Also:

At Bats Ruth- 8398 ->Mays ->10881
    2B-506--------->Mays---->523
    3B-136--------->Mays --> 140
    HR-714--------->Mays ---- > 660
    BA-.342-------->Mays--->.302
    OBP-.474-----> Mays----> .384
    SLG-.690------>Mays---->.557

Notice the number of triples Ruth had. Only 4 less than Mays.

But the big thing to note is that any wind disadvantage encountered by Mays is more than offset by the significantly greater number of at bats he had, due in large part to the fact that Ruth was a Pitcher for the first few years of his career (and a great one).

Plus, Mays played 4 years in NY before the Giants moved.
    All due respect, you are talking about just hitting. Only one aspect of the game. I believe Mays won at least 10 Golden Gloves.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Re: Buffalo range NEW OWNER

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
      There's absolutely aero evidence to suggest that. This isn't football. We're not talking about Quarterbacks.

Are you suggesting that happens today? Because that's nonsense, and there is still roughly the same percentage of black pitchers.

If you think that's going on, you don't know jack **** about baseball.

Pitchers are gold. If you're from Mars and can snap off a splitter or throw gas, you're pitching.

What you and others are trying to do is make racist comments. You assume that because African Americans make better cornerbacks or shooting guards, that they naturally make better pitchers. Absolute nonsense.

Besides, pitching isn't about intelligence. It's about arm talent. Catchers call most pitches, and it's been that way forever. You simply pulled that out of your ass because it fits some asinine liberal narrative.
      Ah you're one of those type of people...I get it now.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• pmoon6
        Legendary Zoner
        • Dec 2002

I haven't followed MLB since the mid '80's when the Astros ownership wanted Nolan Ryan (who got a huge crowd at the Dome even on a Tuesday) to take a pay cut. That along with work stoppages and a dumb FA system with no cap. Today, it's just a matter of which team spends the most money. From my understanding, a baseball game is not a cheap ticket, as it was in the past. The NFL is going down that road, with accountants and negotiators being as important as who is Head Coach. My interest is waning and the only thing that keeps me around is I have followed the Bills for 50 years and have an emotional investment.

In general, pro sports have all taken a gigantic **** as far as your entertainment dollar.

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
          Ah you're one of those type of people...I get it now.
          What, pitcher or catcher?

Baseball seriously does bore the hell out of me, though. I find watching golf to be more worthwhile, and I'm not kidding. But that's just me.

Comment

• coastal
            Legendary Zoner
            • Mar 2005

"Slapshot" or "Field of Dreams"?

i win.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by upstart View Post
              How many black pitchers are in MLB today ?
              Not many black ones, but Japanese and South/Central American? Dozens.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                What, pitcher or catcher?

Baseball seriously does bore the hell out of me, though. I find watching golf to be more worthwhile, and I'm not kidding. But that's just me.
                Not a big fan either, though I do enjoy half price OF seats on Wednesday nights. Good excuse to leave work at 3 and drink in the OF.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• pmoon6
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                  Black kids generally don't take up baseball anymore. Basketball and football are seen as more lucrative and "cooler". The Japanese and Hispanic kids are steeped in the game. I believe in Cuba, baseball is like a religion.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                    Escaped Convict
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                    None of which has anything to do with the question of whether Babe Ruth and Willie Mays face the same level of pitching.

My point is that Ruth's numbers wouldn't have changed one bit had he faced Negro League pitchers, and that the whole "Ruth didn't have to play against black pitchers" conceit is absolute garbage.

Comment

• MidnightVoice
                      Retired (mostly)
                      • Mar 2003

I got an email from the range telling me that they had "heard" that I was trouble accessing the Range. So they reset my password for me. So I went over, and Lo and Behold! Most of the forums are private

I find them quite amusing over there.

But to play
                      that’s the thing
                      shut up and deal
                      ~ Jesse May

Comment

• Dude
                        that slimey ass of an admin at the zone
                        • Feb 2005

Hi Ryan!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                          None of which has anything to do with the question of whether Babe Ruth and Willie Mays face the same level of pitching.

My point is that Ruth's numbers wouldn't have changed one bit had he faced Negro League pitchers, and that the whole "Ruth didn't have to play against black pitchers" conceit is absolute garbage.
                          How about no black players at all?

Does that mean anything?
                          Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Mike13
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                            You're getting this confused with soccer.
                            I think Soccer is gaining popularity here in the US. Or maybe it just depends on where you live.

Comment

• pmoon6
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                              How about no black players at all?

Does that mean anything?
                              I don't think race has anything to do with it. Baseball is a learned skill, but to make the Majors you need some athletic ability. I don't think as much as football and even a chubby kid can play and play well in little league and even high school. Hand eye coordination and learning the proper swing are as important as size and speed.

What does matter is how motivated the individual is to excel. If a kid is poor, he wants to get out of it and one of the avenues is sports which is why you see stories of a lot of guys that are playing pro sports who had humble beginnings. I would venture to say that it's not about race, but socioeconomics.

Anybody that brings race into the subject of pro sports and thinks that black athletes are superior is a racist by definition.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                                Zero for Zero!
                                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
                                I don't think race has anything to do with it. Baseball is a learned skill, but to make the Majors you need some athletic ability. I don't think as much as football and even a chubby kid can play and play well in little league and even high school. Hand eye coordination and learning the proper swing are as important as size and speed.

What does matter is how motivated the individual is to excel. If a kid is poor, he wants to get out of it and one of the avenues is sports which is why you see stories of a lot of guys that are playing pro sports who had humble beginnings. I would venture to say that it's not about race, but socioeconomics.

Anybody that brings race into the subject of pro sports and thinks that black athletes are superior is a racist by definition.
                                regardless of any of that, MLB still excluded a number of players that excelled at their craft, like Paige.

It is not just that blacks are necessarily better - but that good and great players were not allowed to play
                                Originally posted by mysticsoto
                                Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

Working...
                                X