Thread: Principled Lions would be on ‘slippery slope’ adding an NFL talent like Chad ‘Ochocin

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,536 Times in 2,763 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Principled Lions would be on ‘slippery slope’ adding an NFL talent like Chad ‘Ochocin

Say it ain't so.
    http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...683/story.html

I hope they do not bring him up here.
    Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Harry S Truman 1941.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Principled Lions would be on ‘slippery slope’ adding an NFL talent like Chad ‘Och

Sounds like the lions said no.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Principled Lions would be on ‘slippery slope’ adding an NFL talent like Chad ‘Och

Sounds like they weren't too thrilled with it to begin with.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Sounds like they weren't too thrilled with it to begin with.
    Which is good, more family orienented up here. Alot of people were not amused when the argos brought in ricky williams, and the same people were happy when he sucked up here.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ticatfan View Post
    Which is good, more family orienented up here. Alot of people were not amused when the argos brought in ricky williams, and the same people were happy when he sucked up here.
    Why would they be upset with Ricky Williams? Over weed?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Registered User Soviet_Canuckastani's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    Why would they be upset with Ricky Williams? Over weed?
    He's just talking out his arse again, Ricky was well liked, hell he didn't perform that great on the field but his off-field actions really warmed him to the fanbase, and yah, like Toronto would tut-tut someone who smokes pot, only someone from Renfrew would draw that BS.

7. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (03-31-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010...ndersloot.html

When Arlene Vandersloot first told her brother about her new neighbour, he shrieked.It was spring of 2006 and Vandersloot was describing what she knew about the man moving in next door: he is American, plays football and relocating to Toronto to play for the Argonauts, she said.

Oh, and his name is Ricky, she added. Ricky Williams?

“He starts freaking out. ‘What are you talking about? Ricky Williams is going to live next door?’” Vandersloot recalls, chuckling at the memory. “I remember that as being a total moment of, ‘Oh. My neighbour makes people scream.’”

At the time, Vandersloot was 42, a former midwife and raising four kids with her businessman husband, Jim Harrison — “about as far from a sports enthusiast as anybody could be,” she describes herself.

So she had no idea her new neighbour was an American sports celebrity; now a running back for the Miami Dolphins, Williams won the Heisman collegiate trophy in 1998 and was once considered the brightest rising star in the NFL.

PhotosView photos

• zoom

What she also didn’t know was that Williams would eventually become one of her dearest friends — but that would come later.

Shortly before Williams moved next door to Vandersloot on Dundonald St., a leafy row of Victorian homes in downtown Toronto, the football player was making more headlines for his off-field conduct than his athleticism.

In the red-blooded world of pro football, Williams is often considered something of a misfit: he practises yoga, eats vegetarian food and was known to conduct post-game interviews while still wearing his helmet. Williams also struggles with social anxiety and a recently-released ESPN documentary reveals he may have been sexually abused by his father as a child.

At some point in his life, Williams started smoking marijuana. In 2004, he failed his third drug test with the NFL and made the controversial decision to ditch a multimillion dollar contract and travel the world for a year, at one point camping in a tent in Australia for $7 a day. He returned to the NFL only to fail yet another drug test in 2006 — his fourth in about five years — and was suspended from the league for an entire season.

With a year to kill, Williams decided to sign a one-year contract with the Toronto Argonauts for $240,000, a fraction of what he earned in the NFL. The American football player was suddenly on his way to Canada — and to the house next door to Arlene Vandersloot.

Williams arrived in Toronto on May 21, 2006, his 29th birthday. A California native, he was shocked by the still-frigid temperatures of Canadian springtime but liked the city immediately. He asked his girlfriend, Kristin Barnes, to find a home for them and their four-year-old son Prince.

Kristin wanted to rent a condo in Mississauga but Williams insisted on a three-storey brick home on Dundonald St., a slice of century-old homes sandwiched between the hustle of Yonge St. and the bustling gay village on Church. Owned by a gay couple, the house cost $7,000 a month — twice as much as the Mississauga condo.

“It was a little expensive but I didn’t care,” Williams says. “I thought it was perfect.”

Toronto was also a perfect refuge from his troubles and celebrity. He and Kristin are a mixed-race couple but this was no big deal in multicultural Toronto. The relative anonymity was also a novelty and Williams relished being able to eat vegetarian meals at Fresh or ride his bike to Harbord St. where he taught a weekly yoga class.

“I liked the fact that I could walk up and down Yonge,” he says. “I like to people watch and it’s hard for me to people watch in the States because everyone’s watching me.”

cont.....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet_Canuckastani View Post
    He's just talking out his arse again, Ricky was well liked, hell he didn't perform that great on the field but his off-field actions really warmed him to the fanbase, and yah, like Toronto would tut-tut someone who smokes pot, only someone from Renfrew would draw that BS.
    Not saying he was not a nice person ,but as a CFL fan which you are not, I know alot of fans did not like the signing and hope he would fail which he did. Alot of CFL fans are insulted when the argoes bring in these retreads. So screw you jelly bean.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not saying he was not a nice person ,but as a CFL fan which you are not, I know alot of fans did not like the signing and hope he would fail which he did. Alot of CFL fans are insulted when the argoes bring in these retreads. So screw you jelly bean.
    As a non-CFL fan, and as a Torontonian, I don't give a s*** what you think about who they bring in to play here.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not liking him because he's an American retread player is one thing, but you stated that people didn't like him because they were "family oriented." What has Williams done that is even close to Ochocinco's spousal abuse? Williams was just a guy with social disorders who liked the sticky icky.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet_Canuckastani View Post
    As a non-CFL fan, and as a Torontonian, I don't give a s*** what you think about who they bring in to play here.
    The STFU about it. Don't bother opening my threads. People like you that think you are so much better then others ,really makes them look like the fools they are. And that is the major problem the ROC has with certain citizens in the GTA, your heads are so far up your ass, that the loss of air has made you mentally challenged.I would not be to proud of that. lol

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

MONTREAL -- One month after the BC Lions flirted with the idea of bringing in Chad Johnson, the Montreal Alouettes appear to have taken it a step further.

On Saturday, Alouettes General Manager Jim Popp issued the following statement regarding the veteran receiver.

“We do expect to meet with Chad Johnson and work him out in Vero Beach, FL this week," said Popp in a release.

"Talks did take place and have escalated over the last week.”

The former NFL star who spent 10 seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals first broke the news himself Friday night on Twitter.

http://cfl.ca/article/alouettes-to-w...t-chad-johnson

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Chad Johnson ran a quick out pattern Tuesday night under the hot Florida sun, and former Calgary Dinos linebacker Mike Edem, now the safety for the Montreal Alouettes, was there to greet him with a little press coverage.

Despite the fact Edem was all over him, Johnson was able to haul in the pigskin, which wasn’t surprising when you considered the 36-year-old is a six-time Pro Bowler. Edem doesn’t mess around, though, and he tried to strip that ball out of the hands of the man formerly known as Ochocinco. Johnson, who was wearing a white No. 85 jersey featuring the LCF logo just below his chin, wasn’t about to give it up. A struggle ensued. A few teammates had to run over to stop it from escalating.

“That was fun,” Johnson said with a twinkle in his eye after his first CFL mini-camp practice. “If it’s in the air I’m going to do my best to get it, regardless of who it is. It’s all about competing.”

And that was the theme at Historic Dodgertown on Tuesday night. Johnson is at Aloeuttes mini-camp to compete as an unsigned player. It’s not a publicity stunt. He’s not just adding another attention-seeking entry to his resume, which already includes Dancing with the Stars, bull riding and a pro soccer tryout.

“He shows a real interest,” Alouettes general manager Jim Popp said. “He just wants to get back on the field. So this is just a step. This is: Get in here, we’ll see you for a couple days, and we’ll see how you’re doing.”

Johnson hasn’t played football since he was in training camp with the Miami Dolphins in 2012, and that’s wen he let it all slip away. He was arrested on Aug. 11, 2012, after allegedly head butting his wife during an argument. The Dolphins released him, and Johnson eventually served time in jail for violating his probation related to the domestic battery charge.

A contrite Johnson said Tuesday he got what he deserved, but he couldn’t stay away from the game any longer.

“I made a horrible mistake, and a dream of mine since I was four years old was taken from me, rightfully so, and I just want to get back to doing something that I love to do,” he said.

News of Johnson’s presence at Dodgertown, the former spring home of the Los Angeles Dodgers, obviously spread since the Alouettes announced the news on Saturday, because there were more than half a dozen news outlets documenting his every move and at least 150 fans in attendance. Alouettes director of communications Charles Rooke said there were three fans and three media members present for Day 1 of Montreal’s mini-camp last year at the same location.

Once he hit the field, a youth baseball team came over and chanted “Ocho-cinco!” and asked him to wave, which he did. Other than that and the crowd, some of whom were wearing his Cincinnati Bengals jersey, it was your average CFL mini-camp practice.

“There’s little nuances about this game that I have to learn,” Johnson said. “I really enjoy it. It’s just another hurdle, another obstacle. It’s something I’m going to enjoy.

“I felt good. I’m nowhere near any of these guys as far as the nuances of this game. From a mental standpoint this is a lot different. I’m just looking forward to getting better each day.”

While there was plenty of buzz outside the lines, Alouettes linebacker Kyries Hebert, who was Johnson’s teammate for a while in Cincinnati, insisted it was no big deal between them.

“I just hope that he has a great opportunity and he can play as he’s played in the past and help us to be a better team,” Hebert said. “Outside of all the talking and the Tweets and all that, the guy loves football. No one can ever argue that. Every day he comes to practice, I’ve never seen him take a play off.”

If Johnson likes the CFL game and the Alouettes think Johnson can make them better, then he will sign a contract that would be nowhere near what he made during his time in the NFL. The salary cap for a CFL team is $4.4 million; Johnson made nearly $6 million per season with the Bengals.

“I don’t need the money,” he said. “I could’ve just stayed at CBS (where he did NFL analysis last season) for the same thing. I don’t even need a check. Didn’t I give it all away for 12 years straight? Did I ever care about money when I played throughout my career? No. I still don’t.

“I want to have fun. I want to enjoy the game. That’s it. If it was about the money I would’ve stayed at CBS.”

Johnson and the rest of the Alouettes will be back on the practice field at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday.

TWITTER LEADS CHAD TO CFL

Chad Johnson believes there’s one main reason he’s attending Alouettes mini-camp this week: Twitter.

The man who is 30th on the NFL’s career receiving list is one of the most influential athletes on the social media network, with more than 3.5 million followers. He has also issued more than 72,000 tweets, like this one after his first practice with the Alouettes on Tuesday night: “I can’t find McDonald’s!!”

Johnson got the ball rolling last month when he said he tweeted he intended to play in the CFL in 2014. One thing led to another, and the Alouettes ended up putting him on their negotiation list in the last month or so after the B.C. Lions took him off theirs.

Johnson, meanwhile, has been working out with Alouettes receiver Duron Carter in Boca Raton, Fla., so Duron’s dad — legendary Minnesota Vikings receiver Cris Carter — called Alouettes GM Jim Popp to say Johnson was interested.

And here we are.

“The power of Twitter,” Johnson said. “… Everything starts with Twitter these days.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/15...with-alouettes

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They signed him . now if the bills had a recieving corp like montreal's duron carter ,dave clowney, jamel richardson and johnson, you might go somewhere. lol