X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Re: Per NFL N: Byrd Full Participant today.

although i think its highly unlikely this year, i want the bills to try to make the playoffs every season. byrd in the lineup certainly improves the team so yeah i want him to play. williams is the bills insurance policy in case they cant work out something with jairus, but until the injured cbs are back he might have to stay there

leonhard is going to be the odd man out. yeah hes played great but theres a reason why he wasnt on anybodys roster. if the bills get to a point where everybody is healthy hes going to be thanked and shown the door. i like the guy a lot but you cant let go a younger development project for him
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

I don't think Byrd is an idiot. He knows he has something to play for. A new contract from some team. He better play like his future depends on it because it does. He's playing for the biggest paycheck of he's life. I don't care about what happens next year , we need him at his best ever if we are to make playoffs this year.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• BLeonard
        BoB Sabermetrician
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
        leonhard is going to be the odd man out. yeah hes played great but theres a reason why he wasnt on anybodys roster. if the bills get to a point where everybody is healthy hes going to be thanked and shown the door. i like the guy a lot but you cant let go a younger development project for him
        Why would Leonhard be cut? It's not like Byrd and/or Gilmore will be taking a roster spot if/when they're ready... Both are on the active roster already. They'd also be foolish to dump Leonhard (or any DB) in the event that Gilmore or another DB gets hurt, or Jairus' tootsies flare up on the weeks that the Bills play tougher opponents.

-Bill

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
          So, after the Bills D gets 5 picks off of the Super Bowl MVP and are playing in a Thursday Night Primetime game, all of a sudden, Jairus' tootsies are ok, huh?

Piss on him. Put him on IR and tag him next season... Wouldn't want him to get hurt again or anything.

-Bill
          "Oh so you're all about the money Jairus? Here, have $15 million to stay home, that'll show you!"

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BLeonard
            BoB Sabermetrician
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
            "Oh so you're all about the money Jairus? Here, have $15 million to stay home, that'll show you!"
            Where are you getting $15 million from? The tag this season was $6.916 million.

Even if they tag him next season, as I suggest, I highly doubt Byrd is gonna pull this stunt again. Who's gonna want to sign him to a big contract after not seeing the field for two seasons?

Besides, what does it matter if the Bills do spend $15 mil on him over two seasons? It's not like they're using that cap money elsewhere anyway. If they can't get a player that is equal or better than Byrd for the money that they'd spend on tagging him, there is no reason not to tag him again.

-Bill

Comment

• Meathead
              Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
              • Jul 2002

if they get all their dbs back they will have too many safeties. they certainly are going to play byrd/williams/searcy over leonhard. that roster spot could be better used to develop a younger player with more upside than to hang onto what amounts to a little used insurance policy in leonhard
              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                Where are you getting $15 million from? The tag this season was $6.916 million.
                I was including your 2nd year tag idea.

Even if they tag him next season, as I suggest, I highly doubt Byrd is gonna pull this stunt again. Who's gonna want to sign him to a big contract after not seeing the field for two seasons?
                He's still be 28 with less wear on his tires. He wouldn't be worth top money, but then he would have $15 million banked from the Bills.

Besides, what does it matter if the Bills do spend $15 mil on him over two seasons? It's not like they're using that cap money elsewhere anyway. If they can't get a player that is equal or better than Byrd for the money that they'd spend on tagging him, there is no reason not to tag him again.
                Because it's not just cap money, it's actual physical cash changing hands. $15 million worth on a team that plays the cash poor card already.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• BLeonard
                  BoB Sabermetrician
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                  if they get all their dbs back they will have too many safeties. they certainly are going to play byrd/williams/searcy over leonhard. that roster spot could be better used to develop a younger player with more upside than to hang onto what amounts to a little used insurance policy in leonhard
                  ...And, who is this magical "younger player with more upside" that isn't currently on an NFL roster that would be better than Leonhard is? You act like Leonhard is an old man... He's only 30.

Also, what happens if Byrd's tootsies start hurting again (you know, like when the Bills play 1PM games). You gonna rely on that "younger player with more upside"?

Decisions like that are why the Bills have Justin Rogers on the field as much as they do... Not bothering to go out and get a vet immediately after it was known Gilmore would be out for a while and relying on "younger players with more upside."

-Bill

Comment

• BLeonard
                    BoB Sabermetrician
                    • Jan 2003

I was including your 2nd year tag idea.
                    Again, if they can't better players for the money spent, I see no reason not to tag him again.

He's still be 28 with less wear on his tires. He wouldn't be worth top money, but then he would have $15 million banked from the Bills.
                    "Less wear on his tires"? From a guy that says his feet hurt so bad that he can't play? Chances are also good that, if the Bills tag him again and can't reach an agreement, he'll be traded. At least they get something for him then.

Because it's not just cap money, it's actual physical cash changing hands. $15 million worth on a team that plays the cash poor card already.
                    It's not like when they sign a tag, Ed McMahon comes over with one of those big checks. Yes, the money is guaranteed, but they still only pay out on a weekly basis during the season. If Byrd were on a long term extension, I'd about bet that they would have had to pay him a significant amount up front (signing bonus), along with very likely a larger weekly check than he is getting now (salary).

It would have cost the Bills more, actual physical cash-wise, to sign him long term than it would to slap the tag on him again.

-Bill

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

If Byrd becomes available, the Bills are suddenly very deep at safety. Now if we could get some CBs healthy. . .
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                      X