• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skooby
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Plantar fasciitis

Plantar fasciitis (say "PLAN-ter fash-ee-EYE-tus") is the most common cause of heel pain. The plantar fascia is the flat band of tissue (ligament) that connects your heel bone to your toes. It supports the arch of your foot. If you strain your plantar fascia, it gets weak, swollen, and irritated (inflamed). Then your heel or the bottom of your foot hurts when you stand or walk.
    Plantar fasciitis is common in middle-aged people. It also occurs in younger people who are on their feet a lot, like athletes or soldiers. It can happen in one foot or both feet. http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides...topic-overview

- - - Updated - - -

This is Herpes for athletes, showing up at the worst times when you're trying to date.
  • GreedoII
    • Aug 2007

Re: Plantar fasciitis

I have actually had it for you years. Not much you can do exceot rest and stretching, but an Athlete has more means to counter it. He can play with it...

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Is it painful? Of course.
      If anyone of us were offered 500,000 to run on it with intense pressure for an hour would we do it? Of course.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Save the 500K. Just offer me Kate Upton so I can release my intense pressure
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

You can tape it/wear a brace/etc. They days of plantar faciitis keeping a player off the field should be over, IMO.

Comment

• The King
            Without me it's just Awe so
            • Jun 2004

I have played with worse for no money, just for the love of the game.
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
              • Aug 2012

I had a friend play in our flag football co-ed beer league with it.

If he wanted to be playing, he would be.

Comment

• kishoph
                • Jun 2003

The funny thing about Plantar fasciitis is that in a contract year it causes no pain, but in a year where you don't get what you want, it becomes debilitating to the point where you can't play. To pull this trade **** a few days before the opening game is a cancer to the team, get rid of his ass ASAP.
                Last edited by kishoph; 09-05-2013, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                  Skoobasaurus-Rex
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by kishoph View Post
                  The funny thing about Plantar fasciitis is that in a contract year it causes no pain, but in a year where you don't get what you want, it becomes debilitating to the point where you can't play. To pull this trade **** a few days before the opening game is a cancer to the team, get rid of his ass ASAP.
                  It's malicious & spiteful, exactly what we don't need in the locker room.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

I had it at two different times, once in each foot. As far as Byrd is concerned, I think the fact that it coincided with the whole contract impasse and Byrd signing his tender had drawn our negative attention. What I don't understand is the timing. Wasn't Byrd treating it aggressively while he was sitting at home? If not, why not? Reports are that he was dealing with this at the end of last season. Plantar fasciitis does respond to treatment. In my case, the difference in duration between not treating it and treating it was 3 years versus 3 months.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                      Skoobasaurus-Rex
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
                      I had it at two different times, once in each foot. As far as Byrd is concerned, I think the fact that it coincided with the whole contract impasse and Byrd signing his tender had drawn our negative attention. What I don't understand is the timing. Wasn't Byrd treating it aggressively while he was sitting at home? If not, why not? Reports are that he was dealing with this at the end of last season. Plantar fasciitis does respond to treatment. In my case, the difference in duration between not treating it and treating it was 3 years versus 3 months.
                      Can you play FS ?

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

At 61 I've lost a step or two.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Typ0
                          honey pie
                          • Jul 2002

I used to have it and got treatment. I think it's still there to come back but for the most part I'm in good shape now. It's the most annoying and painful thing you can think of really. The thing that sucks the most is you can't just get off your feet to alleviate the pain like you would think. When I had this it really gave me consciousness of how our feet are always playing a role in our posture. I would have given anything to sit down and get some relief.

As far as performing through the pain ... well you have to stretch it out. Things get better if you focus on it and stretch it out. Unfortunately you pay a price the next day. I spent well over a year getting up 20 minutes early because it took me that amount of time just to get out of bed and up on my feet. I had to wake and was in so much pain when I did...then I had to start stretching it before I dared hit the floor...I learned that lesson by crippling over in pain.

In order to beat it I had to break the cycle of inflammation with a series of cortizone shots and stretching exercises. I also had to alter my shoes with better support. Walking on bare feet is actually the worse thing you can do for your feet ... which is something many do at least around the house and a lot of damage is done there. I am careful now because I don't want this pain back. I have no idea how someone running on concrete could cope with the impact I really don't ...

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                            Skoobasaurus-Rex
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
                            At 61 I've lost a step or two.
                            So you & Leonhard could both buy bulk senior discount coffee for the team, delightful.
                            Last edited by Skooby; 09-05-2013, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• JoeMama
                              Emotion Sickness
                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by The King View Post
                              I have played with worse for no money, just for the love of the game.
                              This isn't a flag football league that you play with your friends.

The NFL is a multi-billion dollar business where money is divided between ownership and their employees based on a certain percentage.

Just because you'll line up against some guy named Darryl who part times at an Ace Hardware in a punt, pass, and kick competition for free doesn't mean NFL players should play for free. They'd be crazy not to demand more money as profits go up.
                              Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                              X