• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike13
    • Aug 2005

Re: Buffalo range NEW OWNER

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
    Easter Dinner: Elk Wellington with grilled asparagus. Cuttin' those carbs so I can fit into my bikini this summer.
    Venison is damn tasty(is Elk technically venison though?)

And after looking it up Elk Wellington sounds delicious.

Comment

• pmoon6
      Legendary Zoner
      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Mike13 View Post
      Venison is damn tasty(is Elk technically venison though?)

And after looking it up Elk Wellington sounds delicious.
      Most big game is venison. Caribou, all deer varieties, pronghorn, moose, elk. Their meat is all similar, lean and red. Bear might not be, I'm not sure, because it's kind of fatty.

Comment

• pmoon6
        Legendary Zoner
        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by DANNY BATTEN POWER View Post
        Elk is too gamey. Lived in Boise, ID for a few months so I had my fair share of it and I'm not a fan

Comment

• The Popcorn
          Cincinatti > Buffalo
          • Jun 2009

Elk is too gamey. Lived in Boise, ID for a few months so I had my fair share of it and I'm not a fan

It is not for all people. I'm not a fan of the McDonalds kids meal either so....
          The Popcorn and Terrell Owens are coming to a town near you.

Comment

• pmoon6
            Legendary Zoner
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by The Popcorn View Post
            It is not for all people. I'm not a fan of the McDonalds kids meal either so....
            Depends on if it's commercially raised or wild. Taste depends mostly on what the animal eats. If it's wild, a lot depends on how it's handled. If you cut the stomach, intestine or bladder and the fluids go all over, the meat will be tainted and taste "gamey". It also won't taste good if it is not skinned and cooled ASAP. Elk are somewhat different than deer, they have a big voicebox and it's why they are able to bugle so loudly. You have to cut it out first or you chance having the bacteria infect the muscle. You also have to trim as much fat as possible. Excess game fat tastes like ****, unlike beef or pork fat. I butcher the game myself, so I know exactly how it was taken care of. When I make sausage or just grind burger, I use beef suet or salt pork to give it a little more flavor and moisture since you don't want to use the animals natural fat. Also, if you are cooking steaks, don't go over medium because it's so lean with little marble it will be tough. I don't ever go over medium rare.

Comment

• The Popcorn
              Cincinatti > Buffalo
              • Jun 2009

Depends on if it's commercially raised or wild. Taste depends mostly on what the animal eats. If it's wild, a lot depends on how it's handled. If you cut the stomach, intestine or bladder and the fluids go all over, the meat will be tainted and taste "gamey". It also won't taste good if it is not skinned and cooled ASAP. Elk are somewhat different than deer, they have a big voicebox and it's why they are able to bugle so loudly. You have to cut it out first or you chance having the bacteria infect the muscle. You also have to trim as much fat as possible. Excess game fat tastes like ****, unlike beef or pork fat. I butcher the game myself, so I know exactly how it was taken care of. When I make sausage or just grind burger, I use beef suet or salt pork to give it a little more flavor and moisture since you don't want to use the animals natural fat. Also, if you are cooking steaks, don't go over medium because it's so lean with little marble it will be tough. I don't ever go over medium rare.
              It's been several years since i've eaten elk and I loved it. Then again, my buddies old lady was a dynamite cook so she knew how to prepare it.
              The Popcorn and Terrell Owens are coming to a town near you.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                • May 2009

How did your dad get you out of the basement to go hunting with him?

Comment

• pmoon6
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
                  How did your dad get you out of the basement to go hunting with him?
                  Hand held video games?

Comment

• Swiper
                    • Sep 2010

HAPPY DYNGUS DAY!

Comment

• pmoon6
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                      HAPPY DYNGUS DAY!
                      HaHa. Now I will have a senior moment and go back in time to St. Stans' on da East side of Buffalo.

Off Broadway dare and where dat fresh Kielbasa?
                      Last edited by pmoon6; 04-21-2014, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                        Escaped Convict
                        • Jul 2002

HaHa. Now I will have a senior moment and go back in time to St. Stans' on da East side of Buffalo.

Off Broadway dare and where dat fresh Kielbasa?
                        T'row me down da stairs....my shoes!

Comment

• feldspar
                          • Mar 2007

You can tell what Anderson Cooper thinks of Dyngus Day about 1:40 in.

Comment

• bleve
                            • Mar 2005

Dyngus Day!
                            "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
                            ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• cookie G
                              • Mar 2003

Depends on if it's commercially raised or wild. Taste depends mostly on what the animal eats.
                              If it's wild, a lot depends on how it's handled. If you cut the stomach, intestine or bladder and the fluids go all over, the meat will be tainted and taste "gamey". It also won't taste good if it is not skinned and cooled ASAP. Elk are somewhat different than deer, they have a big voicebox and it's why they are able to bugle so loudly. You have to cut it out first or you chance having the bacteria infect the muscle. You also have to trim as much fat as possible. Excess game fat tastes like ****, unlike beef or pork fat. I butcher the game myself, so I know exactly how it was taken care of. When I make sausage or just grind burger, I use beef suet or salt pork to give it a little more flavor and moisture since you don't want to use the animals natural fat. Also, if you are cooking steaks, don't go over medium because it's so lean with little marble it will be tough. I don't ever go over medium rare.
                              Soak overnight in milk, preferably buttermilk, to take the "gameyness" out of it. Both work very well.

But...when I was researching how to prepare venison, I agree with what one person said. It isn't beef..if you want beef, buy beef. If it is something prepared in a slow cooker and it was soaked overnight, the difference is negligible.

Cooking a venison steak on the grill, to me, is like cooking round steak on the grill.. not enough there to keep it from drying out.

We have friends whose children won't eat hamburger, because they have basically been raised on ground venison as a substitute. They say hamburgers taste greasy.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                                • May 2009

Another betamale post from the forum's resident cuck
                                MDP

Comment

Working...
                                X