• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Homegrown
    Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
    • Jul 2008

Family of ejected Bills fan plans to sue for wrongful death

hmmm ....
    The smoke signals were noticeable last December. Now, it’s becoming obvious that a wrongful-death lawsuit will be filed on behalf of a man who died after being ejected from a Bills game in November 2012.
    According to WGRZ, the family of David Gerken, Jr. has filed formal notice that it intends to sue Erie County. The claim will focus in part on the quality of lighting and fencing at a spot where Gerken fell into a creek and drowned. The suit also will apparently attack the decision to eject Gerken while intoxicated and allowing him to walk away from the stadium by himself.
    Erie County owns Ralph Wilson Stadium, and Gerken’s family alleges that Erie County is therefore responsible for the safety of its patrons, even if they are tossed out of the building.
    Complicating the situation for Gerken’s family is that Gerken called his brother, who also was attending the game. Gerken told his brother that Gerken had been ejected, and they agreed to meet at a nearby bar after the game.
    If the case ever goes to trial, it will be difficult to get a jury to place responsibility on Erie County for Gerken’s safety after leaving the stadium when Gerken’s brother decided to stay and watch the game. The legal theory based on the lighting and fencing gives Gerken’s family a path around that predicament. It could make sense to focus on that argument only, and to avoid completely the idea that his brother decided not to leave the stadium with Gerken.
    A jury possibly will have a hard time making anyone else responsible for Gerken’s death when his own brother chose staying at the game over protecting him. The best strategy for the family’s lawyers could be to do whatever is necessary to keep that fact out of the case.
    Dealing with intoxicated fans presents a challenge for stadium operators, from a liability standpoint. A stadium that doesn’t eject a drunk fan, risks liability to someone they may injure in the stadium. A stadium that detains them until they are sober or until someone is available to accompany them risks a false imprisonment claim. And if, as the folks in Buffalo did, a stadium summarily ejects a drunk fan, the stadium operator faces a potential claim if something happens to them after they leave the premises.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rongful-death/
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Re: Family of ejected Bills fan plans to sue for wrongful death

I think one of the real problems with our society is the widespread tendency not to hold people accountable for their own actions. The fault of the county because he was ejected for being drunk? Puhleeze. The county is liable because a creek is not brightly lit and fenced? Put me on the jury. This guy chose to get drunk. His brother chose to let his brother leave alone. If one of my kids does something stupid and gets him/herself killed as a result, I'll feel badly but my reaction is not to look anywhere else I can to point fingers.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• BillsFever21
      • Aug 2004

Are they supposed to have a chaperon waiting for all of the drunks they kick out of a stadium to take them to where they need to go?

Comment

• THRILLHO
        This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
        • Feb 2009

I just cannot see the point in suing because a family member died. The money cannot bring your family member back to life. To me it seems like a way to take advantage of a crappy situation and try to profit from it.
        True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BillsFever21 View Post
          Are they supposed to have a chaperon waiting for all of the drunks they kick out of a stadium to take them to where they need to go?
          If this family wins one cent in this suit, you can bet in the future all drunks will be chaperoned by the police where they need to go..........................to JAIL.

Comment

• JoeMama
            Emotion Sickness
            • Oct 2002

Frivolous lawsuit.

I know the death of this kid is sad and awful and the family is obviously devastated but this case doesn't deserve the time of day in our already backlogged court system.

Erie Co. can't create a perfectly hazard free environment in or around the stadium. They just cant.

Something PFT points out that is valid is how Eric Co. is in a lose/lose situation.

If they don't eject drunks, they run the risk of another fan being attacked or harassed.

If they detain drunks, they run the risk of false imprisonment.

If they eject drunks, they now run the risk of being sued for whatever drunken mayhem they get into afterward.

The bottom line is, you assume a great deal of risk every time you drink heavily. YOU assume that risk. Not anybody else. And sometimes people make catastrophically bad decisions when drinking that result in injury or death. IE; car accidents, wandering off in inclement weather, getting into a physical altercation, etc.

I don't see how this is on Erie Co. Maybe they could deny alcohol to already inebriated fans at concession stands, but that requires a lot of subjectivity that may be impractical to enforce.
            Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

I think the question is did he purchase alcohol while in the stadium. If he did, then the way the law works they assume a responsibility in his drunken behavior. They assume that because they are selling alcohol. So it's a pretty sticky situation if you ask me. And the brother might also have been intoxicated and purchasing alcohol at the stadium.

They really need a drunk tank it's not that complicated.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Two words: Personal Responsibility.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The King
                  Without me it's just Awe so
                  • Jun 2004

It was pretty clear this was coming.
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                  He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                  mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• MidnightVoice
                    Retired (mostly)
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                    They really need a drunk tank it's not that complicated.
                    Just make it an alcohol free zone - breath tests on entry must be below the legal limit, and all water is free to drink

But to play
                    that’s the thing
                    shut up and deal
                    ~ Jesse May

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

How can you be personally responsible when your judgement is tainted by alcohol though? It goes back to where he got the alcohol. If they want the revenues from it they also have to act responsibly ... you are an ex bar owner right?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by MidnightVoice View Post
                      Just make it an alcohol free zone - breath tests on entry must be below the legal limit, and all water is free to drink
                      but they want to make the money from the beer sales...

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

How can you be personally responsible when your judgement is tainted by alcohol though? It goes back to where he got the alcohol. If they want the revenues from it they also have to act responsibly ... you are an ex bar owner right?

- - - Updated - - -

but they want to make the money from the beer sales...
                        You can't be serious.

"Sorry officer- I'm not responsible for driving drunk. My judgment was tainted by alcohol so I didn't know I shouldn't have been driving."

"Sorry I knocked that guys teeth out officer-I never would have fought him if my judgment wasn't tainted by alcohol."

If you choose to drink alcohol, any subsequent bad judgments you make are your own responsibility. And I say that as someone who drinks frequently.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Typ0
                          honey pie
                          • Jul 2002

When someone serves someone alcohol who is intoxicated they assume some of the responsibility it's just the way it works. You don't get the license to serve alcohol without that being a part of it. If someone gets drunk at a bar and kills someone driving the bar is partly responsible.

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                          You can't be serious.

"Sorry officer- I'm not responsible for driving drunk. My judgment was tainted by alcohol so I didn't know I shouldn't have been driving."

"Sorry I knocked that guys teeth out officer-I never would have fought him if my judgment wasn't tainted by alcohol."

If you choose to drink alcohol, any subsequent bad judgments you make are your own responsibility. And I say that as someone who drinks frequently.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

When someone serves someone alcohol who is intoxicated they assume some of the responsibility it's just the way it works. You don't get the license to serve alcohol without that being a part of it. If someone gets drunk at a bar and kills someone driving the bar is partly responsible.
                            Except that it's not always possible to tell if someone is intoxicated when you serve them alcohol. On a small bar where the bartender can see the patrons, maybe, but at the stadium, all someone has to do is tell the beer vendor what kind of beer they want and pay for it. Unless the person is completely hammered, the interaction is too short to tell if someone is inebriated. On top of that, the guy's brother or someone else may have bought the beers for him.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• cookie G
                              • Mar 2003

Unless the Dram Shop act has changed in NY recently, it doesn't apply to injuries of the intoxicated person, only to people he or she injured.

It is well settled that there is no Dram Shop Act cause
                              of action for an individual injured due to his or her own
                              intoxicated condition. Thus, in Searley v. Wegmans Food
                              Markets, the Fourth Department held that the plaintiff
                              could not prevail under the Dram Shop Act where the
                              defendant unlawfully sold alcohol to the plaintiff’s minor
                              son but no other individual besides the minor sustained
                              injuries.23

So yeah, if he was in a car accident and injured another..that person might have a cause of action.

But it can't be claimed for injuries to himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X