X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

Mike Sam may go undrafted

I am sorry I find this a hysterical thought. Because he did not do well at the combine no one will draft the SEC def player of the year and one of the leading sack guys in the nation.

Look I dont think he is an athletic freak but if he is there in round 6 or 7 I hope the bills pull the trigger because if anything he will be a good special teams guy and a hustle guy.

No way in the world does that go undrafted because of the combine. The fact that these draftniks try and prop the combine up as some all important athletic test is a joke.

The only thing important about the combine is the stuff that is not shown on tv, medical, measurements, and interviews.

Trust me the other stuff has no barring on draft board rankings what so ever.
  • OLDSRIP
    • Dec 2008

Re: Mike Sam may go undrafted

I have a question about this guy. I haven't seen him play. I don't see much college football.

How is the SEC defensive player of the year only rated to be a 3rd or 4th rd. pick or worse?

Isn't the DEC defensive player of the year usually a stud?

Comment

• jdaltroy5
      • Aug 2012

The combine definitely has a bearing on when certain players are drafted.

We've seen guys jump up the board based on raw athletic ability. Dontari Poe, Darrius Heyward-Bey, and Vernon Gholston come to mind just off the top of my head.

We took TJ Graham and Marquise Goodwin simply because they had great 40 times.

The combine definitely has a bearing on draft boards, even if it's to gain a scout's attention or to question a certain aspect of his game.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by OLDSRIP View Post
        I have a question about this guy. I haven't seen him play. I don't see much college football.

How is the SEC defensive player of the year only rated to be a 3rd or 4th rd. pick or worse?

Same reason that some Heisman candidates aren't drafted that highly.

Sometimes their game just doesn't translate that well to the pros.

Apparently, he racked up a lot of his sacks against inferior competition and he's more a 'tweener.

Comment

• OLDSRIP
          • Dec 2008

Thanks, makes sense.

Since I don't watch college to often, I have no idea who he's playing against or anything like that.

But when I hear SEC I think of top quality football. But being a tweeter makes it understandable
          We have all seen to many college pass rushers flame out in the NFL. Aaron Maybin as a example.

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by OLDSRIP View Post

The same reasons Heisman winners like Tebow and Jason White are useless in the NFL.

Comment

• Downinfloflo
              Victimizing The Victimizer
              • Aug 2012

The Stress of the Combine with all the press following him around because he's gay could have had an affect on his performance.

His PRO day is going to determine the round he get's drafted.

Same thing happened last year to Tao..He crapped the bed at the Combine but made up some ground at his pro day.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by jdaltroy5 View Post
                The combine definitely has a bearing on when certain players are drafted.

We've seen guys jump up the board based on raw athletic ability. Dontari Poe, Darrius Heyward-Bey, and Vernon Gholston come to mind just off the top of my head.

We took TJ Graham and Marquise Goodwin simply because they had great 40 times.

The combine definitely has a bearing on draft boards, even if it's to gain a scout's attention or to question a certain aspect of his game.

I dont agree with this at all. The bills knew they were fast before the combine because they ran a 4.2x and a 4.3x at the combine did not move them up our boards.

I hope and pray the bills front office does not move guys up and down based on their combine test numbers.

I have no problem removing guys if they dont fit your height weight deal, but because player x was a third rounder before combine and now is a second rounder based on 40 and athletic test is dumb.

You rate the players off their tape.

You remove guys from the board based on medical and interviews not athletic measurables.

Plenty of guys have been HOFs with terrible combines and just because someone blows the combine does not mean a darn thing.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                  • Aug 2004

He was only considered a 4th round pick at best before the combine and all the the circus that's following him around. Just because he was the SEC DPOY doesn't guarantee that he is a great fit at the professional level. Does that mean he is a better pass rusher then Clowney? With that logic it would be.

Many of them sacks can come against inferior OL that won't even be in the NFL. That and if you have other good players around you then it can set you up for more success. If all you are going by are stats then the QB's for Hawaill should be high draft picks every year during the early 2000's.

Many players put up huge numbers in college sports. Your game just may not translate to the NFL level of competition as others do. Either that or many of them stats are being put up against future burger flippers.
                  Last edited by BillsFever21; 02-27-2014, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• jdaltroy5
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                    I dont agree with this at all. The bills knew they were fast before the combine because they ran a 4.2x and a 4.3x at the combine did not move them up our boards.

I hope and pray the bills front office does not move guys up and down based on their combine test numbers.

I have no problem removing guys if they dont fit your height weight deal, but because player x was a third rounder before combine and now is a second rounder based on 40 and athletic test is dumb.

You remove guys from the board based on medical and interviews not athletic measurables.

Plenty of guys have been HOFs with terrible combines and just because someone blows the combine does not mean a darn thing.
                    It's not dumb.

You take everything into account when evaluating a player. I completely agree that the game tape is by far the most important asset in evaluating a player, but coaches love a dominating physical specimen.

They look at that raw athletic ability and think that they can mould him into something special.

It happens every year.

Comment

• feldspar
                      • Mar 2007

...because he's gay.

The only reason people talk about him is because he's gay.

Then they'll tell you that it doesn't matter that he's gay, but if he wasn't, they wouldn't be talking about him at all, really.

Comment

• Swiper
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post

What don't you get? The combine bore out the fact that Michael Sam just isn't a good athlete.

The fact is he probably knew his draft status would drop when he decided to come out - and he did just to give himself name recognition so maybe some team would feel sorry for him and draft him in the 7th.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by BillsFever21 View Post
                          He was only considered a 4th round pick at best before the combine and all the the circus that's following him around. Just because he was the SEC DPOY doesn't guarantee that he is a great fit at the professional level. Does that mean he is a better pass rusher then Clowney? With that logic it would be.

Many of them sacks can come against inferior OL that won't even be in the NFL. That and if you have other good players around you then it can set you up for more success. If all you are going by are stats then the QB's for Hawaill should be high draft picks every year during the early 2000's.

Many players put up huge numbers in college sports. Your game just may not translate to the NFL level of competition as others do. Either that or many of them stats are being put up against future burger flippers.
                          If those guys were putting up those numbers in the SEC, you'd better believe they'd be high draft picks.

Numbers aren't useless for draft purposes but they do need context. Russell Wilson's numbers from Wisconsin translated because it was an NFL offense with an NFL sized OL. Bradford's didn't because he came from a shotgun spread offense that helps people put up video game stats.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                          What don't you get? The combine bore out the fact that Michael Sam just isn't a good athlete.

The fact is he probably knew his draft status would drop when he decided to come out - and he did just to give himself name recognition so maybe some team would feel sorry for him and draft him in the 7th.
                          He knew his homosexuality would come out in the combine process regardless, so he got out ahead of the story.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• The Jokeman
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Downinfloflo View Post
                            The Stress of the Combine with all the press following him around because he's gay could have had an affect on his performance.

His PRO day is going to determine the round he get's drafted.

Same thing happened last year to Tao..He crapped the bed at the Combine but made up some ground at his pro day.
                            Even if he runs another 4.9 forty some team will draft him in the late rounds as no matter what you think publicity always helps teams. I could see him going to a team like the Jets, Cowboys or maybe even the Redskins or any insert media w_ore team name here. Or maybe even Belechick will take him because he seems to always end up getting talented guys that the rest of the league seems to want to stay away from.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                              If those guys were putting up those numbers in the SEC, you'd better believe they'd be high draft picks.

Numbers aren't useless for draft purposes but they do need context. Russell Wilson's numbers from Wisconsin translated because it was an NFL offense with an NFL sized OL. Bradford's didn't because he came from a shotgun spread offense that helps people put up video game stats.

- - - Updated - - -

He knew his homosexuality would come out in the combine process regardless, so he got out ahead of the story.
                              I never said that stats didn't matter at all but that you just can't look at stats and call a player good because of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X