Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Charlie Casserly has 7 QBS in 2014 draft class ranked ahead of EJ Manuel

Thanks
    Thanked 30,559 Times in 17,443 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Charlie Casserly has 7 QBS in 2014 draft class ranked ahead of EJ Manuel

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    In some aspects of their game. Luck has more physical potential but I think Wilson's played better overall so far.
    Who is the better QB? You get to start your own team from scratch, and the option at QB is either Luck or Wilson...who do you choose?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In some aspects of their game. Luck has more physical potential but I think Wilson's played better overall so far.
    I find myself not knowing what to think, after year after year of tweaking rules in favor of passing. Wilson's shined, but Luck comes on board and bingo IND has back-to-back 11-5 seasons and 2 straight playoff appearances. I used to be able to watch college games and form some sort of opinion about QBs, but with all the spread offenses now - dunno. I see a big hulk like Bortles, or a Manzeil that runs around like a chicken with a bucket of boiling water flung at its' ass.

Last edited by stuckincincy; 04-19-2014 at 04:18 PM.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Who is the better QB? You get to start your own team from scratch, and the option at QB is either Luck or Wilson...who do you choose?
    Right now Wilson is the better QB, but as I said Luck has more physical potential. If I had to choose one I would take Luck, but that's looking forward.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    I find myself not knowing what to think, after year after year of tweaking rules in favor of passing. Wilson's shined, but Luck comes on board and bingo IND has back-to-back 11-5 seasons and 2 straight playoff appearances. I used to be able to watch college games and form some sort of opinion about QBs, but with all the spread offenses now - dunno. I see a big hulk like Bortles, or a Manzeil that runs around like a chicken with a bucket of boiling water flung at its' ass.

Luck does have the habit of pulling things out at the end of games. (The pun is there but I'm not taking the bait) I mean, it was practically a running gag this year to say "Look, Indy is down by double-digits at halftime, Luck has them right where he wants them."

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I wouldn't bother drafting a new qb, save a look-see in latter rounds. The rules are so biased, build the best OL you can. Your and wrs will get the judgement calls more times than not.

This league is so much about show biz these days.

5. Post thanked by:

YardRat (04-19-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Right now Wilson is the better QB, but as I said Luck has more physical potential. If I had to choose one I would take Luck, but that's looking forward.
    I think you'd take either, they both are pretty good.

Luck does have the habit of pulling things out at the end of games. (The pun is there but I'm not taking the bait) I mean, it was practically a running gag this year to say "Look, Indy is down by double-digits at halftime, Luck has them right where he wants them."
    Elway was like that as well. Reeves would play the game conservatively to keep it close, then give it to Elway late in the game to let him win it. If Elway wasn't handcuffed for the first part of his career with Reeves conservative style, he would have put up much better numbers.
    Last edited by GingerP; 04-19-2014 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    I wouldn't bother drafting a new qb, save a look-see in latter rounds. The rules are so biased, build the best OL you can. Your and wrs will get the judgement calls more times than not.

This league is so much about show biz these days.
    The league throws more today, but the basics of good QB play hasn't changed. The QB needs to read the defense, quickly identify where to throw it and deliver the ball accurately.

There are different ways to play QB, Wilson is successful his way. I don't think that has anything to do with rule changes. The fact is, he is efficient (career QB rating over 100), makes good decisions and is accurate. I think any team would take that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GingerP View Post
    The league throws more today, but the basics of good QB play hasn't changed. The QB needs to read the defense, quickly identify where to throw it and deliver the ball accurately.

There are different ways to play QB, Wilson is successful his way. I don't think that has anything to do with rule changes. The fact is, he is efficient (career QB rating over 100), makes good decisions and is accurate. I think any team would take that.
    Without his receiver getting touched, let alone mugged, after five yards. Without the receiver fearing the big hit. Without himself fearing getting racked, or hit in the legs, or hit in the head. With the ability to throw the ball away under pressure without penalty. With the benefit of offensive linemen being llowed to extend their arms, and open their hands, to pass protect. Eliminating 'chucking' receivers out of bounds and taking them out of the play.

Yeah, it's changed a lot.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,095 Times in 3,574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Give me Wilson's defense, Lynch, and almost any QB and I'll win a lot of games. And there's a lot more passing now because the rules favor the offense. It's why you can't compare QB's today to those of even 15 years ago.

10. Post thanked by:

alohabillsfan (04-20-2014),YardRat (04-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Give me Wilson's defense, Lynch, and almost any QB and I'll win a lot of games. And there's a lot more passing now because the rules favor the offense. It's why you can't compare QB's today to those of even 15 years ago.
    The Bills were 2nd in rushing yards in the NFL. They also had a top ten defense that played 100 plays more then Seattle. They were tied for 4th in the NFL in yards per play. Not too shabby. And still 6 wins. Why? The 28th passing attack in the NFL. Maybe the Bills didn't have quite as good of a defense as Seattle and maybe they don't have Lynch (they did and shipped him off), but the running game and defense are NOT why this team didn't make the playoffs. If they could have had, even, average QB play they might have.

12. Post thanked by:

alohabillsfan (04-20-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    The Bills were 2nd in rushing yards in the NFL. They also had a top ten defense that played 100 plays more then Seattle. They were tied for 4th in the NFL in yards per play. Not too shabby. And still 6 wins. Why? The 28th passing attack in the NFL. Maybe the Bills didn't have quite as good of a defense as Seattle and maybe they don't have Lynch (they did and shipped him off), but the running game and defense are NOT why this team didn't make the playoffs. If they could have had, even, average QB play they might have.
    The Bills might have been 2nd in rushing yards, but they were 14th in average. Granted Seattle was 12th, but give me a defense that allows just 14.4 PPG and creates loads of turnovers and I'll have a winning record every year.

And I agree on why the Bills didn't make the playoffs. Again had EJ not missed 6 games, or had Kolb been available for at least the first 2 of those 6 games, or if Lewis had been added to the team earlier, they likely go at least 8-8. But the Atlanta game was theirs and others came up short. And going 9-7 that way was all it would have taken for them to make the playoffs over the Chargers last year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Without his receiver getting touched, let alone mugged, after five yards. Without the receiver fearing the big hit. Without himself fearing getting racked, or hit in the legs, or hit in the head. With the ability to throw the ball away under pressure without penalty. With the benefit of offensive linemen being llowed to extend their arms, and open their hands, to pass protect. Eliminating 'chucking' receivers out of bounds and taking them out of the play.

Yeah, it's changed a lot.
    Never said the game hasn't changed, not sure how you got that.

I stated QB play on a basic level is the same. QBs come in different styles, do different things well. In the end, what it comes down to is identifying how to exploit the defense and getting the ball there accurately. You want a QB who makes good decisions. No matter how the game has changed, Wilson does that.

Wilson may not fit the "conventional" view of a QB, but his performance is what matters. He has been efficient and led his team. Trying to downplay his significance is silly. Lots of teams have had good defenses over the years, their QB haven't necessarily accomplished what Wilson has in his first 2 seasons.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I stated QB play on a basic level is the same. QBs come in different styles, do different things well. In the end, what it comes down to is identifying how to exploit the defense and getting the ball there accurately. You want a QB who makes good decisions. No matter how the game has changed, Wilson does that.

Wilson may not fit the "conventional" view of a QB, but his performance is what matters. He has been efficient and led his team. Trying to downplay his significance is silly. Lots of teams have had good defenses over the years, their QB haven't necessarily accomplished what Wilson has in his first 2 seasons.
    He accomplished most of what he did thanks to his defense, which has allowed an average of 15 PPG the past 2 years. He did little against the Saints and didn't need to do much against the Broncos. And against SF, in addition to his defense, he can also thank the refs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Again had EJ not missed 6 games, or had Kolb been available for at least the first 2 of those 6 games, or if Lewis had been added to the team earlier, they likely go at least 8-8. But the Atlanta game was theirs and others came up short. And going 9-7 that way was all it would have taken for them to make the playoffs over the Chargers last year.
    Your assuming that EJ or Kolb would have played better then Thad in the 5 game that Thad had started? Thad had a great game vs the Bengals in a tough loss, two win vs Miami and the NO and NE I think any QB on this team would have lost. Yes, the Atlanta loss hurt, but, as much as EJ crapping his pants vs TB.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    Your assuming that EJ or Kolb would have played better then Thad in the 5 game that Thad had started? Thad had a great game vs the Bengals in a tough loss, two win vs Miami and the NO and NE I think any QB on this team would have lost. Yes, the Atlanta loss hurt, but, as much as EJ crapping his pants vs TB.
    Huh? I'm saying EJ would have won the Browns game and the Chefs game, along with the Dols games. I think Thad could have won them as well. The Bengals and 2nd Pats games I can't say but I doubt he beats the Saints. As for the Bucs, the whole team crapped their pants.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The basic level has become much easier to perform, thanks to rule changes. I'm not down-playing Wilson's significance, but I'm not over-hyping it either...just looking at it with perspective.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Andrew Luck is already a top 5 NFL QB IMO with Rodgers, Manning, Brady, and Brees.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    You are just making stuff up now. Hardly anyone liked those moves.
    I wish I was. When Maybin was drafted a good portion of fans justified & supported the move. I even took bets that Orakpo would get more sacks as a rookie than Maybin would in his entire career!

If you don't want to believe it, try and go back to posts on this blogfrom than era. For 2 years posters like Yardrat & Better Days defended the moves, and wanted to be optomistic.

Go back to posts when those things happens & you will see for yourself.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    I am confused, you say Rothlisberger was great his first two years because he won a bunch of games and a super bowl, but Wilson wins a bunch of games and a super bowl his first two seasons and he is a product of rule changes? How come those rule changes have not worked for the Bills?
    How come those same rule chAnges didn't help other QBs win SB or help Big Ben win a few more? Surely if he was significantly better it would translate to even more wins

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I wish I was. When Maybin was drafted a good portion of fans justified & supported the move. I even took bets that Orakpo would get more sacks as a rookie than Maybin would in his entire career!

If you don't want to believe it, try and go back to posts on this blogfrom than era. For 2 years posters like Yardrat & Better Days defended the moves, and wanted to be optomistic.

Go back to posts when those things happens & you will see for yourself.
    Actually I wanted Oher or Orakpo, and probably the most 'defensive' I would have been was to state he deserved a chance to prove something before being completely dismissed, a stance I will take with most. I've taken quick hard opinions on players before, sometimes being right, sometimes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    How come those same rule chAnges didn't help other QBs win SB or help Big Ben win a few more? Surely if he was significantly better it would translate to even more wins
    Because it isn't all about the QB. Duhhhhh. Your only argument for 'nobody is better than Wilson his first two years...EVER!" was to quote his stat line, period. QB's as a group put up bigger numbers than they did prior to rules changes. Look at how many 5000 yard passers there were prior to the late 90's, and how many since. Yards per attempt, also. Attempts, completions, yards, TD's....all are up league wide. Double Duhhhh.