Thread: The other WR's not named Watkins

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The other WR's not named Watkins

I think it's unlikely that Watkins will drop to 9. But because Watkins has gotten so much attention, the other early round prospects haven't been considered as much. Are any worth the #9 pick? Who's an option in round 2?

Personally I'm looking at Marqise Lee and Mike Evans the other likely 1st round WR's.

I think Lee may run a faster 40 than Watkins. I think that's possible. He's rumored to have ran a 4.37 40. Watkins was alleged to have ran a sub-4.3 40 at Clemson. But the NFL stopwatches tend to be slower. At any rate, both are plenty fast. Lee is no slouch in this area. Lee is a freakish athlete. Did you know he had a 24' 4" long jump? Watkins is flat out nasty after the catch and most of his accolades are around that fact. But Lee may be more explosive before the catch and a better route runner. Lee has better polish. Size wise, Lee is a bit lankier but both have comparable height and weight. Lee came from a rough upbrining and used it all as motivation to rise above. The Bills will love his story. Watkins has had off the field problems which a team like the Bills may shy away from.

At 9, Marqise Lee may very well be part of the conversation. Not because he's a possession type that many of us think we need but because he's a freakish athlete and gifted play-maker.

Which brings us to a more possession type WR in Mike Evans.

Evans has a few question marks for me. He's really not built like Megatron although he's almost an identical 6' 5" 230 (reportedly),and isn't even as well built as some other guys in this class. I think he'll likely measure closer to 6' 4" and run maybe more like 220-225. He also is far from a blazer in his straight line speed. But he's sure handed and ultra-productive. You have to wonder if his production comes from the up tempo, pass happy, Texas A&M offense. Maybe even from having Manziel throwing to him. But at the very least he fights for the ball, and makes a whole bunch of receptions. A team like the Bills can't ignore what he has done in college and certainly should see what a sure-handed, gritty WR who fights for the ball in traffic might bring to a young QB who seems to throw short routes an awful lot. Furthermore, he's a good blocker which can help them in their screen and even open field run game. Evans seems to be clean off the field and used to play basketball which will again appeal to a team looking for a big possession type WR. Rumors of his 40 time are all over the map. There are rumors of a sub-4.5 40 and also rumors of a 40 over 4.6. It's stupid IMO but possible that his stock could drastically change based on the stopwatch. At any rate, Evans is another guy that the Bills should scout hard and he may even be in play at 9.

I'll add more possibilities to this thread as we go along. Feel free to add your own.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The other WR's not named Watkins

Quick hit:

Some guy named James Lofton is helping Mike Evans... Maybe you've heard of him.

https://twitter.com/georgewhitfield/...029952/photo/1

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,701 Times in 3,422 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Lee and Woods would be a great pair outside. With Stevie in the middle it has the makings of a top tier WR corps., but you have to like the ability Evans has to outmuscle double teams and win the ball
    Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 01-30-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'd say Evans is the best WR in the draft...and if anything, it was Manziel who benefited from having Evans on the field, not the other way around.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Lions and Eagles...

https://twitter.com/Rotoworld_Draft/...43862595387393

The Lions pick 10th... He seems like he could go top 10.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

http://www.profootballwarroom.com/wr.htm

Position Player School
    x WR Sammy Watkins Clemson 6'1" 205 Top 10
    x WR Jordan Matthews Vanderbilt 6'2" 205 1
    x WR Marqise Lee USC 6'0" 195 1
    x WR Allen Robinson Penn State 6'2" 205 1
    x WR Brandin Cooks Oregon State 5'10" 190 1
    x WR Mike Evans Texas A&M 6'5" 225 2
    x WR Kelvin Benjamin Florida State 6'5" 235 2
    x WR Odell Beckham LSU 5'11" 190 2
    x WR Donte Moncrief Mississippi 6'2" 225 3
    x WR Jeff Janis Saginaw Valley St 6'2" 220 3

Notes: In a word, deep. Teams all the way into the 5th round could still be picking WR that will have an impact on day 1...The prize of the class still remains S.Watkins of Clemson. He has number 1 potential...After that you have a mixed bag of varying size and skill sets to fit any offense you run....The name to keep an eye on is Allen Robinson from Penn State. He put up impressive numbers when opposing defenses were always keying on him and average at best QB play. He logs a good 40 time and he could be the 2nd WR off the board
    Last edited by swiper; 03-30-2014 at 06:32 AM.

7. Post thanked by:

YardRat (03-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

One name off your list:

Martavis Bryant, Clem- 6' 4" 221 and runs a 4.42. Lanky but long arms. If he can add bulk he could be a nice option.