Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why Homers aren't True Fans

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Why Homers aren't True Fans

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have been on here for a number of years and have read OPiv comments for the duration of my time here and I can say the following:

1) In years past OP has been one of the most accurate predictors of the Bills team as a whole, individual players and the quality of the FO & Coaches.

2) Each year his comments get construed as being negative

3) He constantly gets critised for his views

4) He doesn't gloat when correct

5) Eventhough he is consistantly correct no one really gives credence to his past performance

6) By now Smart & Logical human being would have schmo lower this much

7) Obviously he is not negative. If he was 'negative' he would be just as wrong as most 'positive' folk.

Instead he is a realist. If there is water in a jug, he calls it water; unlike many homers who believe the water will magically be turned into wine.
    What YardRat said.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have been on here for a number of years and have read OPiv comments for the duration of my time here and I can say the following:

1) In years past OP has been one of the most accurate predictors of the Bills team as a whole, individual players and the quality of the FO & Coaches.

2) Each year his comments get construed as being negative

3) He constantly gets critised for his views

4) He doesn't gloat when correct

5) Eventhough he is consistantly correct no one really gives credence to his past performance

6) By now Smart & Logical human being would have schmo lower this much

7) Obviously he is not negative. If he was 'negative' he would be just as wrong as most 'positive' folk.

Instead he is a realist. If there is water in a jug, he calls it water; unlike many homers who believe the water will magically be turned into wine.
    Boy, that's quite a crush you have on Op. Unfortunately for you, I think he is married.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,300 Times in 13,730 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    The question I have is why PESSIMISTS like you Op don't get off the ride?

I guess pessimists on this board are also masochists.
    First, I'm not a pessimist. Look at the results on the field. Things are as I say they are far more often than not.

Second, real fans don't get off no matter how bad things get. Only bandwagon jumpers get off. Yeah, it's supposed to be entertainment. It's supposed to be fun. But, sometimes the cookout gets rained out, sometimes your friend gets drunk and ruins a night out, sometimes a tv show has a lousy episode and sometimes (most of the time) our team loses. That's life- deal with it.

People like you and Thurm think that you are entitled to enjoy something because you label it "fun" or "entertainment" but you're not. Things aren't always what they want them to be. And it's completely illogical to claim to be a fan who wants this team to win but still enjoy this utter crap fest we've been served the last 14 years or so.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Realists don't latch on to *****ing points and hang on with dear life despite evidence to the contrary. Realists don't act like petulant, whiny-ass little spoiled brats that insist they deserve something because they feel they are entitled to it, and getting screwed if they don't get it.
    wtf are you talking about?

Thanks
    Thanked 30,559 Times in 17,443 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    First, I'm not a pessimist. Look at the results on the field. Things are as I say they are far more often than not.

Second, real fans don't get off no matter how bad things get. Only bandwagon jumpers get off. Yeah, it's supposed to be entertainment. It's supposed to be fun. But, sometimes the cookout gets rained out, sometimes your friend gets drunk and ruins a night out, sometimes a tv show has a lousy episode and sometimes (most of the time) our team loses. That's life- deal with it.

People like you and Thurm think that you are entitled to enjoy something because you label it "fun" or "entertainment" but you're not. Things aren't always what they want them to be. And it's completely illogical to claim to be a fan who wants this team to win but still enjoy this utter crap fest we've been served the last 14 years or so.
    Wow, seriously? It's up to you to determine what other individual's label as 'fun' or 'entertainment'? Why do you feel you are entitled to make that judgement?

wtf are you talking about?
    You.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

7. Post thanked by:

better days (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wow, seriously? It's up to you to determine what other individual's label as 'fun' or 'entertainment'? Why do you feel you are entitled to make that judgement?

You.
    I never said they can't label it. They can label it whatever they want. However, they're not entitled to have something be a certain way simply because thats how they chose to label it.

And that doesn't describe me in the slightest.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,559 Times in 17,443 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, you really nailed it with that 4-12, 1-5 in the division prediction last season, didn't you Nostradumbass?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, you really nailed it with that 4-12, 1-5 in the division prediction last season, didn't you Nostradumbass?
    I was a mere 2 games off. First time in the history of this website that I've been more than one game off (and a couple times I guessed one more WIN than we actually had)

I never said I was always right. I said I'm right far more often than not.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Can't we just agree not to disagree and end this thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Zone Ranger View Post
    Can't we just agree not to disagree and end this thread.
    We can't, because the people that have enough insight to predict the status quo may want to hold themselves morally superior to people that prefer to have some measure of hope...or something like that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    We can't, because the people that have enough insight to predict the status quo may want to hold themselves morally superior to people that prefer to have some measure of hope...or something like that.
    Oh I get it, this becomes a don't worry be happy thread. The thread that never ends.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Zone Ranger View Post
    Oh I get it, this becomes a don't worry be happy thread. The thread that never ends.
    As long as there are self-righteous humps, the thread will never end.

I predict that the end of self-righteous humps is not coming any time soon, but the thread will die down about the time they've told us how right they've been about 10 times too many. Also, it takes a giant leap of faith and going out on tremendous limb to predict that the Bills suck. Amazing...I bet the realists have a crystal ball or something. It's uncanny.

They have a tremendous amount of balls, guts, integrity and honest that the rest of us lack. They are to be admired and are people that we should aspire to emulate, and they will not rest until the rest of us realize this...realize THIS, and we too can be realists.

I think their most redeeming quality is that they think that their "opponents" on the board are just so damn stupid...and what can be more noble than talking down to somebody constantly to teach them the truth, especially to the tune of SEVENTY-TWO THOUSAND posts? That takes a certain amount of commitment...so there is that.

I don't take a stand either way, but I figure true fans don't have the attitude towards other die-hard fans that these humps do. There is nothing else to it.

15. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (04-11-2014),The Zone Ranger (04-11-2014),YardRat (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,470 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

First, I'm not a pessimist .
    Now you're not being realistic.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

First, you are a pessimist. Second, Mike is wrong about you being an accurate predictor of individual players.

Remember last off season? You said the Bills were wrong to cut the "experienced" Donald Jones & David Nelson in favor of rookie WR's Robert Woods & Marquise Goodwin.

There is no question you were WRONG about that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

First, you are a pessimist. Second, Mike is wrong about you being an accurate predictor of individual players.

Remember last off season? You said the Bills were wrong to cut the "experienced" Donald Jones & Da,vid Nelson in favor of rookie WR's Robert Woods & Marquise Goodwin.

There is no question you were WRONG about that.
    First, no one said I was right every single time.

Second, there is absolutely a question about that. The team clearly was hurt by a lack of experience at WR last year, especially with a rookie QB. And while Woods showed flashes of being a good one, Goodwin wasn't exactly impressive. and I never said that Jones and Nelson were better. I simply said it was stupid to put a rookie QB in with Johnson, Graham and a bunch of rookies, and it was.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

First, no one said I was right every single time.

Second, there is absolutely a question about that. The team clearly was hurt by a lack of experience at WR last year, especially with a rookie QB. And while Woods showed flashes of being a good one, Goodwin wasn't exactly impressive. and I never said that Jones and Nelson were better. I simply said it was stupid to put a rookie QB in with Johnson, Graham and a bunch of rookies, and it was.
    You were WRONG about keeping Jones & Nelson.

Jones is out of football, did not play a down last year & Nelson was injured.

It was the absolutely correct thing to do to get rid of both of them.

And Woods had a very good Rookie year, while Goodwin showed flashes of the talent he has.

The team was hurt by lack of experience at WR last year because Stevie got injured, not because the Bills cut ties with Jones & Nelson.

As far as being a fan, I watch the Bills game by game. There will be good games & bad games, but for me even watching a bad game is more fun than anything else I can do.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You were WRONG about keeping Jones & Nelson.

Jones is out of football, did not play a down last year & Nelson was injured.

It was the absolutely correct thing to do to get rid of both of them.

And Woods had a very good Rookie year, while Goodwin showed flashes of the talent he has.

The team was hurt by lack of experience at WR last year because Stevie got injured, not because the Bills cut ties with Jones & Nelson.

As far as being a fan, I watch the Bills game by game. There will be good games & bad games, but for me even watching a bad game is more fun than anything else I can do.
    I was absolutely not wrong.

You are hung up on this false dichotomy of Jones and Nelson or rookies being our only options. They weren't.

Going into a season with a rookie QB and Stevie as the only experienced WR was stupid and it showed on the field.

And we had $18 MILLION in leftover cap space, so keeping one of them or signing another vet would not have kept us from getting Woods or Goodwin.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You are hung up on this false dichotomy of Jones and Nelson or rookies being our only options. They weren't.

Going into a season with a rookie QB and Stevie as the only experienced WR was stupid and it showed on the field.

And we had $18 MILLION in leftover cap space, so keeping one of them or signing another vet would not have kept us from getting Woods or Goodwin.
    This is why I'm pleased with what we've done if FA this off-season. Signing vets, even on the cheap, gives us depth potentially or even more. This is the way we should operate. I'm burn;t out with starting UDFA"s and rookies because we have no other option.

Good teams make players earn their jobs. And then they keep the runner up as quality depth.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You can not name any vet the Bills could have signed that would have been better than Woods or Goodwin.

You were absolutely wrong when you said the Bills should not have cut Jones & Nelson.

Jones had a heart condition, so he was out period. Nelson was injured & played very little. He is not as good as Goodwin let alone Woods.