• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: New stadium rumors

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
    better days, the whole point of having the state put money behind the team is because there is this idea that the team helps the area regionally. As such, you should have a stadium that spurs growth. if buffalo as a city is improving as it has the last 5 years, a stadium with 10 games a year, plus a multi purpose building for additional events should be seen positively.

restaurants should look to come out there. and if they are bar pubs, to alleviate traffic, people could watch the 4pm game at a few bars, a few shops could be open around that area. and as those places make money, more things come up as a result of it.

To me it's absolutely a no brainer to have the bills be downtown. most of america is returning to their cities and the cities are accomodating that. buffalo should be part of that. they shouldn't be talking about batavia, a complete waste land. This pedantic conversation that it's a city because it has a mall is ridiculous.
    "Most of America is returning to cities" seems a stretch. Where I live, black and white folks alike are running away from ever-increasing rates of black violence. It's a sad, sad fact, a consequence of the welfare state. And lately, hispanic violence. And it's hard to not think that in a city like Buffalo, so one-party, the "ins" would have a field day of extorting bribes and kickbacks.

If I had the $ to buy a team, the last thing I'd care to do would have to fork over assets to that nest of vipers.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
      Are you saying that FANS don't go to restaurants when they go to the stadium or wouldn't if there was anything to choose from in OP except for Big Tree Inn?

I am saying the VAST MAJORITY of fans would prefer to tailgate even if there were good restaurants in the area.

Really? You have stats on that? The vast majority tailgate? Allow me to be skeptical.

No I don't have stats, but I have been to MANY Bills games. How about you?

And how many of those tailgaters, that hallowed crowd of Bills fans we elevate above the rest, those storied thousands who brave the driving snow to drink cold beer from a solo cup, how many of them would prefer to go to a nice restaurant and have a nice time without a bunch of drunk jackalopes throwing footballs at their heads, pissing on cars, and tossing trash everywhere. In OP, there is not much choice even after 40 years after the Rich was built. In Batavia, same story, different podunk town.

I already said, even if offered a choice of nice restaurants, the majority of fans would prefer to tailgate. And a beautiful Restaurant open 364 days a year could be part of the new Stadium for those that prefer a restaurant over tailgating.

Jesus haploid christ, it's hard enough for Buffalo to present a positive image. But you want people to come to the biggest attraction, or at least one of the biggest attractions, that Buffalo has and have them schlep around Batavia? Sorry. Not me. I want Buffalo to get better. I want the city revitalized.

I have said before putting the Stadium in the City would help the City of Buffalo, but it would not be the best thing for the Bills or Fans of the Bills.

Or just have the BUFFALO Bills and possibly BUFFALO Bulls be where it belongs. In Buffalo. And leave Batavia to harness racing, the lowest rung in sports entertainment.

That would be great if Buffalo had a large enough population to support the Bills, but it doesn't.

For the Bills to remain a viable NFL team, it has to draw on fans from all over Western New York to & including Syracuse in Central NY as well as Canada.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
        • May 2009

Population-wise, Cheektawarsaw is about six times bigger. Batavia's population is 15k. That's no city.
        Contrary to what you think you know. Batavia is a city.

Comment

• gebobs
          One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
          Contrary to what you think you know. Batavia is a city.
          I was saying that more in a derogatory sense, sort of like this guy was telling the other fellow that his knife wasn't a knife.

And technicalities aside, I stand by my statement. That's no city. I wouldn't even consider Cheektowarsaw to be a city.
          Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• gebobs
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
            I am saying the VAST MAJORITY of fans would prefer to tailgate even if there were good restaurants in the area.
            I doubt it. Many maybe, but the "vast majority"? I don't even think the vast majority tailgate now.
            No I don't have stats, but I have been to MANY Bills games. How about you?
            Sure have. Been going since '66.
            That would be great if Buffalo had a large enough population to support the Bills, but it doesn't.
            What do you mean? They have enough fans to fill the stadium now.

For the Bills to remain a viable NFL team, it has to draw on fans from all over Western New York to & including Syracuse in Central NY as well as Canada.
            And Batavia is going to do that better than Buffalo how? Because it's 45 minutes closer to Syracuse? But it's also 45 minutes further from Niagara Falls, St. Catherines, Hamilton, Toronto, Jamestown, and Erie. Yes, I'm aware that most Erie folks are Steelers fans, but that wasn't the case 20 years ago when the Bills could compete regionally with other teams. Heck, I even see Ohio plates at games.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

I doubt it. Many maybe, but the "vast majority"? I don't even think the vast majority tailgate now.

Sure have. Been going since '66.

What do you mean? They have enough fans to fill the stadium now.

And Batavia is going to do that better than Buffalo how? Because it's 45 minutes closer to Syracuse? But it's also 45 minutes further from Niagara Falls, St. Catherines, Hamilton, Toronto, Jamestown, and Erie. Yes, I'm aware that most Erie folks are Steelers fans, but that wasn't the case 20 years ago when the Bills could compete regionally with other teams. Heck, I even see Ohio plates at games.
              The vast majority of fans tailgate now & will in the future as long as it is available.

The majority of fans that fill the Stadium do not live in the City of Buffalo.

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                "Most of America is returning to cities" seems a stretch. Where I live, black and white folks alike are running away from ever-increasing rates of black violence. It's a sad, sad fact, a consequence of the welfare state. And lately, hispanic violence. And it's hard to not think that in a city like Buffalo, so one-party, the "ins" would have a field day of extorting bribes and kickbacks.

If I had the $ to buy a team, the last thing I'd care to do would have to fork over assets to that nest of vipers.
                Nice to make this blatantly racist. "only blacks and hispanics are committing crimes." When the facts are violent crimes are down 44% from the late 70's.

Urbanization is up after years of people leaving. There is an idea that years of creating 100's of suburbs creates an impossibly expensive infrastructure issue. Leaving cities in decay isn't the long term goal for most municipalities.

Comment

• gebobs
                  • Sep 2003

The vast majority of fans tailgate now & will in the future as long as it is available.
                  You can repeat it until the cows come home, but once again, I doubt it. At any rate, who cares? If the stadium is in Buffalo, they can still tailgate. You seem to want to to broaden the appeal on one hand and then limit it on the other to just tailgaters.

The majority of fans that fill the Stadium do not live in the City of Buffalo.
                  So what? The majority of the fans live closer to Buffalo than Batavia. If you want to appeal to a region by building the stadium in Batavia, you're going to have to build your case. How is building in Batavia going to broaden the regional appeal? As far as I can tell, this is just to appeal to Syracuse and Rochester at the expense of the Canadian and Souther Tier fan bases.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

You can repeat it until the cows come home, but once again, I doubt it. At any rate, who cares? If the stadium is in Buffalo, they can still tailgate. You seem to want to to broaden the appeal on one hand and then limit it on the other to just tailgaters.

So what? The majority of the fans live closer to Buffalo than Batavia. If you want to appeal to a region by building the stadium in Batavia, you're going to have to build your case. How is building in Batavia going to broaden the regional appeal? As far as I can tell, this is just to appeal to Syracuse and Rochester at the expense of the Canadian and Souther Tier fan bases.
                    I doubt it would take Canadians any longer to get to Batavia than it does to Orchard Park.

I don't have stats, but I have never heard Russ say anything about the Southern tier so I think MANY more Bills fans are located from Rochester to Syracuse than in the Southern tier.

As far as tailgating goes, it does not matter what you think. I think few people would be jazzed about the idea of spending more money at a restaurant rather than tailgating myself.

Comment

• gebobs
                      • Sep 2003

I doubt it would take Canadians any longer to get to Batavia than it does to Orchard Park.
                      Who's talking about OP? We're talking about a new stadium. Barring traffic and bridges, it takes 2 hours to get from Hamilton to Batavia, 1:15 to Buffalo, 1:30 to OP.

For Syracuse, those times are 1:45, 2:15, 2:25. Big whoop.

I don't have stats, but I have never heard Russ say anything about the Southern tier so I think MANY more Bills fans are located from Rochester to Syracuse than in the Southern tier.
                      I said "at the expense of the Canadian and Southern Tier fan bases". What's so great about Syracuse? Hamilton is twice the size and half as far.

As far as tailgating goes, it does not matter what you think. I think few people would be jazzed about the idea of spending more money at a restaurant rather than tailgating myself.
                      Let's just say it's your opinion that "few people" would disagree with you ok?

Why do you insist only on catering to people that share your idea of the perfect Bills game? If you want to broaden the appeal to the region, why not broaden it to include those people that don't mind spending money at a restaurant instead of swilling beer outside? What about the people that would be so willing to invest the time to travel hundreds of miles to see the game that would just as soon not spend several hours out in the elements? Why are you so intent on limiting the experience to just those folks that are like minded with you?
                      Last edited by gebobs; 04-16-2014, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                        • May 2009

The western new york buffalo bills. I like it. I don't care where they move as long as they remain in western new york.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                          Escaped Convict
                          • Jul 2002

The more I read in this thread, the more I like the Outer Harbor.

Close to Downton (seriously, who's kidding who here? It IS Downtown) for hotels and restaurants? check.

Plenty of room for parking and tailgating? check.

Added benefit of getting some much needed infrastructure done that benefits taxpayers year round? check.

Doesn't push anyone out, no need to buy up/raze residences or businesses.

I really fail to see much of a downside. People who want to tailgate can tailgate. People who want to stay overnight can stay overnight.

I think it would even be reasonably easy to extend the Metro Rail or build a pedestrian bridge from the current terminus.

If there's one part of Buffalo that's growing, it's the harbor. This would add some momentum to that.

But like I've said in pretty much every post, I'm cool with anything within 45 miles of Downtown. Because it means the Bills will be here for pretty much the rest of my life.

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

i think the pond hockey tourney's etc during the weekend of a home bills game would put a lot of bodies downtown. There is just a lot of growth aside from the bills if done downtown. anywhere else (aside from niagara falls), the benefits are very limited and only in the interests of the owners of the bills. that's not a fair deal for tax payers.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                              What's going on in Orchard Park? What was going on there 40 years ago?

And let's be frankly honest here, nothing is going on in downtown Buffalo either.
                              Again why are we talking about something done 40 years ago I don't know why they built it there but it is 10 minutes from buffalo at least.

Buffalo is a freaking metropolis compared to cow town batavia lets be real

Sorry those of you from batavia. It is what it is. I like batavia actually but there is zero chance they would build the stadium there. Who would fund it?

Can this thread be closed already?

Comment

• Mouldsie
                                • Aug 2012

I think it is a STUPID idea for the Bills & UB to share practice facilities.

They would be stepping on each others toes.

Name me one NFL team & university that do that.

Why?

How?

There are none, but there are teams that practice in different areas than their stadium FWIW

Comment

Working...
                                X