• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: New stadium rumors

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
    No, nobody from WNY that posts here has ever been to a Sabres or Bisons game. Ever.
    I have not been to the new Aud, but I went to the old aud MANY times for Sabres & Braves games. I have also been to some Bison games & love that Stadium.

But far less people go to watch the Sabres & Bisons than the Bills. Traffic would be totally different for the Bills than the Sabres or Bisons.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      I'd put it in Niagara Falls just because it would give a nice, big middle finger to Erie County.

If a new stadium is ever actually built, it will either be downtown or in Niagara Falls, and the bigger sweetheart deal wins.
      Well, MANY more people, especially people with money live in Erie County than Niagara County so Erie County can much better help pay for the Stadium than Niagara County.

The Falls is just a TERRIBLE idea.

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
        Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
        • Feb 2013

perfect spot for the stadium, Lancaster Gunville Rd and Genessee where Dunn Tire Raceway which used to be called Lancaster Speedway, I pass the raceway everyday when I go to work lots of land for tailgating and I know for a fact that Dunn Tire is losing money on the raceway and the Villiage of Lancaster doesn't want it. The NYS thruway runs right passed it and it's easy to get out of if you turn left you go to Genessee and then if you turn right you go to Transit Rd. If you stay on Genesee and cross transit you hit the airport. If you turn right you can either cross Wherle or go straight up to Main St. where Main hits Transit.

View Larger Map

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DetDannyWilliams View Post
          perfect spot for the stadium, Lancaster Gunville Rd and Genessee where Dunn Tire Raceway which used to be called Lancaster Speedway, I pass the raceway everyday when I go to work lots of land for tailgating and I know for a fact that Dunn Tire is losing money on the raceway and the Villiage of Lancaster doesn't want it. The NYS thruway runs right passed it and it's easy to get out of if you turn left you go to Genessee and then if you turn right you go to Transit Rd. If you stay on Genesee and cross transit you hit the airport. If you turn right you can either cross Wherle or go straight up to Main St. where Main hits Transit.

View Larger Map
          I used to go to Lancaster Speedway all the time. GOOD access & if Batavia stinks, I think this would be a GOOD location for the new Stadium.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post
            I have not been to the new Aud, but I went to the old aud MANY times for Sabres & Braves games. I have also been to some Bison games & love that Stadium.

But far less people go to watch the Sabres & Bisons than the Bills. Traffic would be totally different for the Bills than the Sabres or Bisons.
            Granted, but a hockey game in Buffalo is no different than a baseball game in Baltimore or DC.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Scumbag College
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
              I'd love to see a study regarding how many attendees at NFL games are there on day trips, vs how many stay overnight. My guess would be that it's upwards of 90%.

That's why I'd like to see the Bills go after the Central NY market. I'm thinking of Syracuse, in particular. A stadium in Batavia or Pembroke would shave about 2 hours, round trip, off of a commute for Syracuse ticket buyers. And it would sell a lot more Rochester tickets, I think.

I get why people want to see it Downtown, and I agree, mostly. But I always go back to the fact that RWS is used, by and large, for less than ten days a year. I'm not sure it would offset the difference in comparative property values between downtown and a more outlying area to have it there. Sure, you get ten good days for restaurants and bars, etc. But there are 355 other days in the year that it just sits.

I just have visions of total gridlock in my head with a Nia Falls stadium, especially. But a Buffalo stadium, too.

I don't know. All I care about is that it's within 40 miles of here.
              Being from Syracuse, I have been dissuaded to go to all but a few Bills games for the past decade or so due to the travel time. Leaving right after the game to Exit 50 on the Thruway is at least a two hour chore, and then it's another 2+ hours after traffic thins out around Rochester. I'm not saying that the stadium has to be as far east as Batavia, but moving the stadium to Niagara Falls would really alienate the Rochester/Syracuse fan base. And the idea of a downtown stadium in Buffalo is great in theory, but I would imagine it would be a huge undertaking.

I'm not an expert on the geography of Williamsville, Depew, and Pembrooke, but I think it would really go a long way to get people from Syracuse, Utica, and even Albany to come out to the games to build a stadium somewhere right off of Exit 48A to 50.

Other than SU's football team, which is only big to Syracuse students and anyone within city limits and the suburbs here, we don't really have much in the way of big time football in central NY. The Bills are still a pretty big deal around here, but making the games easier for us to get to and shaving at least two hours off of the ride home would get people really interested in buying up tickets and getting to the games live. I know there was the movement for the Bills to go "regional" with the move of TC to St. John's Fisher, but I don't think that went far enough.
              Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• Turf
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DetDannyWilliams View Post

View Larger Map
                Close enough for me. Expand the thruway to 3 lanes in the vicinity. It draws all of the region, and is easier for Rochester and Syracuse. Easy access for everyone. Close to Transit Rd. Win win.
                Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

Personally, I would be very happy with Batavia, but I can certainly see the arguments against it. Conversely, I would be far less happy with Niagara Falls, but I can see the arguments for it. In any case, by the time it's built, my days of going to football games in person (I don't make many of them as it is) will probably be over.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
                    Personally, I would be very happy with Batavia, but I can certainly see the arguments against it. Conversely, I would be far less happy with Niagara Falls, but I can see the arguments for it. In any case, by the time it's built, my days of going to football games in person (I don't make many of them as it is) will probably be over.
                    I don't think any good argument can be made for the Falls.

With the Stadium in Orchard Park, Canadians cross at both the Peace Bridge & Rainbow Bridge.

If the Stadium were in the Falls, only the Rainbow Bridge would be used & traffic would back up.

It could take longer for Canadians to get to the Stadium in the Falls than it does the Ralph.

And for anyone living outside of Niagara County MUCH LONGER to get to the Stadium.

And as I said before, Erie County has many more taxpayers to help support the Stadium than Niagara County does.

Comment

• more cowbell
                      • Apr 2006

Batavia would be a disaster. There's like 2 below average motels in that crap town and a Target...that's not going to bring people in to "Buffalo" to come for a game.

The point of building a new stadium is to maximize profits for the team and surrounding area. This is why downtown and the falls make sense.

Downtown: they're already making strides in revitalizing the city, and adding a professional football stadium/convention center would bring year round traffic to the downtown area...increasing property value and enticing more businesses to operate down there (hotels, restaurants, shops especially).

This method was used in Pittsburgh which was a complete $#it hole 20 years ago...and if anyone has been there recently, you've seen it's the complete opposite of that now. The same could be said for Cincinnati and hell, even Cleveland.

The Falls: All of the reasons I mentioned above apply here as well, but another interesting proposal would be hosting the Super Bowl (assuming there is a roof). The Falls are a great compromise/solution to the Canadian fan base as you literally cannot get any closer to Canada. Visitors would be able to view one of the "wonders of the world" and catch a game ...this would help the team but also BOTH sides of the Falls

Whatever keeps this team in WNY...get it done.
                      Last edited by more cowbell; 04-11-2014, 10:52 PM. Reason: Typo
                      The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by more cowbell View Post
                        Batavia would be a disaster. There's like 2 below average motels in that crap town and a Target...that's not going to bring people in to "Buffalo" to come for a game.

The point of building a new stadium is to maximize profits for the team and surrounding area. This is why downtown and the falls make sense.

Downtown: they're already making strides in revitalizing the city, and adding a professional football stadium/convention center would bring year round traffic to the downtown area...increasing property value and enticing more businesses to operate down there (hotels, restaurants, shops especially).

This method was used in Pittsburgh which was a complete $#it hole 20 years ago...and if anyone has been there recently, you've seen it's the complete opposite of that now. The same could be said for Cincinnati and hell, even Cleveland.

The Falls: All of the reasons I mentioned above apply here as well, but another interesting proposal would be hosting the Super Bowl (assuming there is a roof). The Falls are a great compromise/solution to the Canadian fan base as you literally cannot get any closer to Canada. Visitors would be able to view one of the "wonders of the world" and catch a game ...this would help the team but also BOTH sides of the Falls

Whatever keeps this team in WNY...get it done.
                        I have gone to a few games in Foxborough to see the Bills play the Pats*

Every time I went, I stayed in Boston, a great City to visit. But the trip from Boston to Foxborough is LONG.

Batavia is not that far from Rochester or Buffalo, especially the Suburbs of Buffalo, Lancaster & Depew which have a number of hotels/motels being near the Airport.

But the site of the old Lancaster Speedway would be a good place for the stadium as well.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                          Escaped Convict
                          • Jul 2002

None of the options being discussed would be a disaster.

A disaster would be a new stadium in Toronto or LA.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by Turf View Post
                            Pembroke. Been saying it for years. Dome. Sellouts for every game.
                            Batavia makes more sense because they have many more hotels. Pembroke has one ****ty motel.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Hmm...wouldn't Erie County demand that $400 million penalty if the Bills left the county?
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• YardRat
                                Well, lookie here...
                                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                                Hmm...wouldn't Erie County demand that $400 million penalty if the Bills left the county?
                                Maybe that was the motivation for the one-year buyout clause.
                                YardRat Wall of Fame
                                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                                X