• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tampabay25690
    • Feb 2004

Re: Miller is ready to move on, so let him

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths View Post
    Good for me. Wondered if they made a framework for a contract. Miller did look out of it in the interview.
    Bingo!!
    Last I knew that was wed that he was probably sticking around!!!
    That changed real fast...
    I thought I was seeing him Tomorrow but I'm not....
    I did just get his olympic USA jersey for my boy... I'm getting tomorrow signed to my son....
    He signed it to him last week Wed I believe..

Y do u think the huge disconnect in front office....
    GO Gators!!!!!!
    GO GATORS!!

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Downinfloflo View Post
      Money can't do anything but get you to the Salary Cap..

Murray was Pats choice, Pegula has no clue when it comes to hockey.

He's not the only clueless Rich guy who owns a team. Dolan is in the same boat.
      see? flo, we can talk puck without quelling my optimism for the teams future. thats my only beef with you. let me enjoy my cloud 9.

i hoped pegula would be like cuban (without the mouth)

hes not.
      Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• WagonCircler
        Escaped Convict
        • Jul 2002

A guy who called WGR just now, who claimed to have sources with two NHL teams (as always, who knows?) had what seems to me to be the most plausible explanation for all of this.

He said that Patty LaLa and Teddy wanted a two year rebuild that included Miller and Ott in the fold. Murray, and apparently Pegula, realized that a total tear-down is necessary, and that this would take longer than two years, despite all the money the Sabres have for free agency. They prefer to build via the draft and add FAs later.

This coincides nicely with my feelings on the potential tanking for McDavid next year, which would seem certain to have been part of the conversation.

The caller's explanation is the first story I've heard that has the ring of truth to it.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by tampabay25690 View Post
          Bingo!!
          Last I knew that was wed that he was probably sticking around!!!
          That changed real fast...
          I thought I was seeing him Tomorrow but I'm not....
          I did just get his olympic USA jersey for my boy... I'm getting tomorrow signed to my son....
          He signed it to him last week Wed I believe..

Y do u think the huge disconnect in front office....
          Nice.

Disconnect? I have no idea. Maybe Sawyer, is he still around? Lot of Pittsburgh connections right now with Black and Sawyer and now Patrick. To be honest, I think maybe Pat wanted to go in a certain direction and when it didn't go in that direction, he quit. I mean it happened before with the Islanders where the owner didn't do what he wanted to do and left. I like LaFontaine alot, but I don't give him a pass just because. They built the office to be a 'by committee" office and if the committee that he helped put together went against his wishes, then he should just live with that.

I wanted to keep Miller too, but he would be on the wrong side of 35 at the earliest this team would be able to seriously contend. I wouldn't mind seeing them make a run for him in free agency. I just hoped they talked to him first, but the way he reacted when he left, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Comment

• coastal
            Legendary Zoner
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
            A guy who called WGR just now, who claimed to have sources with two NHL teams (as always, who knows?) had what seems to me to be the most plausible explanation for all of this.

He said that Patty LaLa and Teddy wanted a two year rebuild that included Miller and Ott in the fold. Murray, and apparently Pegula, realized that a total tear-down is necessary, and that this would take longer than two years, despite all the money the Sabres have for free agency. They prefer to build via the draft and add FAs later.

This coincides nicely with my feelings on the potential tanking for McDavid next year, which would seem certain to have been part of the conversation.

The caller's explanation is the first story I've heard that has the ring of truth to it.
            Ownership (Pegula) and mgmt (Murray) on the same page.

All about what is the best way to rebuild the on-ice product!

Buffalo sports has seen a lot worse than that.

patty didn't apparently share that vision so it's best that he's moved on.

Murray's in the game now and a job that suits his reported strengths.

i think he will work his ass off.

Comment

• WagonCircler
              Escaped Convict
              • Jul 2002

The other thing about this story is that it explains Ted Nolan's apparent reluctance to sign a 3-year deal. It has to be a tough enough gig, going out and either tanking or just getting beat because you're team is a group of boys playing against men every night.

But then, just when all your hard work and patience is about ready to pay off, you have to negotiate a new contract after you've finished dead last for 3 years.

Comment

• Swiper
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2010

Money can't do anything but get you to the Salary Cap..

Murray was Pats choice, Pegula has no clue when it comes to hockey.

He's not the only clueless Rich guy who owns a team. Dolan is in the same boat.
                I'm not a basketball fan. But got to listen to Michael Kaye lay into Dolan and the Knick's GM (Mills ?) on the way home today. They have ruined the basketball team and are not talking to the media. They are leaving it all to the coach to explain. Dolan is a tool.

Comment

• Swiper
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                  Ownership (Pegula) and mgmt (Murray) on the same page.

All about what is the best way to rebuild the on-ice product!

Buffalo sports has seen a lot worse than that.

patty didn't apparently share that vision so it's best that he's moved on.

Murray's in the game now and a job that suits his reported strengths.

i think he will work his ass off.
                  So LaFontaine disagreed. But leaving is tantamount to one big temper tantrum on his part. So bye-bye Pat. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. It might cause another concussion.

- - - Updated - - -

The other thing about this story is that it explains Ted Nolan's apparent reluctance to sign a 3-year deal. It has to be a tough enough gig, going out and either tanking or just getting beat because you're team is a group of boys playing against men every night.

But then, just when all your hard work and patience is about ready to pay off, you have to negotiate a new contract after you've finished dead last for 3 years.
                  Makes too much sense.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                    • Feb 2005

IDK about that theory... I feel like it's more a matter of timing... LaLa's departure needs to die off a bit.

He'll sign in a couple days because it's his (only) ticket back into the NHL.
                    Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 03-03-2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• Downinfloflo
                      Victimizing The Victimizer
                      • Aug 2012

A lot more to this story, And I don't think anyone will ever know for a long time, Patty signed a non disclosure agreement as part of his settlement with the Sabres.

That alone tells you some **** went down..Matt Barnaby was on the radio today talking about what he has heard, Any one catch it?

Comment

• WagonCircler
                        Escaped Convict
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
                        IDK about that theory... I feel like it's more a matter of timing... LaLa's departure needs to die off a bit.

He'll sign in a couple days because it's his (only) ticket back into the NHL.
                        I agree with most of that, but the offer was made quite a few days ago, initially. He must have had some misgivings then, or he'd have just signed. But I think the drama was bubbling for a lot longer than any of us know.

Comment

• coastal
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

A lot more to this story, And I don't think anyone will ever know for a long time, Patty signed a non disclosure agreement as part of his settlement with the Sabres.

That alone tells you some **** went down..Matt Barnaby was on the radio today talking about what he has heard, Any one catch it?
                          Non-disclosures are standard at that level of corporate organizations.

Barnaby thinks he's in the know but is just attaching himself to the drama angle of this.

From what I've seen this boils down to philosophical differences.

The owner and GM in one corner and the Pres of Ops and coach in the other.

It's a drama created by Pegula and it's now resolved.

The rest is just talking head fodder and inconsequential.

its Murray's show now.

Comment

• coastal
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Mar 2005

Milbury is in the middle of roasting Lafontaine and Nolan.

wow.

basically said both of them shouldn't let the door hit them in the ass on the way out.

this is not your father's Sabres!

good!
                            Last edited by coastal; 03-03-2014, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• Downinfloflo
                              Victimizing The Victimizer
                              • Aug 2012

All I know is, Ryan Callahan lowered his contract demands after the Sabres front office debacle, Coincidence?? LOL

Thursdays @8 Only On Bravo!!

Bh0MRobIMAAHN9K.jpg

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                                Milbury is in the middle of roasting Lafontaine and Nolan.

wow.

basically said both of them shouldn't let the door hit them in the ass on the way out.

this is not your father's Sabres!

good!
                                Oh no! Not the great Milbury roasting someone!? They will never recover.

Milbury is and has always been a scumbag. He might even be right about some of it, but as a coach and GM, he sucked and wouldn't (and probably didn't) pay attention to anything he said. I love the line about as the coach, you just do what your told and tow the line. Yeah, coaches just love that.

Comment

Working...
                                X