Thread: Zach Mettenberger draft status on the rise?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Zach Mettenberger draft status on the rise?

Have been reading for few months about some that like Mettneberger. Some here. Some nationally. Jaworski likes him too.

Quote Originally Posted by PFT
    Jaworski ranks Mettenberger over Manziel, Bridgewater

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 15, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT

Ron Jaworski, the former NFL quarterback turned ESPN commentator, is well regarded for his ability to break down film and analyze it in a way that fans can understand. But in breaking down the quarterbacks in this year’s NFL draft, Jaworski has been all over the map.

The latest example: Jaworski said today onNFL Live that he views former LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger as a better prospect than either of the two highest-profile quarterbacks in this year’s draft,Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M or Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville.

“This is the guy that can change the draft, Zach Mettenberger,” Jaworski said. “He has the big, strong arm, the prototypical NFL quarterback, at 6-foot-5, 228 pounds, coached by Cam Cameron down there at LSU, pro-style offense.”

Jaworski ranks former Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles as the best of this year’s class, Mettenberger second, Manziel third, Bridgewater fourth and Derek Carr of Fresno State fifth. Jaworski seems to put a lot of stock in pro days...
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...l-bridgewater/
    Last edited by swiper; 04-15-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,518 Times in 17,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Zach Mettenberger draft status on the rise?

You've got to believe that some of these QB's projected as fourth rounders, or later, are going to go a couple of rounds early.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yep.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,286 Times in 13,719 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Eh, this wreaks of a draft prognosticator's shot in the dark. We all know Manziel has his issues. We all know this isn't a strong draft for QB's. If Mettenberger has a great career and one or both of the other two don't, Jaws looks like a genius. If he's wrong, no one will remember.

Don't get me wrong- generally I like Jaws. But he's playing the game and playing the odds on this one.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Got to believe there was only one Roethlisberger and you cannot get more from a berger, nothing much happened with QB's who's names ended with "ing" if they were not siblings, double RR's did poorly after Starr, "as" worked out woeful after Unitas, with deference to Jaworski, he's only ever measured against Bartowski.
    There is a thing about QB names I do not pretend to understand, and we're better off not having one with a really long one and a first abbreviated name announcers can comfortably call him like he is their pal. Zach is overly harsh sounding on network TV but in your mind you can hear the announcers saying "EJ is having his troubles this game", er, "EJ is tearing them up on his reads".

"Mettenburger drops back.....Zach is doing well in 5th grade thanks for asking, back to the field, something bad happened, we're over to the guy with 3 letters in the booth, Jim or Bob, I forget"

But the QB name thing is not to be underestimated or we'd see proportional success from people with funnier names.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Eh, this wreaks of a draft prognosticator's shot in the dark. We all know Manziel has his issues. We all know this isn't a strong draft for QB's. If Mettenberger has a great career and one or both of the other two don't, Jaws looks like a genius. If he's wrong, no one will remember.

Don't get me wrong- generally I like Jaws. But he's playing the game and playing the odds on this one.
    This is a fine draft for QBs. 2012 with Luck and RG3 at the top looking amazing is the extreme exception, this is the typical situation: QBs get hit hardest by the pre-draft meat grinder. I mean, think back to the celebrated QB class of 2004. Eli Manning was a huge diva who refused to play for the team that drafted him, Rivers had mechanical issues that he's been playing through his entire career, and Roethlisberger had character red flags which played out in the big leagues.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!