• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: New stadium rumors

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
    it would be better for buffalo to get a downtown stadium and have the high speed trains bring you to the door as part of the buffalo billion project.

In the long run, it's better to have better transportation outside of driving. all these roads cost a lot and are inefficient manner of getting around. buffalo and NYS are thinking further ahead than 5 years. It has to be about spending tax money correctly to build a stadium, not simply to save a team.

a stadium downtown, with low tax zones to spur restaurants and shops, is way better for the region than having the ralph placed in another podunk outskirt and expecting people to drive everywhere. it's not very forward looking, in my opinion.
    For the Bills to remain viable, they have to be a regional team like the Pats* Batavia is a MUCH better place for the Stadium than the City of Buffalo for the entire region to get to it easily.

And Batavia is not as much a podunk outskirt as Foxborough Mass.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by don137 View Post
      Lots more revenue if it's downtown since people would go out to eat, drink, etc. Easier access for out of towners. Tailgating is not as fun.

Niagra Falls would make it easier for Canadians and could increase fan base and ticket sales as result.
      Niagara Falls would be MUCH harder to get to for most people on this side of the border & even Canadians might have just as difficult a time getting to the Falls as they do the Ralph because traffic would back up at the bridge.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

if you want the bills to be the team of hte next few years, build the stadium in a smaller suburb. if you want the bills to help buffalo, you put it downtown.

yes, you might have to go to a restaurant before the game or go to a bar. you are going with the same people. this is still buffalo. a bunch of snobs aren't going to descend on buffalo and screw the experience over. the sabres games and any events at FNC are pretty fun at pearl st grill.

buffalo's vibrancy needs more traffic flow and the more it's not about just getting back in your car and heading back, the better off the city is.

i really think batavia/pembroke is an old idea that will be a gigantic disservice for the area.

if you build a stadium that is multipurpose, includes the UB bulls games, possible convention center, it generates more people coming to downtown and creates a better community.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
          if you want the bills to be the team of hte next few years, build the stadium in a smaller suburb. if you want the bills to help buffalo, you put it downtown.

yes, you might have to go to a restaurant before the game or go to a bar. you are going with the same people. this is still buffalo. a bunch of snobs aren't going to descend on buffalo and screw the experience over. the sabres games and any events at FNC are pretty fun at pearl st grill.

buffalo's vibrancy needs more traffic flow and the more it's not about just getting back in your car and heading back, the better off the city is.

i really think batavia/pembroke is an old idea that will be a gigantic disservice for the area.

if you build a stadium that is multipurpose, includes the UB bulls games, possible convention center, it generates more people coming to downtown and creates a better community.
          The key here would be making it multipurpose. Even with 70k people, 10 home games a year isn't going to fix downtown. They really need to figure out how to get as much use as possible out of any potential downtown stadium.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• WagonCircler
            Escaped Convict
            • Jul 2002

I'd love to see a study regarding how many attendees at NFL games are there on day trips, vs how many stay overnight. My guess would be that it's upwards of 90%.

That's why I'd like to see the Bills go after the Central NY market. I'm thinking of Syracuse, in particular. A stadium in Batavia or Pembroke would shave about 2 hours, round trip, off of a commute for Syracuse ticket buyers. And it would sell a lot more Rochester tickets, I think.

I get why people want to see it Downtown, and I agree, mostly. But I always go back to the fact that RWS is used, by and large, for less than ten days a year. I'm not sure it would offset the difference in comparative property values between downtown and a more outlying area to have it there. Sure, you get ten good days for restaurants and bars, etc. But there are 355 other days in the year that it just sits.

I just have visions of total gridlock in my head with a Nia Falls stadium, especially. But a Buffalo stadium, too.

I don't know. All I care about is that it's within 40 miles of here.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
              For the Bills to remain viable, they have to be a regional team like the Pats* Batavia is a MUCH better place for the Stadium than the City of Buffalo for the entire region to get to it easily.

And Batavia is not as much a podunk outskirt as Foxborough Mass.

IMO even though I live in Rochacha I would rather travel to Niagara and see the sights and hang out there than go to batavia . I'm not talking about the canadian ballet either. I am guessing that out of state fans would rather go to Niagara with their families as well.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                I'd love to see a study regarding how many attendees at NFL games are there on day trips, vs how many stay overnight. My guess would be that it's upwards of 90%.
                I would like to see the study too. If you were a bills fan that live in Chicago, would you rather watch a bills game in Miami or in Greenbay? I know it's not quite the same comparison as Batavia vs Niagara but still. Although cow tipping in Batavia could be fun.
                sacrifice1

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                  IMO even though I live in Rochacha I would rather travel to Niagara and see the sights and hang out there than go to batavia . I'm not talking about the canadian ballet either. I am guessing that out of state fans would rather go to Niagara with their families as well.
                  Have you ever gone to the American side of the Falls?

It is a CRAP HOLE & VERY DIFFICULT & time consuming to get to & that is without 70,000 other people going to the same place at the same time there.

I dated a girl from the Falls for about 6 Months. I broke up with her because I HATED the trip to her house & back.

I decided I did not love her more than I hated that trip.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                    Have you ever gone to the American side of the Falls?

It is a CRAP HOLE & VERY DIFFICULT & time consuming to get to & that is without 70,000 other people going to the same place at the same time there.

I dated a girl from the Falls for about 6 Months. I broke up with her because I HATED the trip to her house & back.

I decided I did not love her more than I hated that trip.
                    I live in Rochester so batavia is closer but I would go overnight to watch a game in Niagara. It's a craphole now but if a stadium is built in the area could have more tourists which would improve the area . Less traffic in batavia but stinks like manure. It's like being in Amish country.
                    Last edited by justasportsfan; 04-11-2014, 03:24 PM.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• CoolBreeze
                      • Feb 2009

For some reason building a stadium in Niagara Falls to benefit Canadian fans sort of irks me. I'm sure they have some great loyal fans, and nothing against them. But just the thought of more than a 1/3 of the stadium wearing the other teams color and cheering whenever there's a TD for either team is enough to make one lose sleep. I could be very wrong though, thats just the impression I got from the Toronto games.

I like the idea of a downtown stadium. Though traffic, and crime problems will become more common. and as many have said tailgating will never be the same. But It will benefit the city itself, and not only for economic growth. Having a top notch stadium in a smaller working ciass city would be a huge morale boost for the region and it's people. A big F U to the likes of Dallas and New York. I really liked the high speed train idea that trapezeus had. That would be very cool.

Batavia would be a long shot IMO. Most of it is very rundown, and if you've been there on a busy day or during rush hour you already know its god awful traffic. And that is with no stadium, I can't imagine traffic with a stadium. Batavia is a nice enough place to be, and there is room for it. I just don't see it happening. Living south of Rochester it'd be nice to have the Bills so close.

My gut tells me I don't care, just put the new stadium wherever it is that keeps them in Buffalo the longest.

Comment

• Swiper
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2010

I haven't been to the area in awhile, but aren't those bridges to Canada a nightmare now even during so-called "off" hours?

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by CoolBreeze View Post
                          For some reason building a stadium in Niagara Falls to benefit Canadian fans sort of irks me. I'm sure they have some great loyal fans, and nothing against them. But just the thought of more than a 1/3 of the stadium wearing the other teams color and cheering whenever there's a TD for either team is enough to make one lose sleep. I could be very wrong though, thats just the impression I got from the Toronto games.

I like the idea of a downtown stadium. Though traffic, and crime problems will become more common. and as many have said tailgating will never be the same. But It will benefit the city itself, and not only for economic growth. Having a top notch stadium in a smaller working ciass city would be a huge morale boost for the region and it's people. A big F U to the likes of Dallas and New York. I really liked the high speed train idea that trapezeus had. That would be very cool.

Batavia would be a long shot IMO. Most of it is very rundown, and if you've been there on a busy day or during rush hour you already know its god awful traffic. And that is with no stadium, I can't imagine traffic with a stadium. Batavia is a nice enough place to be, and there is room for it. I just don't see it happening. Living south of Rochester it'd be nice to have the Bills so close.

My gut tells me I don't care, just put the new stadium wherever it is that keeps them in Buffalo the longest.
                          I think Batavia or where the Stadium is now are better locations than the Falls or Downtown for the Bills to survive long term.

Orchard Park is EASY to get to even for Canadians, so it takes them an extra 20 minutes.

It is still a shorter ride than to MANY Stadiums. Have any of you gone from Boston to Foxborough? Now that is a LONG BORING ride.

The Idea of mass transit to downtown is great, but it would cost a fortune. And that would be in addition to the cost of the Stadium.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                            Escaped Convict
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                            I would like to see the study too. If you were a bills fan that live in Chicago, would you rather watch a bills game in Miami or in Greenbay? I know it's not quite the same comparison as Batavia vs Niagara but still. Although cow tipping in Batavia could be fun.
                            I lived in Chicago for 8 years. I went to many Bears games, and even a couple Bills/Bears games. And a Bills Packers game in Milwaukee County Stadium.

In all cases, my biggest concern was not getting stuck in traffic. If the stadium had been in Schaumburg or Palatine or Rolling Meadows, where the Arlington Park racetrack was, I'd have been thrilled.

I get that some people are tourists who go to Bills games. I just think they're in the minority. I think 90% go to tailgate and to watch football, and the faster they can GTFO, the better.

It's one of the things I love about the Ralph. I have my same shortcuts, Brompton to McKinley Pkwy, to Lake Ave, to the Skyway. BOOM. Keep me movin'. Watch the police and the tax man miss me.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                              Those of you clamoring for a downtown stadium: have you ever actually been to a sporting event at a downtown stadium before?
                              No, nobody from WNY that posts here has ever been to a Sabres or Bisons game. Ever.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
                                Well, lookie here...
                                • Dec 2004

I'd put it in Niagara Falls just because it would give a nice, big middle finger to Erie County.

If a new stadium is ever actually built, it will either be downtown or in Niagara Falls, and the bigger sweetheart deal wins.
                                YardRat Wall of Fame
                                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                                X