back where they started. Each time they come back after surgery they are more likely to spread to other parts of the body. These tumors often affect the arm or leg bones of young and middle-aged adults.
    Chordoma:This tumor usually occurs in the base of the skull and bones of the spine. It is found most often in adults older than 30. It is about twice as common in men than in women. Chordomas tend to grow slowly and usually do not spread to other parts of the body. But they often come back in the same place if they are not removed completely. When they do spread, they tend to go to the lymph nodes, lungs, and liver.

21. Post thanked by:

sukie (06-04-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post

skål!
    You would know.

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We should fight and argue about douchebaggery in the "Jim Kelly has Cancer" thread.

Then again it is Billszone... Best wishes to Jim for a healthy and speedy recovery. Prayers with his family as well.
    Bye Bye Brady...

24. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (06-04-2013),trapezeus (06-04-2013)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    We should fight and argue about douchebaggery in the "Jim Kelly has Cancer" thread.

Then again it is Billszone... Best wishes to Jim for a healthy and speedy recovery. Prayers with his family as well.
    Them's fightin' words!
    3,000,000th post on BZ!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DerpyNuts View Post
    I heart papa smurf.
    Fixed it for u.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,085 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Squamous Cell Carcinoma does not arise from bone. Bone cancer is from malignant spread about 80% of the time (give or take). Then comes sarcomas which are not SCCs. He is not of the right age to have marrow issues and that particular spot is not typical for marrow issues anyway. So if the cell type is squamous cell, then it's not likely bone cancer - more likely something arising from the lining of the sinus that eroded into the bone locally.
    My thoughts about this exactly.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My thoughts about this exactly.
    Just got the new Saga 20/20 CD. Damn you for making me like that music 30 years ago.