Is EJ Manuel Better Than We Think He Is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GvilleBills
    • Mar 2006

Re: Is EJ Manuel Better Than We Think He Is?

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
    True. But while having arm strength won't make you a good QB, not having it most certainly will make you a bad one.

I don't consider Chad Pennington a bad QB, but I do think his career is Manuel's ceiling as of now.

Personally, 10 games is too soon to make a distinction. But Manuel's shortcomings are the same ones he's had for 4 years. He has not shown improvement. Jimbo is an offensive mind and he couldn't get EJ to progress in 3 years. This isn't a division 3 coaching staff here...this is FSU.

He's had one year in the NFL so far, and an abridged one at that. He gets next year. He's my QB, I'm rooting for him.
    But to think this is some snap judgement for many of us is simply inaccurate.
    Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Comment

• Mike
      • Jan 2009

Put it this way, when EJ was drafted many ofus went over to FSU boards and inquired about our 1st round pick.

What many of the knowledgable fans communicated was that EJ was a player that had great leadership and all the physical ability in the world and that translated well on the field most of the time which lead to him being 'frustrating' to watch. Moreover, some FSU fans eluded to how inconsistent and limited his production was and lastly how their freshman backup was better.

At this point, of course many on this site blasted poster on FSU boards for suggesting that a freshman QB was better than a 1st round pick! We'll those boys do know football and EJ better than many here as EJ proved to be every bit what he has been for last 4years all the while, a freshman QB went on to win Hiesman & BCS championship with the same damn team & coaches that previously held back our 1st round rookie QB.

If EJ stayed in college one more year, he would not even have been the best college QB this year. He would not be one if the top 3 QBs in this class. Heck, he would not even have been the best QB on his own team.
      Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by kishoph View Post
        I'd bet that's what the Atlanta Falcons thought when the got rid of Brett Favre, or when Tampa got rid of Steve Young, or when Green Bay got rid of Kurt Warner. That's 3 off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more that took more than 10 minutes (or 10 games) to show what they were capable of.
        Did you WATCH those guys play?

So your saying that you could not tell the difference in quality between Favre, Young, & Warner VS EJ in their first seasons as NFL starters?
        Please Make Sense

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          Did you WATCH those guys play?

So your saying that you could not tell the difference in quality between Favre, Young, & Warner VS EJ in their first seasons as NFL starters?
          As a rookie, Favre's first pass was intercepted for a touchdown. He threw 4 passes his rookie year, and he completed two of them...to the OTHER TEAM. Did not complete a single pass.

Young had USFL experience before going to Tampa Bay, where he really did kinda suck.

Favre and Young were STILL traded for value though. Green Bay gave a first rounder to Atlanta for Favre, and the 49ers gave Tampa a 2nd and 4th for Young.

Warner was a lot different. He went undrafted, and then Green Bay brought him in. He didn't even make the team. Don't think he was ready yet. The first year he actually played, Warner was like 28, won the Super Bowl, and was league MVP. Pretty amazing story.

Dunno why I'm talking like this. If anybody wants to bring up examples of QBs, there are tons more QBs that never panned out than the other way around. Everybody has their own story.

Comment

• gebobs
            One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
            As a rookie, Favre's first pass was intercepted for a touchdown. He threw 4 passes his rookie year, and he completed two of them...to the OTHER TEAM. Did not complete a single pass.

Young had USFL experience before going to Tampa Bay, where he really did kinda suck.

Favre and Young were STILL traded for value though. Green Bay gave a first rounder to Atlanta for Favre, and the 49ers gave Tampa a 2nd and 4th for Young.

Warner was a lot different. He went undrafted, and then Green Bay brought him in. He didn't even make the team. Don't think he was ready yet. The first year he actually played, Warner was like 28, won the Super Bowl, and was league MVP. Pretty amazing story.

Dunno why I'm talking like this. If anybody wants to bring up examples of QBs, there are tons more QBs that never panned out than the other way around. Everybody has their own story.
            So why bring up the few anomalies that sucked early and then went on to be great or even pretty good?
            Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Swiper
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2010

Reading comprehension? He said did you watch them in their first year as starters. Starters. Very different for those 3 vs Manuel. What you posted has nothing to do with the quote you cited.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                So EJ has reached his ceiling? And Alex Smith didn't take 5 seasons to reach his, which is game manager? Schaub's last season wasn't worse than EJ's and he might be done? Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Moore are as fragile as you think EJ is and both had half a season in their 8/9 year careers where you could say they played well?
                Those are the names I like to hear when comparing EJ to someone.

Makes me so excited.
                Last edited by TacklingDummy; 04-08-2014, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• Bert102176
                  • Aug 2002

he was a rookie last year a damn rookie, give him a chance, if we don't give him a chance we won't know and I see so many idiots saying we need a QB what if we never gave Jim Kelly a chance or Joe Ferguson he was a rookie give EJ a chance.
                  lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                    Reading comprehension? He said did you watch them in their first year as starters. Starters. Very different for those 3 vs Manuel. What you posted has nothing to do with the quote you cited.
                    What was so special about Favre's first season starting (which was his 2nd in the league)? As for Young, he inherited a SB team that should have won the NFCCG the year before and gone to the SB. And Warner was an anomaly.
                    Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                    Those are the names I like to hear when comparing EJ to someone.

Makes me so excited.
                    I wasn't the one comparing him to them.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

I expected EJ to play better than he did in his rookie year. Can't completely blame him for his shortcomings but I do worry if he can fix them. I hope so. We're still waiting for Jim Kelly's replacement.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• jills
                        • Oct 2009

For every Warner, Favre and Young there are thousands who suck (like Manuel).

Comment

• Goobylal
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jills View Post
                          For every Warner, Favre and Young there are thousands who suck (like Manuel).
                          There are also thousands of armchair GMs who suck (like...).

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                            LMAO, YOU are preaching reading comprehension????????????????????????????????

Comment

• BB4ever
                              • Apr 2014

Looking the part and producing while plaing the part are 2 different things.

Comment

• feldspar
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jills View Post
                                For every Warner, Favre and Young there are thousands who suck
                                Sure thing, but thousands is probably overkill to make your obvious point.

There is some luck involved too. People forget that. People act like it's rocket science sometimes, but there is always varying amounts of risk and a whole lot that is unforeseeable with almost any draft prospect. Most teams are always looking for a better quarterback, and there's not many franchise guys out there. Gotta get lucky to be in position to grab a guy that will pan out...hopefully pan out. It's tough.

Comment

Working...
                                X