Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I told you, the bills would draft a pro bowler!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If I told you, the bills would draft a pro bowler!

I am asking a question that goes for any draft.

We know a few things about the bills
    1. They value their board
    2. Will go best player available

What if I told you that they would select a player that does not fill a need or a preceived need but he was a pro bowler fringe HOF kind of player.

For this exercise lets say this is the bills board

Clowney - gone
    Robinson - Gone
    Matthews - gone
    Mack - gone
    Watkins - gone
    Evans - gone

Those guys have been selected before our pick at 9.

what if they took a player like Aaron Donald.

Oh I agree it is not the sexy pick and it is not a need (much like spiller) and it does not help the Off. Seriously though how mad would you be, what if he was as good as Kiko.

What if he allows us to rest Kyle more prolonging his career, he is better than Kyle coming out and will be his replacement.

Look I am not saying Donald is a pro bowler I am simply bringing up a scenario to see what you guys would do.

1. Blast the Bills as directionless
    2. Applaud the bills because you are a homer
    3. Say to be honest who else would we take and give the guy a chance after all last years draft class was a good one and could be elite if EJ develops

Personally I would know for sure they took the best player on their board and did not draft for need, and for me I am a firm believe in drafting best player available teams and draft strategy.

I believe you use FA to fill holes with cheaper FA that might not be the answer but have played in the league and are slightly below average, opposed to over drafting a guy who will suck and make that hole even worse.

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: If I told you, the bills would draft a pro bowler!

Pro Bowler/Fringe HOF-type players are always an area of need.

I get where you're going with this but the premise is just silly - no one would complain if they KNEW the player was going to be that good.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Dunno what I'd think. Not mad at it. I see a lot of clubs turning to inside pressure, to get to the QB and pressure the pass game that the NFL favors.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If early draft picks come in more talented than what you currently have, there's a chance for upside & the player's ability to improve. The Bills' problem is that we have lost some very talented players we drafted because of poor planning or apathy. Byrd should of been going into his 3rd year of his contract this coming season, instead he's gone. Byrd would of came in around $6 Million a year back then, just a complete lack of foresight by the FO.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    If early draft picks come in more talented than what you currently have, there's a chance for upside & the player's ability to improve. The Bills' problem is that we have lost some very talented players we drafted because of poor planning or apathy. Byrd should of been going into his 3rd year of his contract this coming season, instead he's gone. Byrd would of came in around $6 Million a year back then, just a complete lack of foresight by the FO.
    Oh I agree.

The only hope I have is that Whaley and Marrone are going to be here for a long time and with consistency at coaching and the front office they will not have to wait to see if the new regime like said player.

Lets see what they do with Dareus, Spiller, Gilmore, Glenn, and if Aaron Williams is any kind of indicator then hopefully this problem will be resolved for the most part. We will always lose someone especially if we ever get good because you cannot pay everyone.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
    Pro Bowler/Fringe HOF-type players are always an area of need.

I get where you're going with this but the premise is just silly - no one would complain if they KNEW the player was going to be that good.

Yeah I agree I sort of worded the question wrong.

How would you feel today if someone like Donald was the pick.

If Donald progresses to become a pro bowler and a great player do the Bills then get the benefit of the doubt like the Ravens in the future?

7. Post thanked by:

Pinkerton Security (04-18-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Donald is probably the top DT on most boards despite not being the ideal size. He's about the same size as Kyle Williams when he came out and plays with similar relentlessness. Definitely a first rounder. I realize that we need a partner to dance, but if a trade down is at all possible, Donald and Calvin Pryor are guys I would absolutley love to have outside of the top 10. I think either would be awesome. I wouldn't hate either at 9, but I do think they would both be availble in the 12-18 range. Sorry to get off topic a bit. I was thinking it through.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,566 Times in 17,448 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd be OK with a DT.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

10. Post thanked by:

Night Train (04-16-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I'd be OK with a DT.
    I posted Nix of ND as one of several considerations at #9 (human double team ala Wilfork).

Love Aaron Donald due to his insane hustle, despite his 6-1 288 frame. Plays every snap like it's his last
    No one in this draft blows up more plays at the LOS than this guy but he's a 1 gap DT. Not a negative but it all depends how Schwartz sees his D makeup. Donald is one of those rare freaks every coach wants on his team. Leadership.. times 10.
    If you draft him, then he replaces Kyle Williams who is fighting constant injuries despite his talent and isn't getting any younger.

12. Post thanked by:

YardRat (04-16-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    Yeah I agree I sort of worded the question wrong.

How would you feel today if someone like Donald was the pick.

If Donald progresses to become a pro bowler and a great player do the Bills then get the benefit of the doubt like the Ravens in the future?
    The Bills front office will get the benefit of the doubt when they show they can build a team that can win consistently.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 944 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No.

Because, chances are that, even if he became a Pro Bowl player, the minute his rookie contract ended, the Bills wouldn't pay him and he'd leave and become a Pro Bowl player for another team... And some Bills fans would inevitably defend the move claiming that "he was overpaid" or "wasn't worth the money." Even if he was a "Pro Bowler/Fringe HOF-type player."

-Bill

15. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (04-17-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What if I told you that they would select a player that does not fill a need or a preceived need but he was a pro bowler fringe HOF kind of player.

For this exercise lets say this is the bills board

Clowney - gone
    Robinson - Gone
    Matthews - gone
    Mack - gone
    Watkins - gone
    Evans - gone

Those guys have been selected before our pick at 9.

what if they took a player like Aaron Donald.

Oh I agree it is not the sexy pick and it is not a need (much like spiller) and it does not help the Off. Seriously though how mad would you be, what if he was as good as Kiko.

What if he allows us to rest Kyle more prolonging his career, he is better than Kyle coming out and will be his replacement.

Look I am not saying Donald is a pro bowler I am simply bringing up a scenario to see what you guys would do.

1. Blast the Bills as directionless
    2. Applaud the bills because you are a homer
    3. Say to be honest who else would we take and give the guy a chance after all last years draft class was a good one and could be elite if EJ develops

Personally I would know for sure they took the best player on their board and did not draft for need, and for me I am a firm believe in drafting best player available teams and draft strategy.

I believe you use FA to fill holes with cheaper FA that might not be the answer but have played in the league and are slightly below average, opposed to over drafting a guy who will suck and make that hole even worse.
    J. Football

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Okay well lets start with the premise here.

Every team values their board. No argument there.

They will go BPA? Why so sure? What if BPA is QB? What if it is RB or K? I don't think they'd go either of those 3. I also don't think they'd go C, S, RG, FS or CB.

If you draft a running back or a kicker or a player at a position you are already strong at you should be fired. Out of a cannon. Anyone who says you don't draft for need is oversimplifying the issue. You weight positions based on their relative importance to the current/future state of the league and your strengths.

Sorry man but DT is an example of this. How are we better? We are the exact same team when we draft him. So we draft a DT and ignore the other insane holes? How is that prudent? We aren't talking about BPA vs someone projected 16 places lower. If you have a DT projected 8 and a WR etc projected 10, you go for need.

I hope to the lord baby jesus the men at OBD have a board that somehow reflects what we actually need to get better, and not just who they think is the best player at that point in the draft. It's just insanity.
    Last edited by BuffaloRedleg; 04-17-2014 at 02:01 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Would be fine with it....
    Here is a better one...

What if the Bills draft Gilbert the CB from OK ST
    GO Gators!!!!!!
    GO GATORS!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by tampabay25690 View Post
    Would be fine with it....
    Here is a better one...

What if the Bills draft Gilbert the CB from OK ST

My browns buddy poised that same question to me. To be honest I really don't know what to say to it.

We have Gilmore and Roby who I think are very good at their respective positions.

McKelvin had a great year and is signed for 3 more years, and we just signed Graham who I think will compete with McKelvin and ultimately serve as the primary boundary corner backup and 4th CB to come off the bench.

Ron Brooks will be Robys backup and he and Brandon Smith (if he or another corner is drafted) will be the special teams depth.

I will put it this way, I will not hate the pick because I like the player and have for awhile but I will not be uber excited. I view it as a pick for the future in the case that McKelvin or Graham flame out this year or Gilmore leaves.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post

They will go BPA? Why so sure? What if BPA is QB? What if it is RB or K? I don't think they'd go either of those 3. I also don't think they'd go C, S, RG, FS or CB.

If you draft a running back or a kicker or a player at a position you are already strong at you should be fired. Out of a cannon. Anyone who says you don't draft for need is oversimplifying the issue. You weight positions based on their relative importance to the current/future state of the league and your strengths.

Sorry man but DT is an example of this. How are we better? We are the exact same team when we draft him. So we draft a DT and ignore the other insane holes? How is that prudent? We aren't talking about BPA vs someone projected 16 places lower. If you have a DT projected 8 and a WR etc projected 10, you go for need.

I hope to the lord baby jesus the men at OBD have a board that somehow reflects what we actually need to get better, and not just who they think is the best player at that point in the draft. It's just insanity.
    - - - Updated - - -

If you get the chance watch the 1974 draft special on NFL Network it serves as case point for drafting best player available and not need.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

to me, it makes sense. The best part of the current bills is their front 7. You add to that, you give them playmakers and depth, that's the part of the team most likely to become dominant. So why not add to that? However, i don't like adding "top flight" cb's because i just don't buy into it. i don't think a top end CB makes much of a difference if you don't get the pressure.

as a team who drafted EJ, they really don't have a good sense of who he is. right now he looked good enough to be a game manager if he could stay healthy. the limited look at him, you can throw out his couple bad games...all rookies have that. but he also had that with limited practice. I don't think anyone expects him to win a bunch of games for us.....but i don't think you expect him to lose games for us. they gave offense a lot of attention in last year's draft. give them some line depth, and they'll know what they have.

22. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (04-17-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

- - - Updated - - -

If you get the chance watch the 1974 draft special on NFL Network it serves as case point for drafting best player available and not need.
    That's all fine and well, but a draft from 40 years ago doesn't really strengthen your case.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That's all fine and well, but a draft from 40 years ago doesn't really strengthen your case.
    It proves the point of drafting best player available as talent wins more times than not on the football field.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It proves the point of drafting best player available as talent wins more times than not on the football field.
    I feel like all it proves is that one time 40 years ago at team did that and it worked out.

"Went BPA" vs "Drafted a QB who was great" is a better correlation to team success. BPA isn't even worth talking about because none of us know what a team's board is. The fact that we didn't draft Russel Wilson or Colin Kaepernick is proof of how BPA is absolutely 100% overrated.

If we're using examples 40 years ago to build our team... I just don't know what to say to that.