Thread: Sabres almost got Seguin for Vanek

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sabres almost got Seguin for Vanek

Buffalo and Boston discussed a trade package that would have sent Thomas Vanek to the Bruins in exchange for Seguin, multiple sources told The News on Monday. It’s not clear why the talks, held at the draft in June, fell through, but it is known the Bruins were seeking another NHL-ready player off the Sabres’ roster.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/sabres-bruins-talked-about-vanek-seguin-trade-last-june-20140203

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,658 Times in 4,936 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sabres almost got Seguin for Vanek

Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun also claims the Sabres tried to shop Miller to the Anaheim Ducks for prospect goalie John Gibson and a first-round pick prior to hiring new GM Tim Murray.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,592 Times in 12,108 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Downinfloflo View Post
    Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun also claims the Sabres tried to shop Miller to the Anaheim Ducks for prospect goalie John Gibson and a first-round pick prior to hiring new GM Tim Murray.
    thanks alot. now i have to change my shorts.

imagine that deal...
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sabres almost got Seguin for Vanek
    And I almost got my helmet washed by a super model.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,384 Times in 13,776 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No. Trades. Within. The. Division.

If he ended up on Boston, he'd score 45 goals a season for the rest of his career and average 3 a year against the Sabres.

Remember how Boston fleeced Toronto on the Kessel trade and went on to win a Cup? That's what would have happened.

6. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DetDannyWilliams View Post
    Buffalo and Boston discussed a trade package that would have sent Thomas Vanek to the Bruins in exchange for Seguin, multiple sources told The News on Monday. It’s not clear why the talks, held at the draft in June, fell through, but it is known the Bruins were seeking another NHL-ready player off the Sabres’ roster.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/sabres-bruins-talked-about-vanek-seguin-trade-last-june-20140203
    So it would have been Vanek and another player for Seguin? Part of me is upset with the deal but I think we got a better deal. As one has to wonder if Seguin be putting up the numbers he is in Dallas here. That said if he did they we not be as "bad" as we are right now which to me a worse situation. As I think hitting rock bottom is where this team needs to be if going to truly improve. I just hope we can get a top 6 young forward in a trade of either Miller/Ott and/or Moulson and a prospect back. Also I'm liking the Islanders recent slide and Vanek declining their offer. As it might lead to us getting another top 5 pick in this year's draft. Hopefully a top 3. As I really can't see them gambling on giving us a pick in 2015 with McDavid being out there.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    So it would have been Vanek and another player for Seguin? Part of me is upset with the deal but I think we got a better deal. As one has to wonder if Seguin be putting up the numbers he is in Dallas here. That said if he did they we not be as "bad" as we are right now which to me a worse situation. As I think hitting rock bottom is where this team needs to be if going to truly improve. I just hope we can get a top 6 young forward in a trade of either Miller/Ott and/or Moulson and a prospect back. Also I'm liking the Islanders recent slide and Vanek declining their offer. As it might lead to us getting another top 5 pick in this year's draft. Hopefully a top 3. As I really can't see them gambling on giving us a pick in 2015 with McDavid being out there.
    Um, we fired the coach, fired his replacement, fired the GM, are currently in last place and are in danger of being the lowest scoring team in the history of the 82 game season.

What exactly is your definition of "rock bottom"?

9. Post thanked by:

Skooby (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Um, we fired the coach, fired his replacement, fired the GM, are currently in last place and are in danger of being the lowest scoring team in the history of the 82 game season.

Everything being equal in ice-hockey, mine involves the ice melting.

11. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (02-06-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Being what we are now, the worst team in the NHL and hopefully end up with the top pick (or more) in the 2014 draft. Honestly as bad as this team is right now I think I'd rather see this then be where we've been before which is teetering making the playoffs or not and not have any real direction. As to me we can only get better from here and significantly better if have a solid trade deadline/offseason.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Being what we are now, the worst team in the NHL and hopefully end up with the top pick (or more) in the 2014 draft. Honestly as bad as this team is right now I think I'd rather see this then be where we've been before which is teetering making the playoffs or not and not have any real direction. As to me we can only get better from here and significantly better if have a solid trade deadline/offseason.
    That's the only reason I'm not furious about this horrific season- I knew it had to be done.

What makes me furious is that most of us knew it had to be done 5 years ago, but instead we had to spend 5 more years with Regier teams whose ceiling was a first round playoff loss. If we had suffered this pain when we should have instead of letting Darcy harbor his delusions of being successful with Vanek, Roy and Pominville, then we'd already be competitive again.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Downinfloflo View Post
    If you got that trade, write that guy up for executive of the decade!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That's the only reason I'm not furious about this horrific season- I knew it had to be done.

What makes me furious is that most of us knew it had to be done 5 years ago, but instead we had to spend 5 more years with Regier teams whose ceiling was a first round playoff loss. If we had suffered this pain when we should have instead of letting Darcy harbor his delusions of being successful with Vanek, Roy and Pominville, then we'd already be competitive again.
    the sabres would be competitive with those guys. problem is, its limited. first or second round exits. thats not the goal, last i checked.

- - - Updated - - -

the sabres would be competitive with those guys. problem is, its limited. first or second round exits. thats not the goal, last i checked.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep