Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Darcy and Rolston out? LaFontaine and Nolan in? Presser at 10:30

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Darcy and Rolston out? LaFontaine and Nolan in? Presser at 10:30

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Can u give the horde a few days to revel in their "ding dong... the witch is dead" merriment before u hit them with reality?

thats all us buffalo sports fans have anymore anyways. Take that away... and well... the parking lot becomes pavement and not hallowed ground.

Sorry.

My life sucks. I don't want anybody else to be happy. So screw it. Reality is a *****.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

2. Post thanked by:

Meathead (11-14-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    Sorry.

My life sucks. I don't want anybody else to be happy. So screw it. Reality is a *****.
    Gee... can hardly wait to see u.

4. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (11-14-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Anything that replaces Darcy is better.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Is this a Marv Levy type hire?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,509 Times in 12,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

larsson, grigo, and zad appear to be extra players for tomorrow. likely scratches.

welp, i dont know what the **** is up with these coaches. they must know something i dont.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the youngest of the sabres youth should not be playing today. they can suck without them. but they should get comfortable being dominant in the AHL for a season or two. i think the harsh reality of being a superstar at their level and then a 3rd winger is hard for the ego and ends up being overload.

Let them see a pro season by riding buses and going to crap town to crap town earning their way. then have them come up with confidence. i am fine with these guys playing in the AHL. i don't want them ruined before their time to shine comes.

bring up some AHL guys who have been there for a while, see what nolan can motivate out of them. if it works, fine. if not, we end up where we belong at the bottom. then we can get a guy who legitimately could start as a top pick.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Most of the youngest guys can't go to the AHL. Grigorenko can't. Zadarov can't. Risto can. Larsson has already been there (but could go back). Girgensons should be in Buffalo.

10. Post thanked by:

Skooby (11-14-2013)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Most of the youngest guys can't go to the AHL. Grigorenko can't. Zadarov can't. Risto can. Larsson has already been there (but could go back). Girgensons should be in Buffalo.
    I was all for keeping Grigorenko up but looking back now I regret that decision.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

they have to now. otherwise they burn a year of his contract.

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I love the firings. Great moves. but why now?

Basically they upper management told Darcy to tear this team apart and let it suck. So he traded Leopold, Regher, Pominville and Vanek. And the team sucks. Oh does it suck. But upper management **** cans him because the team sucks. Don't get me wrong - I did not want him around. But why he did not go when Ruff did (or before or in the offseason) is a mystery. It is not like he got worse since then.

As for LaFontaine, sorry - but this move reek of appeasement of WGR's whiner line. He is, arguably, the most popular player of the last 20 years. But what makes him qualified to run a hockey department and/or pick a GM? He told Pegula that he is not qualified to be a GM - but he is qualified to above a GM? That makes no sense. Certainly he is a class act. And he was a great player. And great in the community. But when I hear that Pegula was talking to him about concussions and then decided that he should be running the hockey department based on that conversation I really have to scratch my head. It is frightening.

And Nolan? Jesus. This guy was a 500 coach when he was here last time. His teams won one playoff series - in 7 games as a #2 seed over a #7 seed, due in large part to playing against Ron Tugnutt. The year after he was gone the team improved and went to the ECF and the next year were in the SCF. Fact is - Ted Nolan is not that good of a coach. Better than Rolston? Sure. But still not very good. He is, perhaps, the most overrated person in Buffalo sports history (close battle with Flutie). Fans get all excited because his team had the "Hardest working team" moniker. First off, there are plenty of teams that work hard. Secondly, I would have the best team and the best coached team. Add in that he seems excited to John Scott play Friday and I think it is clear what this guy is - a throwback to thug hockey.

I am thrilled that the Darcy and Rolston show is over.

I just wish that there was something that resembled a real plan to replace them and not just an enamored, star struck owner making googly eyes at two former Sabres guys that are charismatic as hell with nothing to back it all up in the roles they are in.
    I agree that the timing is questionable, but no matter the timing, it needed to be done, and sooner was better than later. Now the whole "tear the team apart and let is suck" is conjecture, but I won't go off on it as it seems to be pretty logical and possibly somewhat accurate. But do you think maybe that while sucking they didn't expect the team to show little to no effort? Or maybe on who is still here? Maybe upper management wondered why Leino was still here, or Stafford. Hell, they traded their best player and had to eat some of his salary, but they couldn't do the same for Leino or Stafford?

LaFontaine is a very popular guy, not only in Buffalo, but in all of the NHL. Maybe it is a bit of window dressing, but you can't just assume that he knows nothing about hockey or what a good coach or GM are made of.

Now, you and I totally disagree on Nolan in many ways. Nolan took a team that just traded away Mogilny and let Hawerchuk go, that is a huge piece of offensive talent and only had LaFontaine left. Nolan's job was to take a bunch of cast offs, older players on the decline, and very young players and mold them into a team that played hard for each other. It was one of the most exciting teams Buffalo has had, not because they won, but because they played hard and made the other teams work for their wins (something that has been sorely lacking for many years). Fundamentals are not his strong point, but he get's the team to play with passion. I will give you that team that won their division wasn't all that great his next season, but they were a tough team to play against and won a first round series WITHOUT HASEK! So don't bring that Ron Tugnutt crap into it. Hasek baled on the team and basically forced Nolan out of a job. Nolan's top three scorers that year were Derek PLante, Brian Holzinger and Donald Audette. Just look at the makeup of that team and tell me how that team even made the playoffs. It took Ruff four years to better Nolan's point total and that was the only time he did it until after the lockout. I liked Lindy, but it wasn't like he was that much better of a coach. It takes time for a team to learn how to win and Nolan only had two years of coaching before he was let go.

Let's do what we always do as fans, sit back and watch and see what happens. If Nolan can get these guys to play with a little passion (like Girgensens) then so much the better.

Lastly, let's cut the crap with how John Scott is ruining hockey. He plays little, sure, but so do many fourth line guys. Fourth line guys are all grinders and energy guys anyway. personally, I would like to see the put Scott in front of the net if they can actually get control of the puck and see what havoc he can cause there.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,342 Times in 15,477 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I honestly don't think they figured the team would be a laughingstock this year....but they were.

Something had to be done, Lecter.

Call it starstruck if you want, but Pat weilds a lot of clout in this league. He still may bring in a Dudley...or a Craig Ramsay.

My belief is that the ship gets righted almost immediately.

Fix Myer's game, fix Ennis' game, and a few others, and you're back in the hunt.

15. Post thanked by:

Skooby (11-14-2013)

Virginia Beach, VA, USA, Earth, Milky Way
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I love the firings. Great moves. but why now?

Basically they upper management told Darcy to tear this team apart and let it suck. So he traded Leopold, Regher, Pominville and Vanek. And the team sucks. Oh does it suck. But upper management **** cans him because the team sucks. Don't get me wrong - I did not want him around. But why he did not go when Ruff did (or before or in the offseason) is a mystery. It is not like he got worse since then.

As for LaFontaine, sorry - but this move reek of appeasement of WGR's whiner line. He is, arguably, the most popular player of the last 20 years. But what makes him qualified to run a hockey department and/or pick a GM? He told Pegula that he is not qualified to be a GM - but he is qualified to above a GM? That makes no sense. Certainly he is a class act. And he was a great player. And great in the community. But when I hear that Pegula was talking to him about concussions and then decided that he should be running the hockey department based on that conversation I really have to scratch my head. It is frightening.

And Nolan? Jesus. This guy was a 500 coach when he was here last time. His teams won one playoff series - in 7 games as a #2 seed over a #7 seed, due in large part to playing against Ron Tugnutt. The year after he was gone the team improved and went to the ECF and the next year were in the SCF. Fact is - Ted Nolan is not that good of a coach. Better than Rolston? Sure. But still not very good. He is, perhaps, the most overrated person in Buffalo sports history (close battle with Flutie). Fans get all excited because his team had the "Hardest working team" moniker. First off, there are plenty of teams that work hard. Secondly, I would have the best team and the best coached team. Add in that he seems excited to John Scott play Friday and I think it is clear what this guy is - a throwback to thug hockey.

I am thrilled that the Darcy and Rolston show is over.

I just wish that there was something that resembled a real plan to replace them and not just an enamored, star struck owner making googly eyes at two former Sabres guys that are charismatic as hell with nothing to back it all up in the roles they are in.
    Im waiting for him to announce they Re-Signed Andrew Peters Pending him passing a Physical....
    Skate Zilla
    -----------------------
    Skate Zilla HD Studios:
    SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    I honestly don't think they figured the team would be a laughingstock this year....but they were.

Something had to be done, Lecter.

Call it starstruck if you want, but Pat weilds a lot of clout in this league. He still may bring in a Dudley...or a Craig Ramsay.

My belief is that the ship gets righted almost immediately.

Fix Myer's game, fix Ennis' game, and a few others, and you're back in the hunt.
    i think ive been paying too much attention to mcdavid and reinhart, because i am hell bent on at least the latter being in buffalo next year. they wont be in the hunt. they will still suck. but if they can get myers to keep moving forward, and ennis starts to pick up his play, this team will at least be better.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The youth was being plagued with a bad attitude. Something had to be done to get them on track. Maybe this will work...maybe it won't but it's something to make a statement. You can't go into a season expecting to build experience and instead having them go backwards. They didn't have to win but they needed to take pride in the work they were doing and they weren't. Pegula knew Regier had a bad name in the league and veteran players who would be needed at some point were not going to play for him...that might not have even been Regier's fault but it was the circumstance. With the kids flailing and a change looming why not make it now? It was a no brainer ...

I don't think this is anything like the Levy hire either...horrible comparison. Even if LaFontainne knows nothing about the job I bet he's a bundle of energy to learn it and be effective. That is so different than a clueless retired guy on his last leg.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

report: oilers willing to move their 2014 1st for players to improve current roster. darcy, er.... patty la la! get on it!

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,658 Times in 4,936 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    report: oilers willing to move their 2014 1st for players to improve current roster. darcy, er.... patty la la! get on it!
    And who would that be on the Sabres?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Downinfloflo View Post
    Hopefully Miller.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

package maybe. moulson + sabres second rounder (could be 30th)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Hopefully Miller.
    for the last time, miller wont accept a trade to the oilers. also, the oilers dont have room for miller. they just signed bryzgalov

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,658 Times in 4,936 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Oilers do not need a forward, They need Defense.

Moulson is not worth a top 3 pick anyway...You don't trade away a top 3 pick maybe even 1st overall for a UFA...When your team is in rebuild mode.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oilers do not need a forward, They need Defense.

Moulson is not worth a top 3 pick anyway...You don't trade away a top 3 pick maybe even 1st overall for a UFA...When your team is in rebuild mode.
    thats the thing though. normally, id agree. but mactavish is apparently entertaining offer for that pick for established players that can help them now. he didnt specify. im sure moulson isnt worth the first, but perhaps the second (or maybe islanders first) could do it. more likely, its going to have to a younger star player, or have potential plus can be an asset right now. and maybe, just maybe, thats where myers potential comes in?

i get what you are saying, but what you are saying is the opposite of the mactavishs comments.

i think the oilers are much better then their record indicates. i think mactavish feels like a player or two can get them playing better. i dont think they have any desire to be stuck in the running for the first overall pick.
    Last edited by JATMtheJATM; 11-14-2013 at 07:54 PM.