Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CleveSteve's Mock

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

CleveSteve's Mock

Hey guys, still working on my Mock. Got Round one complete. Let's see if I can get an award from Tiger!

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2014/Mock...l/Default.aspx

1. Houston Texans
    QBp Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
    I'm not buying the assumption that Houston is entertaining anything other than a quarterback at number one. They lost last year not only because of poor quarterbacking, but poor leadership. The did not go 2-14 last year because of a lack of defensive playmakers. I would be shocked if Houston does anything but take a quarterback they feel is a strong leader for the team, and think they would regret that decision for years.
    2. St. Louis Rams (from WAS)
    WRf Sammy Watkins, Clemson
    While most seem to think the Rams would go with an offensive tackle or Clowney, I think it's clear that a true dominating number one receiver is what's missing the most on this team. The Rams line was still OK after Jake Long went down last year and his career is not over. St. Louis will be fine at OT and they have too much money tied up in Jake Long to reboot the position. Watkinsis the clear number one receiver available in the draft. Jeff Fisher would like to drop down and still get Watkins, but he lost out on the player he really wanted when he moved down in the 2012 draft and likely won't try to get too cute again. A possibility of a trade up from Cleveland exists, but two firsts and a fourth is a price the Browns might flinch at to move up two spots.
    3. Jacksonville Jaguars
    QBp Derek Carr, Fresno State
    Gus Bradley has been trying to mask his giddyness about Carr since the Senior Bowl. Carr worked alongside Jimmy Garoppolo and David Fales under Bradley's eye that week and he clearly outshined all the QBs at the game. The Jags' staff went so far as to feed the NFL Networks' sideline reporter what I believe to be a fake playcall of a deep pass, then had Carr throw a WR screen (which had been a point of criticism all week on the Senior Bowl coverage). If Cleveland trades ahead of Jacksonville to select Carr, I believe the Jags will nab Teddy Bridgewater at 3, but like I said above I believe Cleveland will balk at the Rams' asking price. Jacksonville would like to move down and take Carr, but Carr has been linked too much to both Cleveland and Oakland for them to consider it.
    4. Cleveland Browns
    QBm Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
    While it may seem difficult for the Browns to take Teddy Bridgewater after his comments about having difficulty throwing a "cold ball", Bridgewater does display what GM Ray Farmer has said he values most in QBs, what they see and how they react in the five seconds leading up to the snap and what they see and how they react in the two and a half seconds after. While Carr and/or Manziel may be higher on their list, they are gone in this scenario. Bridgewater does fit the bill of a smart quarterback who can complete passes from the pocket and rolling out, a necessity for the reinstallation of a West Coast Offense in Cleveland. As the last top-tier QB available to start sooner rather than later, Cleveland plays it safe and snags Bridgewater despite Atlanta's offer to move up.
    5. Oakland Raiders
    RE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina
    Despite Oakland's needs at QB and WR, Clowney is just too good to pass up at this point. Justin Tuck hasn't been as effective in recent years and could even slide back inside to UT like his early days in New York, and LaMarr Woodley hasn't played defensive end since his days at Michigan. If Carr or Bridgewater were available, they may take one of them here, but reports are they are not interested in Blake Bortles and Watkins is already off the board.
    6. Minnesota Vikings (from ATL)
    QBp Blake Bortles, UCF
    TRADE: MIN #8 and #72 for ATL #6 and ATL #147. Minnesota moves up to make sure they snag Blake Bortles ahead of Tampa Bay. They must come away with a new starting quarterback, and the idea of pounding teams with the combination of Bortles and Peterson is easy for football fans to get excited about. The Vikings have an extra third this year from Seattle, so it's easy for them to part with this pick to upgrade over Christian Ponder and Matt Cassell.
    7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    SLB Khalil Mack, Buffalo
    Tampa needs a bevy of wide receivers, but the opportunity to snag Mack with All-Pro Lavonte David and stalwart Mason Foster is too good for them to pass up. At this point, none of the receivers or quarterbacks seem worth the pick and Mack to many observers would be the best player available.
    8. Atlanta Falcons (from MIN)
    RT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M
    After losing out on Clowney, Atlanta moves back and grabs an extra third round pick while still snagging the best offensive tackle in the draft. Some might have Atlanta stay put and grab the next available pass rusher, but I think this move, collecting more ammo to move back up for a pass rusher, is the better play.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: CleveSteve's Mock

9. Buffalo Bills
    RT Greg Robinson, Auburn
    Buffalo would be ecstatic for Robinson to be available at nine. The power running game Buffalo could must with Robinson opposite Cordy Glenn would be devastating.
    10. Detroit Lions
    SLB Anthony Barr, UCLA
    The Lions turn their weakest linebacking position into their strongest with the selection of Anthony Barr. Though Barr was primarily a penetrating edge defender at UCLA, he showed the ability to cover when needed. Barr will strengthen the Lions' run defense as well as add pass rush ability.
    11. Tennessee Titans
    ILB C.J. Mosley, Alabama
    Tennessee is converting to a 3-4 defense this year under Ray Horton. Horton says he runs a multi-front defense, but his history shows he is a 3-4 coordinator. The Titans need an athletic coverage linebacker and Mosley fits that bill to a T. Seeking a trade-down here is tempting, as is cornerback with all of the options available, but Mosley is the best option to fill that particular spot in the draft by a wide margin and is a risk to be taken by the Giants and the Rams, who are the next two teams up.
    12. New York Giants
    TE Eric Ebron, North Carolina
    The Giants take the top TE in the draft, Eric Ebron, at 12. Ebron is a special receiver and athlete and will add a dimension to the Giants' offense they've been lacking since the end of Shockey's heyday.
    13. Chicago Bears (from STL)
    UT Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh
    TRADE: CHI #14 and #117 to STL for #13. Chicago parts with a 4th round pick to stave off Dallas' attempt to move up for the player they covet. Aaron Donald is a monster in the middle and Chicago didn't want to lose both Donald AND Henry Melton to the Cowboys.
    14. St. Louis Rams (from CHI)
    FS Hasean Clinton-Dix, Alabama
    The Rams drop one spot and still nab the player they covet. They've got the top free safety and the top wide receiver in the draft to this point and picked up additional trade ammunition in the process.
    15. Pittsburgh Steelers
    LT Taylor Lewan, Michigan
    The Steelers feel like they hit the jackpot as they have their choice of the top left tackle, cornerback, or nose tackle in the draft. Ultimately, their struggles to fill out the left tackle spot sway the decision to go with Lewan, who would have been in consideration for the top overall pick last year.
    16. Dallas Cowboys
    NT Timmy Jernigan, Florida State
    After failing to land Aaron Donald, Dallas is relieved to have Timmy Jernigan available at 16. Melton and Jernigan are two strong terrors for the middle of their defense.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

17. Baltimore Ravens
    CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State
    Ozzie Newsome has always let the draft fall to him, and at this point Justin Gilbert is too much of an impact playmaker to let pass by. Gilbert has a lot of the same physical attributes that drew Ozzie's attention to Jimmy Smith, but better field awareness and more of a knack for the big play.
    18. New York Jets
    WRf Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
    Brandin Cooks is an electric receiver with great run-after catch ability. His knack for creating separation is ideal for the Jets' west-coast based offense and will provide a target that will help boost the confidence of their young quarterback Geno Smith
    19. Miami Dolphins
    RT Zack Martin, Notre Dame
    Miami's reconstruction of their offensive line continues as they snag Zach Martin. Martin can play guard or tackle depending on what falls later in the draft, and who better to help the Dolphins forget the ugliness of last season than a tackle named Martin?
    20. Arizona Cardinals
    SS Calvin Pryor, Louisville
    The Cardinals are happy to have the hard-hitting Calvin Pryor fall into their lap at 20. Pryor probably doesn't have the range to play free safety in the NFL, but he can be major support in the run game that San Francisco and Seattle bring.
    21. Green Bay Packers
    WRf Marqise Lee, Southern California
    With Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson's contracts expiring at the end of the season, it's unlikely they will be able to keep both of them. Picking up Lee would keep Aaron Rodgers flush with talent at wide receiver, which has been Green Bay's formula for success for years.
    22. Philadelphia Eagles
    NT Louis Nix, Notre Dame
    There is no doubt that Philadelphia is looking to add a receiver or two in this draft, but with Nix still on the board, the Eagles may be facing their one crack at a viable starting nose tackle in their 3-4 alignment. ODB is tough pass up here, but there are a bunch of talented wide receivers in this draft.
    23. Cleveland Browns (from KC)
    CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
    TRADE: CLE #26 and #127 for KC #23. The Browns have 10 selections in the draft and have already secured their quarterback. With a couple cornerback-needy teams betwen them and their pick, they move up and snag Fuller. Fuller is the top man cover corner and has great toughness and tackling ability.
    24. Cincinnati Bengals
    CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State
    The Bengals have been drafting corners for years but haven't quite hit on the right one yet. With the top safeties off the board and no centers worth a first round pick, Dennard is the pick here. Darqueze Dennard is considered by many to be the top corner in the draft.

4. Post thanked by:

Novacane (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

25. San Francisco 49ers (from SD)
    WRf Odell Beckham Jr., LSU
    TRADE: SF #30 and #94 for SD #25. San Francisco sees an opening to move up and snag Odell Backham, Jr. and does it. Beckham, Jr. can play any receiver position and would provide a boost for a receiving group which could use an injection of new blood. With Boldin getting older and Crabtree's contract coming up, the 49ers need a receiver they can count on that won't cost them an arm and a leg.
    26. Kansas City Chiefs (from IND)
    WRp Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    Mike Evans represents a big, strong complement to Dwayne Bowe. He is a freightening talent running after the catch and would pair well with the quick-hitting Alex Smith.
    27. New Orleans Saints
    OLB Dee Ford, Auburn
    The Saints nab Dee Ford to build on their pass rush. Ford has the quickest first step in the draft and was a terror off the left edge during Auburn's run to the national championship game. He'll remain at LOLB opposite Junior Galette with the Saints.
    28. Carolina Panthers
    LT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama
    I don't know all the details of Cyrus Kouandjio's medical, but he was considered a top 10 pick for a long time. After a poor combine showing and bad news about his physical condition, his reputation has plummeted. Leading into last year's draft, his ex-teammate DJ Fluker had an awful combine and many dropped him out of the first round, yet he ended up having the finest rookie season of any of the tackles last year. Carolina is in desperate need of a left tackle after the abrupt retirment of Jordan Goss, so they should be happy to find Kouandjio at this spot.
    29. New England Patriots
    LE Kony Ealy, Missouri
    New England adds Kony Ealy, a big, strong, and fast pass rusher with their first pick who will push Rob Ninkovich immediately.
    30. San Diego Chargers (from SF)
    OG Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA
    San Diego would be heartbroken to see Dennard and Fuller go right in front of them, but they pick up an extra third and Su'a-Filo, possibly the most athletic guard in the draftright in front of their division rivals. Left guard is a serious sore spot for San Diego, and big Xavier might be the best candidate for the position in the draft.
    31. Atlanta Falcons (from DEN)
    OLB Demarcus Lawrence, Boise State
    TRADE: ATL #37 and #112 for DEN #31 After earlier picking up Minnesota's 3rd round pick, Atlanta is happy to part ways with their 4th round selection to fill their greatest remaining need of a pass rusher. Demarcus Lawrence is a player with an excellent first step, good closing speed and long arms. The Falcons envision him rattling the QBs of the NFC South.
    32. Seattle Seahawks
    RT JaWuan James, Tennessee
    Seattle nabs the highly-athletic Ja'Wuan James to man the right side of their line. James is a rare prospect who has left tackle athleticism but most of his experience comes from the right side. This should be a great fit for Seattle, as they move Bowie inside to guard.

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2014/Mock...l/Default.aspx

6. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-06-2014),Lone Stranger (05-06-2014)

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,713 Times in 3,431 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The link would have been sufficient. 4 QB's in the top 6? I hope that happens but I know it won't.

8. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (05-06-2014),swiper (05-06-2014)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think you're a little hyperbolic in some of the descriptions, but I would love if we snagged Robinson. If Clowney started falling though, I would hope we could move up for him. That would make me very happy.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

10. Post thanked by:

CleveSteve (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

cool, some people get ticked when I just post a link. For me, when it comes down to the pick, and you don't have a QB, and you don't know what the teams behind you are going to do but know they also need a QB, you take one if there's one you like. That was my thinking on it anyways.

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I stopped reading after I saw the #1 Manziel pick.

13. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

While I may not quite see that 4 QBs going in the top 8, but you did picture a scenario where there is a QB run which, in my opinion, is possible despite everyone is saying QBs are not going to be taken early this year.

Just remember it is still a QB driven league and everyone knows that; so many teams in the top 8 are dying to get some stability at that position (Cleveland, for example, is pretty much set EXCEPT a capable QB for all the draft picks they got in recent years); the draft is deep, more the reason to get that important QB in place before everyone else; by most accounts, this group of QBs are way better than last year's (remember Manuel would be ranked 7th or lower by some analysts, and he went 14th overall last year).

15. Post thanked by:

CleveSteve (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks for taking the time to understand my reasoning, ghz!

17. Post thanked by:

ghz in pittsburgh (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Where are the barely dress girly pictures?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE
    People said similar things with my draft last year... but mine turned out to be one of the most accurate on the net, rounds 1-7. Doesn't mean I'm right again this year, but I've beat the consensus before...

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2013/Mock.../Analysis.aspx

http://www.cornerblitz.com/2013/Mock...l/Default.aspx

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Where are the barely dress girly pictures?
    I didn't realize that was a requirement for mocks, lol. My apologies.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yes, it's a requirement.

Mock seems pretty unrealistic to me, though I'd be happy if Robinson was available.

23. Post thanked by:

CleveSteve (05-06-2014),IlluminatusUIUC (05-07-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Any draft that gets me Robinson or Matthews is a good mock. Make it happen.

25. Post thanked by:

CleveSteve (05-06-2014),Novacane (05-06-2014)

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I highly doubt Johnny goes #1 and Really REALLY Doubt Bridgewater gets drafted in top 10 let alone first rd

27. Post thanked by:

CleveSteve (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Zero chance 4 QBs go in the top 6.

Even less chance that Clowney lasts til 5th.

29. Post thanked by:

CleveSteve (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Zero chance 4 QBs go in the top 6.

Even less chance that Clowney lasts til 5th.
    Less than zero?

31. Post thanked by:

Mr. Pink (05-06-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by CleveSteve View Post
    Less than zero?
    Dinosaurs will walk in your yard on May 8th if Clowney lasts til 5th.

33. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-06-2014),CleveSteve (05-06-2014),swiper (05-06-2014)