Thread: Very early look at the Bills top needs for next years draft

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Very early look at the Bills top needs for next years draft

If I had to say where we need the most help at this point as someone who's looking at next years draft I'd place our needs like this:

1) G
    2) Pass-rushing OLB
    3) C
    4) TE
    5) RB
    6) OT

I think our top need is a Left Guard. Levitre left and we have no legitimate answer to the point where even Marrone is questioning it. Colin Brown looked good in this first preseason game but he's not Levitre either.
    I don't see any Guard or Center going top 15. Center is in play since Wood will be a UFA. I could see us looking to draft a G in rounds 2 through 4.

I still think pass rushing OLB is a need. Lawson and Hughes are more role players; neither is a stud. I could see this being our first pick next year based on initial projections and where we might fall. This is my most likely 1st round target position for the team. At this point I'll be surprised if this isn't our first pick or a pick in the first 3 rounds. To me it's all about value and who seems to be worthy of a top 15 pick.

I also don't see a TE being up in the mid to early first at this point. Chandler will be a FA and I really think we want a legitimate receiving threat at TE rather than a average receiving TE like Chandler. I realize he's one of the most productive TE receivers in Bills history but he isn't a prototypical receiving TE in the current NFL either.

Running back is a need for two reasons; Spiller will be a UFA the following year although he could and probably will be franchised if we don't get a long term deal. But also because we have no young prospect as a #2 RB and Freddy is fading pretty quickly. This is the sort of situation where we could take a RB in next years draft anywhere between rounds 2 to 6. I don't think we'll spend a #1 here. But, I could see a second since it's a class that probably only has 1 in the first round if that and we would look at need vs. skill level and value in the 2nd.

I think S may not be a worry regardless of Byrd. A Williams, I think, will really surprise a lot of people at S. And at that point were looking at who could fill SS which is interchangeable with FS in Pettine's D. We have lot's of prospects already and there really doesn't seem to be a sure-fire stud S in next years draft anyways. I could see this being a mid to late round consideration.

Now, of course we will always want competition at every position and we can always use depth at a whole host of positions. But, this list looks to where we see immediate needs at this point... And based on how small the list is... I've had the thought of a big move up for a guy like Clowney. If Byrd holds out and I think he might, we could consider trading him. He may garner a day two pick. That may give us the fire power for a move up depending on where we end up picking. A team without huge needs and an extra pick may look to add a blue-chip stud. A guy like Clowney helps us day one. It's a pipe dream but if you look at us and our needs can you make a case for a big move for a game changer? I've had those thoughts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Very early look at the Bills top needs for next years draft

Next year Cordy Glenn would be the starting LG and LT would be a primary need in the 2014 draft

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Get a stud center and move Wood to guard.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

CB has got to be on that list. I'd personally list the needs as such:

Tier 1: TE, CB, OG
    Tier 2: OLB, ILB, S, OT
    Tier 3: QB, DT, DE, RB
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

5. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (08-12-2013)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62 View Post
    CB has got to be on that list. I'd personally list the needs as such:

Tier 1: TE, CB, OG
    Tier 2: OLB, ILB, S, OT
    Tier 3: QB, DT, DE, RB
    It's on the list but I can't go tier 1. I think re-signing McKelvin and the young guys that can develop give us prospects for the future at #2 CB. But, having two great CB's is not a bad move either...

I would still think long and hard about a WR like Marquise Lee or Sammy Watkins in the 1st too... Yes it's not a need but adding talent at WR never hurts.
    Last edited by X-Era; 08-12-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    It's on the list but I can't go tier 1. I think re-signing McKelvin and the young guys that can develop give us prospects for the future at #2 CB. But, having two great CB's is not a bad move either...

I would still think long and hard about a WR like Marquise Lee or Sammy Watkins in the 1st too... Yes it's not a need but adding talent at WR never hurts.
    Honestly, I don't want to give up on the young guys, but I haven't seen anything out of them that makes me think they're legit. We desperately need a #2 CB. If Gilmore (God forbid) gets injured, our secondary would be absolutely awful. DB is an important position in the league now and we've got a bunch of dime players after Gilmore.

Marquise Lee is a great player, would love to see him on our team, but we've focused a lot on WR the last couple years. Time to solidify other positions, and if those WR's can't step up, that's a problem.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I agree with CB not being the critical need due to McKelvin.

Center need goes away if Wood is resigned

I am sorry but I think we can get a good LG in rounds 3 or later

I want to see Chris Hairston and Glenn this year before I say it is a need

Agree with TE and Rush OLB

I would rate the needs

1. Pass Rush OLB - Can never have enough and we have one really good iffy elite pass rusher in mario, but we need another one
    2. TE - even if Chandler resigns and dickerson or Caussin are good we need another one for formation versatility
    3. LG
    4. OL depth
    5. CB depth
    6. Potential DL depth

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So... Listening to todays presser from Pettine... PSU may be right...

He mentions that the CB's will most often be 1:1 with little help from S's. That makes having 2 very good CB's important. We need very good coverage guys with speed.

My first mock has us taking Cockrell from Duke in the 4th. He has the size, speed, and athleticism to potentially be that guy. But in light of Pettine's comments I wonder if it should be more of a priority.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,454 Times in 14,166 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So what if they don't resign Wood? Also think you gotta have FS and SS up there with how bad Searcy has been and the unknown status of Byrd.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    So... Listening to todays presser from Pettine... PSU may be right...

He mentions that the CB's will most often be 1:1 with little help from S's. That makes having 2 very good CB's important. We need very good coverage guys with speed.

My first mock has us taking Cockrell from Duke in the 4th. He has the size, speed, and athleticism to potentially be that guy. But in light of Pettine's comments I wonder if it should be more of a priority.
    Just looking at what the Jets did with Pettine there...they had Revis, traded for Cromartie, and drafted a first round CB. Pretty clear that someone values CB in that defense, whether it was Pettine or others.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    So what if they don't resign Wood? Also think you gotta have FS and SS up there with how bad Searcy has been and the unknown status of Byrd.

I think they hit the safety need last year sort of what the steelers used to do. Draft a bunch of players at a position of need 1 or 2 years ahead of time.

I do not think we are going to have a tradiitional strong and free anymore, I think we are going to two free safeties in order to confuse the qbs on who is covering who is blitzing who is in man and who is in zone.

I think Byrd is gone after this year though so I do expect a safety on day 3.

I really hope they keep Wood I personally believe that the OL importance is as follows LT, C, RT, RG, LG. In other words if you better pay your center and LT. Also the league is going to a two LT system where the RT is every bit as good as the LT because teams move their best pass rushers so much

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    I think they hit the safety need last year sort of what the steelers used to do. Draft a bunch of players at a position of need 1 or 2 years ahead of time.

I do not think we are going to have a tradiitional strong and free anymore, I think we are going to two free safeties in order to confuse the qbs on who is covering who is blitzing who is in man and who is in zone.

I think Byrd is gone after this year though so I do expect a safety on day 3.

I really hope they keep Wood I personally believe that the OL importance is as follows LT, C, RT, RG, LG. In other words if you better pay your center and LT. Also the league is going to a two LT system where the RT is every bit as good as the LT because teams move their best pass rushers so much
    Searcy has looked average at best so far. I think S is indeed a need. Byrd weighs heavy over how much of a need though.

Depending on how much cap we roll over, we should have plenty of money to lock up Byrd and Wood long term.