Power to Give Rep

New stadium rumors

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/.../Bills-Future/

Let Western New Yorkers decide not a bunch of politicians

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: New stadium rumors

I'm so glad the article mentions Batavia. I've been screaming for that for 10 years.

Buy Batavia Downs. Raze it. Build Ralph II. Better yet, Rich II. Or Pegula Stadium.

It's prefect. Easily accessible from the NYS Thruway. Rochester and Syracuse are far more interesting markets to cultivate than Canada, IMO.

Raise the speed limit to 75 mph, done and done.

3. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (04-12-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I'm so glad the article mentions Batavia. I've been screaming for that for 10 years.

Buy Batavia Downs. Raze it. Build Ralph II. Better yet, Rich II. Or Pegula Stadium.

It's prefect. Easily accessible from the NYS Thruway. Rochester and Syracuse are far more interesting markets to cultivate than Canada, IMO.

it would be better for buffalo to get a downtown stadium and have the high speed trains bring you to the door as part of the buffalo billion project.

In the long run, it's better to have better transportation outside of driving. all these roads cost a lot and are inefficient manner of getting around. buffalo and NYS are thinking further ahead than 5 years. It has to be about spending tax money correctly to build a stadium, not simply to save a team.

a stadium downtown, with low tax zones to spur restaurants and shops, is way better for the region than having the ralph placed in another podunk outskirt and expecting people to drive everywhere. it's not very forward looking, in my opinion.

5. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (04-12-2014),CoolBreeze (04-11-2014),Don't Panic (04-13-2014),Novacane (04-11-2014),The last buffalo fan (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

meh. People won't be flying in to go hang out in cowpile country. Downtown buffalo would be ideal but I'm okay with niagara. People would want to fly in with their family for the weekend and see the falls +++ .
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 04-11-2014 at 11:56 AM.

7. Post thanked by:

Meathead (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,356 Times in 7,251 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I agree. They'd have to build a ton of infrastructure to make Batavia accessible for 70000 people. Downtown Buffalo is the where the stadium should be.

clumping platelets

Buying a house in OP near 20A and the 219......keep it in OP

10. Post thanked by:

coastal (04-12-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    I agree. They'd have to build a ton of infrastructure to make Batavia accessible for 70000 people. Downtown Buffalo is the where the stadium should be.

I disagree on the infrastructure, but agree somewhat on the Downtown Buffalo part.

I go back and forth on what my #1 choice is, but for now:

1a. Orchard Park- A total rebuild, in stages, on the current site, with a retractible roof.
    1b. Bethlehem Steel site/Outer Harbor- Brownfields funds available to clean up, plenty of land. Would hopefully spur some adjacent development. Kills two birds with one stone.

2. Batavia- As I stated above, the infrastructure is already there. Batavia Downs site is right on the Thruway. There are already motels and more room for more. Nobody coming to podunk town? What is Orchard Park? Paris?
    3. Niagara Falls- I'm fine with it, but I think the infrastructure needed would be a nightmare. It's already an epic clusterf... I can't imagine what it would take to make a stadium work.

The only reason I brought up Batavia in the thread is that it's a very viable option that nobody ever talks about.

12. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Canadians will say that Batavia is too far for them to travel to.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    The Canadians will say that Batavia is too far for them to travel to.
    Part of my sinister plan to keep their annoying drunk, arrogant asses on their own side of the border.

15. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (04-12-2014),Generalissimus Gibby (04-14-2014)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,071 Times in 15,284 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

On top of that Blahtavia is a dump...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I disagree on the infrastructure, but agree somewhat on the Downtown Buffalo part.

I go back and forth on what my #1 choice is, but for now:

1a. Orchard Park- A total rebuild, in stages, on the current site, with a retractible roof.
    1b. Bethlehem Steel site/Outer Harbor- Brownfields funds available to clean up, plenty of land. Would hopefully spur some adjacent development. Kills two birds with one stone.

2. Batavia- As I stated above, the infrastructure is already there. Batavia Downs site is right on the Thruway. There are already motels and more room for more. Nobody coming to podunk town? What is Orchard Park? Paris?
    3. Niagara Falls- I'm fine with it, but I think the infrastructure needed would be a nightmare. It's already an epic clusterf... I can't imagine what it would take to make a stadium work.

The only reason I brought up Batavia in the thread is that it's a very viable option that nobody ever talks about.
    that was my point on Podunk. is that we've already done this mistake and buffalo, the city paid for that dearly. The future for cities is building in it, not making it accessible to get to their suburbs.

buffalo is making the right moves of late. keep it going and build in the city or in niagara falls.

18. Post thanked by:

don137 (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Those of you clamoring for a downtown stadium: have you ever actually been to a sporting event at a downtown stadium before?

I've been to baseball and football games in DC and Baltimore plenty of times.

Advantages: stuff to do before and after the game.

Disadvantages: pretty much everything else. Parking and public transportation are both woefully insufficient. Traffic is terrible. There is no tailgating culture because the only people who can afford the lots close to the stadium aren't exactly the typical tailgating type. And pregaming at a bar is much more expensive than tailgating.

20. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Pembroke. Been saying it for years. Dome. Sellouts for every game.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

22. Post thanked by:

Scumbag College (04-11-2014),WagonCircler (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Just go with the falls. Plenty of land and crappy adjacent housing that could be purchased and the mafia there is very greasable... more so than the NFTA.

Any word on the Summit Park Mall site Plenty of land and parking from what I remember unless that got all built up prior to the mall tanking
    Last edited by sukie; 04-11-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Lots more revenue if it's downtown since people would go out to eat, drink, etc. Easier access for out of towners. Tailgating is not as fun.

Niagra Falls would make it easier for Canadians and could increase fan base and ticket sales as result.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    it would be better for buffalo to get a downtown stadium and have the high speed trains bring you to the door as part of the buffalo billion project.

In the long run, it's better to have better transportation outside of driving. all these roads cost a lot and are inefficient manner of getting around. buffalo and NYS are thinking further ahead than 5 years. It has to be about spending tax money correctly to build a stadium, not simply to save a team.

a stadium downtown, with low tax zones to spur restaurants and shops, is way better for the region than having the ralph placed in another podunk outskirt and expecting people to drive everywhere. it's not very forward looking, in my opinion.
    For the Bills to remain viable, they have to be a regional team like the Pats* Batavia is a MUCH better place for the Stadium than the City of Buffalo for the entire region to get to it easily.

And Batavia is not as much a podunk outskirt as Foxborough Mass.

26. Post thanked by:

sam5767 (04-12-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by don137 View Post
    Lots more revenue if it's downtown since people would go out to eat, drink, etc. Easier access for out of towners. Tailgating is not as fun.

Niagra Falls would make it easier for Canadians and could increase fan base and ticket sales as result.
    Niagara Falls would be MUCH harder to get to for most people on this side of the border & even Canadians might have just as difficult a time getting to the Falls as they do the Ralph because traffic would back up at the bridge.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

if you want the bills to be the team of hte next few years, build the stadium in a smaller suburb. if you want the bills to help buffalo, you put it downtown.

yes, you might have to go to a restaurant before the game or go to a bar. you are going with the same people. this is still buffalo. a bunch of snobs aren't going to descend on buffalo and screw the experience over. the sabres games and any events at FNC are pretty fun at pearl st grill.

buffalo's vibrancy needs more traffic flow and the more it's not about just getting back in your car and heading back, the better off the city is.

i really think batavia/pembroke is an old idea that will be a gigantic disservice for the area.

if you build a stadium that is multipurpose, includes the UB bulls games, possible convention center, it generates more people coming to downtown and creates a better community.

29. Post thanked by:

gebobs (04-14-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    if you want the bills to be the team of hte next few years, build the stadium in a smaller suburb. if you want the bills to help buffalo, you put it downtown.

yes, you might have to go to a restaurant before the game or go to a bar. you are going with the same people. this is still buffalo. a bunch of snobs aren't going to descend on buffalo and screw the experience over. the sabres games and any events at FNC are pretty fun at pearl st grill.

buffalo's vibrancy needs more traffic flow and the more it's not about just getting back in your car and heading back, the better off the city is.

i really think batavia/pembroke is an old idea that will be a gigantic disservice for the area.

if you build a stadium that is multipurpose, includes the UB bulls games, possible convention center, it generates more people coming to downtown and creates a better community.
    The key here would be making it multipurpose. Even with 70k people, 10 home games a year isn't going to fix downtown. They really need to figure out how to get as much use as possible out of any potential downtown stadium.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'd love to see a study regarding how many attendees at NFL games are there on day trips, vs how many stay overnight. My guess would be that it's upwards of 90%.

That's why I'd like to see the Bills go after the Central NY market. I'm thinking of Syracuse, in particular. A stadium in Batavia or Pembroke would shave about 2 hours, round trip, off of a commute for Syracuse ticket buyers. And it would sell a lot more Rochester tickets, I think.

I get why people want to see it Downtown, and I agree, mostly. But I always go back to the fact that RWS is used, by and large, for less than ten days a year. I'm not sure it would offset the difference in comparative property values between downtown and a more outlying area to have it there. Sure, you get ten good days for restaurants and bars, etc. But there are 355 other days in the year that it just sits.

I just have visions of total gridlock in my head with a Nia Falls stadium, especially. But a Buffalo stadium, too.

I don't know. All I care about is that it's within 40 miles of here.

32. Post thanked by:

better days (04-12-2014),Scumbag College (04-11-2014)