Is EJ Manuel Better Than We Think He Is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

Re: Is EJ Manuel Better Than We Think He Is?

Originally posted by Jan Reimers View Post
    Could we maybe give EJ another season, hopefully a full one? He was injured during preseason, which caused him to miss valuable practice and games, then played only 10 regular season contests. Could we also get him another receiver and a decent left guard and right tackle?

We won't know anything until he puts in another season, hopefully with a better supporting cast.
    Yeah imagine what he'd do with a healthy Stevie Johnson too. I mean everyone remembers Manuel getting hurt but forgets his best receiving option was also hurt for most of the season. Personally I give another 20 or so games to see what he has. To me the biggest concern I had for his play last year was the inability to avoid injuries. It might be we/he rushed himself back after the preseason one but either way I liked his overall play, for a rookie, last year.

Comment

• Dr. Who
      • Jul 2002

I am certain that those who are certain that EJ will never be a good NFL qb are incapable of complex, nuanced thinking. You have to be able to project and to account for mitigating circumstances. Much easier to play to the peanut gallery with smug nastiness.

Comment

• jills
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
        58.8% completion percentage as a rookie in 2013.

11 TD's and 9 Int's in 10 games played.

A 4-6 starting record that could easily be 5-5 if Stevie Johnson and Scott Chandler didn't fumble in Toronto.

In his first ever game as a professional football player, EJ Manuel completed 18 out of 27 attempts for a 66.7% completion percentage, 2 TD's and 0 picks against the New England Patriots in a 21-23 loss.

In his second game as a pro, coming off a hard loss EJ Manuel played great against a very good Carolina Panthers team, completing 27 out of 39 attempts for 296 yards and had a 69.2% completion percentage in his first win as a pro.

Not bad, kid.

In his third game as a starting professional quarterback in the NFL, EJ Manuel played his second worst game of the season in his first road game in New York with a 45.2% completion percentage, but threw for 243 yards, had 1 TD, and 0 picks against a very good Jets defense in a close 20-27 loss.

In EJ Manuel's fourth game, he once again did not play well at all, but the Bills somehow won the game against the Ravens in the clutch.

And then came Cleveland. Let's just skip over that one and move on 1 month and 1 week later...

In his sixth game starting in the National Football League, coming off another injury to his knee, EJ Manuel went 22/39 for 155 yards, threw 1 TD and 1 Int in Pittsburgh playing on sand and mud.

In his 7th game as a rookie quarterback, EJ Manuel had his best game of the season against the New York Jets hitting on 20 out of 28 attempts, for 245 yards, 2 TD's and 0 picks, crushing the Jets 37-14.

In his 8th game, EJ Manuel didn't play great, threw for 210 yards, 1 TD, 0 picks and his stats would have looked a hell of a lot better if Chandler or Johnson weren't eating Canadian Butterfingers.

In Manuel's 9th game, the Bills got smoked in Tampa. It was the only game he played in all season that wasn't close. Every other game he played in was close.

In the last game of his rookie season against Jacksonville, EJ Manuel was 17 of 24 for his second highest completion percentage of the season (70.8%) threw 2 TD's and 1 pick in a win.

10 games total, 3 knee injuries, and 3 months after the season ended I'm starting to think EJ Manuel is going to be the franchise quarterback the Bills have been looking for.
        Funny how you state if it wasn't for Stevie and Chandler sucking he would have another W, I think the same credit goes for the defense who won games in spite of Manuel.

Let's not act like we was carrying this team, because that's what franchise QB's do.

Comment

• Victor7
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          Often I think he is worst than we think he is
          This

So far he's Trent 2.0 in my book.

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
            58.8% completion percentage as a rookie in 2013.

11 TD's and 9 Int's in 10 games played.

A 4-6 starting record that could easily be 5-5 if Stevie Johnson and Scott Chandler didn't fumble in Toronto.

In his first ever game as a professional football player, EJ Manuel completed 18 out of 27 attempts for a 66.7% completion percentage, 2 TD's and 0 picks against the New England Patriots in a 21-23 loss.

In his second game as a pro, coming off a hard loss EJ Manuel played great against a very good Carolina Panthers team, completing 27 out of 39 attempts for 296 yards and had a 69.2% completion percentage in his first win as a pro.

Not bad, kid.

In his third game as a starting professional quarterback in the NFL, EJ Manuel played his second worst game of the season in his first road game in New York with a 45.2% completion percentage, but threw for 243 yards, had 1 TD, and 0 picks against a very good Jets defense in a close 20-27 loss.

In EJ Manuel's fourth game, he once again did not play well at all, but the Bills somehow won the game against the Ravens in the clutch.

And then came Cleveland. Let's just skip over that one and move on 1 month and 1 week later...

In his sixth game starting in the National Football League, coming off another injury to his knee, EJ Manuel went 22/39 for 155 yards, threw 1 TD and 1 Int in Pittsburgh playing on sand and mud.

In his 7th game as a rookie quarterback, EJ Manuel had his best game of the season against the New York Jets hitting on 20 out of 28 attempts, for 245 yards, 2 TD's and 0 picks, crushing the Jets 37-14.

In his 8th game, EJ Manuel didn't play great, threw for 210 yards, 1 TD, 0 picks and his stats would have looked a hell of a lot better if Chandler or Johnson weren't eating Canadian Butterfingers.

In Manuel's 9th game, the Bills got smoked in Tampa. It was the only game he played in all season that wasn't close. Every other game he played in was close.

In the last game of his rookie season against Jacksonville, EJ Manuel was 17 of 24 for his second highest completion percentage of the season (70.8%) threw 2 TD's and 1 pick in a win.

10 games total, 3 knee injuries, and 3 months after the season ended I'm starting to think EJ Manuel is going to be the franchise quarterback the Bills have been looking for.
            You totally got me! I had the typical (and I bet expected) reaction of anger coming from my deeply ingrained skepticism of all connections between the Bills and success stemming from the team's decades of futility when I realized the JOKE was on ME!

Happy April's Fool's day!

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jills View Post
              Funny how you state if it wasn't for Stevie and Chandler sucking he would have another W, I think the same credit goes for the defense who won games in spite of Manuel.

Let's not act like we was carrying this team, because that's what franchise QB's do.
              The OP is not making excuses for EJ... Just asking the question.

BTW... Speaking of "in spite of"...

Week 1 NE - L - Good enough to win
              Week 2 CAR - W - Good enough to win - Game winning drive
              Week 3 NYJ - L - Not good enough to win
              Week 4 BAL - W - In spite of
              CLE - L - Good enough to win but injured
              PIT - L - Good enough to win
              NYJ - W - Good enough to win
              ATL - L - Good enough to win - Should have had game winning drive(s)
              TAM - L - Not good enough to win
              JAX - W - Good enough to win - Game winning drive

Summary...
              4 Wins (Includes 1 Win in spite of VS BAL & 1 win should have had vs ATL)
              7 Good enough to win
              3 Not good enough to win
              2 Game winning drives (should have had 1 more vs ATL)

That's probably admirable enough for a rookie QB in 31 other cities.

Comment

• Swiper
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2010

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

he is what he is until he proves otherwise. i'm fine running with him again this year, but i would like to see another qb aside from thad pushing him.

thad played really well for who he is and he deserves the 3rd spot. but that second spot needs to be much better and push the envelope to make EJ better or get the number 2 ready to be number 1

Comment

• Bill Cody
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                    he is what he is until he proves otherwise
                    at that point would you say he is what he isn't?

Comment

• mayotm
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post

Summary...
                      7 Good enough to win
                      3 Not good enough to win

I like EJ, but he was absolutely atrocious against Pittsburgh. Did you see that game? He was nowhere close to "good enough to win".

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                        • Sep 2003

Pretty deep QB class this year not to pick one up, if the bills pass they are fools!

Comment

• Dr. Who
                          • Jul 2002

Rookie qb first game back from injury. Probably don't want to extrapolate from that performance to form a holistic judgement. Or than again, go ahead. Sweeping generalization is a sign of genius with many posters.

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

just saying there were a lot of factors that can make you go either way on EJ and you wouldn't be wrong. without a full season its hard to know if he was plateauing. when he looked uncomfortable, he looked like he was forcing passes. in that second jets game when the jets imploded, he looked really relaxed and without worry.

he can't get hurt this season for week. that's the sad reality. And if he struggles like some thing we could, the team deserves to have a second option that can carry the defense's work forward.

this is a defensive team. it can win on defense if they are mistake free on offense and also get better from last year. they have to switch from being very good to dominating.

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post

Summary...
                              7 Good enough to win
                              3 Not good enough to win

Yeah, I wouldn't mention the Pgh game as "good enough to win," but the others for sure and you can toss both Dols games, which he would have won, seeing as how Lewis did little in them.

Comment

• mayotm
                                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Dr. Who View Post
                                Rookie qb first game back from injury. Probably don't want to extrapolate from that performance to form a holistic judgement. Or than again, go ahead. Sweeping generalization is a sign of genius with many posters.
                                Guess you missed the part where I stated that I like EJ. I simply pointed out that he was awful against Pittsburgh and was not "good enough to win"

Comment

Working...
                                X