Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Casserly has 7 QBS in 2014 draft class ranked ahead of EJ Manuel

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Charlie Casserly has 7 QBS in 2014 draft class ranked ahead of EJ Manuel

I would actually argue that what the steelers did with Big Ben is what I think the Bills are trying to do with EJ.

Have a great defense and running game and ask your QB to manage the game while he develops.

Believe it or not this is what the Pats did when they won 3 super bowls under Brady. Brady got better and better every year and is what he is now.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    I would actually argue that what the steelers did with Big Ben is what I think the Bills are trying to do with EJ.

Have a great defense and running game and ask your QB to manage the game while he develops.

Believe it or not this is what the Pats did when they won 3 super bowls under Brady. Brady got better and better every year and is what he is now.
    The problem is, EJ is nowhere near as good as Big Ben, and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with Brady.

Roeth makes ridiculous throws while falling to the ground, sideways, upside down...

EJ can't even throw accurate screen passes with no defenders near him.

If the Bills staff is that stupid, we have irreparable problems.

3. Post thanked by:

Bills Juggernaut (04-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TedMock View Post
    So Gil Brandt said EJ Manuel would still be a first rounder this year and Charlie Casserly says he'd be the 8th QB drafted. So, who's opinion on QB's do you trust more? I guess that's what it comes down to. Both spent a long time working in the NFL.
    That's funny because he wasn't a sure first rounder last year.

5. Post thanked by:

sudzy (04-17-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Comparing 2013/2014 classes by position:

Top 2013 prospects: Geno Smith, West Virginia; EJ Manuel, Florida State; Mike Glennon, North Carolina State; Matt Barkley, USC; Ryan Nassib, Syracuse

Top 2014 prospects:
    Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M; Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville; Blake Bortles, UCF; Derek Carr, Fresno State; Tom Savage, Pittsburgh; Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois; Aaron Murray, Georgia; AJ McCarron, Alabama

Remember when Ryan Nassib was talked about as a potential top-10 pick? Those were fun times.

The 2013 class of quarterbacks was not very good, and the ignoble characterization is magnified when the group is juxtaposed against the fantastic 2012 class. Comparing last year's lot to this year's prospects isn't much better.

Geno Smith was the top quarterback in the 2013 class. Then draft season hit.

Smith fell all the way out of the first round and into the lap of the New York Jets, and he wound up being arguably the most successful rookie starter. Of course, the definition of "success" for last year's class was set low—the Pro Football Focus (subscription required) ratings for rookie quarterbacks are ugly, and Smith was actually the worst in that regard.
    Still, he started the most games and got the most wins.

This year's class is full of unknowns, but it's hard to believe only one quarterback will be taken in the first round, despite the polarization we have seen with the top prospects.

Teddy Bridgewater, in particular, seems to be in free fall. Size concerns and a disastrous pro day seem to have sunk his draft stock. But will teams ignore all the great tape?

Then there is Johnny Manziel, who could go with the top pick overall or fall out of the first two rounds depending on whom you're asking. He is on the Russell Wilson spectrum at under 6'0", but the dynamic quarterback is too good to fall too far, despite how he has been dissected during draft season.

Seemingly the only lock for a top pick at quarterback is Blake Bortles, who has prototypical combination of size and athleticism but needs more polish than his peers.

There are other intriguing options in this year's draft, too. It just seems so much better than last year's crop, though hindsight helps that assessment.

Verdict: 2014 class wins
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...parison/page/2
    Last edited by swiper; 04-17-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

QUARTERBACK

FLORIDA STATE

College Position: Quarterback
    School: Florida State
    Grade: Senior
    Height: 6-4
    Weight: 240
    Birthdate: 03-19-1990
    Draft Projection: Second
    Overall Rank: 35
    NFL Draft Position (Rank): Quarterback (3)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Um...

..."As a rookie, he went 13-0 in the regular season (14–1 including playoffs) as a starting quarterback, helping the Steelers become the first AFC team to have 15 wins (2–1 under Maddox [first two and last game], 13–0 under Roethlisberger) in a single regular season, surpassing former Steeler Mike Kruczek for the record for the best start by a rookie (6-0) and exceeding the mark for total wins as a rookie, set by Chris Chandler and Joe Ferguson. On January 5, 2005, Roethlisberger was unanimously selected as the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year by the Associated Press, the first quarterback in 34 years to be so honored."...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Roethlisberger

Then led PGH to a SB win in his 2nd season...

To summerise your argument, your saying that Big Ben started of better because he won more games?

This sounds like your entire argument. No mention for personal stats (Wilson's are better) pro bowls. (Wilson went to more) etc...

Is you argument Big Ben>Wilson because of games won?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    The problem is, EJ is nowhere near as good as Big Ben, and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with Brady.

Roeth makes ridiculous throws while falling to the ground, sideways, upside down...

EJ can't even throw accurate screen passes with no defenders near him.

If the Bills staff is that stupid, we have irreparable problems.

No doubt you cannot compare EJ in his current form to Tom and Big Ben in their current form. What I am saying is that the steelers and Pats were able to hide their inexperienced QBs behind great def and great running game and asking him not to do to much. Tom Brady and Big Ben worked their rears off and become very good in Bens case and top 3 all time in Brady's case.

Do I think EJ is a HOF more than likely not, but if he works his butt off and gets better and better he will eventually be like those guys and have to carry the team on his shoulders due to his contract if he earns it.

In the mean time the Bills are surrounding him with talent and hopefully he progresses.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,470 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would draft Tom Savage if he drops to 4th.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    No doubt you cannot compare EJ in his current form to Tom and Big Ben in their current form. What I am saying is that the steelers and Pats were able to hide their inexperienced QBs behind great def and great running game and asking him not to do to much. Tom Brady and Big Ben worked their rears off and become very good in Bens case and top 3 all time in Brady's case.

Do I think EJ is a HOF more than likely not, but if he works his butt off and gets better and better he will eventually be like those guys and have to carry the team on his shoulders due to his contract if he earns it.

In the mean time the Bills are surrounding him with talent and hopefully he progresses.
    I understand what you're saying, but the Steelers and Pats did with they did with their QBs because they could.

I don't think lack of work ethic is EJs problem. I like everything about EJ in the character department. I just don't think he has the natural mechanics or accuracy to be a consistent NFL QB. And that's not a work or desire issue. It's a talent issue.

I agree also that the Bills are acquiring some better players, I just think EJ is who he is, and that's not going to be good enough--ever.

I would have a plan B in full operation right now, if for no other reason than EJs knees. But there are plenty of other reasons.

12. Post thanked by:

BuffaloRedleg (04-18-2014),IlluminatusUIUC (04-19-2014),Mouldsie (04-17-2014),sudzy (04-19-2014),swiper (04-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Comparing 2013/2014 classes by position:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...parison/page/2
    It is too funny. So Bortles who needs more polish than EJ did/does is the only lock for a top pick yet the 2014 class wins?

And Mike Glennon had by far the best Rookie year last year. And I doubt anyone from this years class has a better Rookie year than Mike did.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but the Steelers and Pats did with they did with their QBs because they could.

I don't think lack of work ethic is EJs problem. I like everything about EJ in the character department. I just don't think he has the natural mechanics or accuracy to be a consistent NFL QB. And that's not a work or desire issue. It's a talent issue.

I agree also that the Bills are acquiring some better players, I just think EJ is who he is, and that's not going to be good enough--ever.

I would have a plan B in full operation right now, if for no other reason than EJs knees. But there are plenty of other reasons.
    I understand your position. I am not at the point you are with his accuracy or ability to be a consistent QB, but after this year I will have made a decision.

To be honest I am still in the undecided category.

I am not excited for the season and I am not expecting to be picking first or be terrible. I do know that if we are going to the playoffs it is because of EJ.

I never played QB so I am not sure if some of his issues can be fixed. Nate Hackett said that his issues were all footwork related and that his accuracy can improve, at this point I can only take his word for it as I honestly do not know.

Time will tell.

To be truthful though I would not be surprised if we are picking another QB next year. As much as I want EJ to succeed and see the natural arm talent and ability I am just inclined to think everything buffalo does will fail. 14 years of no playoffs and constant FO and coach changes will make any optimist a pessimist.

Pretty crappy that I started looking at top 10 talent for 2015 draft so I know what college games to watch this year.

15. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (04-18-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    I would draft Tom Savage if he drops to 4th.
    He might go in the 1st. There is talk of it anyway. He has visited 24-25 teams and had to turn down more visits because he didn't have time. The NFL has invited him to NY for the draft, which usually means you are going in the 1st (though he hasn't decided whether to attend or not).

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GingerP View Post
    He might go in the 1st. There is talk of it anyway. He has visited 24-25 teams and had to turn down more visits because he didn't have time. The NFL has invited him to NY for the draft, which usually means you are going in the 1st (though he hasn't decided whether to attend or not).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...p-second-round

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    It is too funny. So Bortles who needs more polish than EJ did/does is the only lock for a top pick yet the 2014 class wins?

And Mike Glennon had by far the best Rookie year last year. And I doubt anyone from this years class has a better Rookie year than Mike did.
    Yeah. Not going to defend someone else's opinion. I saw it and thought it was germane to this discussion so I posted it for discussion. That's all.

19. Post thanked by:

better days (04-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have actually gone pretty cold on the QBs this year. Id rather have an EJ with a year under his belt than one of these guys.

I will say that football draft-time makes me basically a woman on her worst period. Everything I knew was logic a week ago is now governed by emotion, raw passion and random fits of ultra-violence.

The one small part of my brain that still works says that we need to draft that Metterbergerski or Murrayish in the 4+ area if they are still around.
    Last edited by BuffaloRedleg; 04-18-2014 at 05:17 AM.

21. Post thanked by:

better days (04-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,470 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GingerP View Post

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    To summerise your argument, your saying that Big Ben started of better because he won more games?

This sounds like your entire argument. No mention for personal stats (Wilson's are better) pro bowls. (Wilson went to more) etc...

Mike - yes - I believe wins, playoff appearances, and winning a SB counts much more than stats and accolades. Who hasn't daydreamed about what-ifs, if BUF had landed Ben R in the '04 draft?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

24. Post thanked by:

better days (04-18-2014),YardRat (04-19-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Mike - yes - I believe wins, playoff appearances, and winning a SB counts much more than stats and accolades. Who hasn't daydreamed about what-ifs, if BUF had landed Ben R in the '04 draft?
    Yeah, Wilson really hasn't done anything in his first two years as far as wins, playoff appearances and SBs . . .

This is nuts. Both enjoyed phenominal success their first two years.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Yeah, Wilson really hasn't done anything in his first two years as far as wins, playoff appearances and SBs . . .

This is nuts. Both enjoyed phenominal success their first two years.
    It has been 10 years or so. Many a rule change, designed to make the cash register ring. Who can think a player like Wilson would have prospered back then, in 2004, when Roethlisberger was a rookie out of the gate?

Wilson is a product of rule changes.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

I think stats are way more important than wins or playoff appearances or dumb ol Super Bowls

Sincerely,

Tony Romo

28. Post thanked by:

YardRat (04-19-2014)