Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Fran Has 11 Draft Picks - Whaley Should Be Calling Them To Trade Down

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

San Fran Has 11 Draft Picks - Whaley Should Be Calling Them To Trade Down

San Fran is looking for a WR and needs a CB or 2.

11 guys are NOT going to make their final roster, the result of being a top team.

San Fran Picks

1. First round – No. 30 overall
    2. Second round – No. 56 overall (from the Kansas City Chiefs)
    3. Second round – No. 61 overall
    4. Third round – No. 77 overall (from the Tennessee Titans)
    5. Third round – No. 94 overall
    6. Third round – No. 100 overall (compensatory)
    7. Fourth round – No. 129 overall
    8. Fifth round - No. 170 overall
    9. Seventh round – No. 242 overall (from the New Orleans Saints)
    10. Seventh round – No. 243 overall (from the Carolina Panthers)
    11. Seventh round – No. 245 overall

I realize many become polarized by the Round 1 pick, as if the draft begins and ends there. Yet this is the deepest draft in 15-20 years, which means a golden opportunity to replenish needed holes and depth for the forward thinking GM's. Whaley and Marrone have been a team for a year now and have made many moves to revamp the roster. Opportunity knocks.

I would have no issue with moving back to #30 while picking up additional picks in this draft. I doubt San Fran would mind giving up a few picks to get a specific player or 2, since that's all that will make their team. At #30 you could still get a starting RT, for example.

Our needs are still numerous and long term. 4th rounders this year would be 2nd rounders other years, according to many scouting reports I've read. Deep, deep drafts like this only come up once in a while. Lots of value and extra 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks etc. would really make sense this year.

Call San Fran and plant the seed.

2. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (04-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: San Fran Has 11 Draft Picks - Whaley Should Be Calling Them To Trade Down

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post

11 guys are NOT going to make their final roster, the result of being a top team.

San Fran Picks

I realize many become polarized by the Round 1 pick, as if the draft begins and ends there. Yet this is the deepest draft in 15-20 years, which means a golden opportunity to replenish needed holes and depth for the forward thinking GM's. Whaley and Marrone have been a team for a year now and have made many moves to revamp the roster. Opportunity knocks.

I would have no issue with moving back to #30 while picking up additional picks in this draft. I doubt San Fran would mind giving up a few picks to get a specific player or 2, since that's all that will make their team. At #30 you could still get a starting RT, for example.

Our needs are still numerous and long term. 4th rounders this year would be 2nd rounders other years, according to many scouting reports I've read. Deep, deep drafts like this only come up once in a while. Lots of value and extra 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks etc. would really make sense this year.

I would prefer a trade down more than a trade up.

I would be very surprised if it happens though.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

San Fran Picks

I dont have an issue with moving down depending on how the draft falls. I'd like another 2nd rounder. I agree that a RT can be had later in the draft. What I would like to do though is land a G and RT in the first 4 rounds.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe if San Fran kicks in their first next year.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,527 Times in 17,420 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It would take a boatload to move up 21 spots.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

7. Post thanked by:

better days (04-23-2014),jimmifli (04-23-2014),The last buffalo fan (04-23-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    It would take a boatload to move up 21 spots.
    http://www.ourlads.com/nfldraftvalue/

Value chart targets the extra picks San Fran has in Rounds 2 & 3 ( maybe more, if the Bills wish ).

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Who wound San Fran want to move up for? If Evans is on the board sure, but they are not moving up to draft an OT or TE.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Who wound San Fran want to move up for? If Evans is on the board sure, but they are not moving up to draft an OT or TE.
    Talk yesterday on NFL Network stated a couple of top CB's (no names) they covet.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Id do it for 30, 56 and 61 . They'd come out ahead on the points by 98 but 3 players for 1 I wouldn't care.

12. Post thanked by:

Night Train (04-23-2014),YardRat (04-23-2014)

SpikedLemonade

If we could trade our #9 overall draft pick for SF's 1st, two 2nds and two 3rds, I would do it.

That would give us three 2nd round and three 3rd round draft picks plus the 30th overall.

I would also be willing to trade our 4th and 5th to get back up into the end of the 3rd.

If the draft is as deep as they say it is, this is the year you want to stockpile 2nd and 3rd round picks.

It would allow us to fill a lot of holes even if we don't get lucky to draft an elite talent.

14. Post thanked by:

YardRat (04-23-2014)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    If we could trade our #9 overall draft pick for SF's 1st, two 2nds and two 3rds, I would do it.

That would give us three 2nd round and three 3rd round draft picks plus the 30th overall.

I would also be willing to trade our 4th and 5th to get back up into the end of the 3rd.

If the draft is as deep as they say it is, this is the year you want to stockpile 2nd and 3rd round picks.

It would allow us to fill a lot of holes even if we don't get lucky to draft an elite talent.
    That's an enormous draft haul for the #9. I don't see SF going for it unless something absurd happens like Mack or Watkins falling to us.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Our 9th pick is worth 1350 points on the chart. San Fran's 30th (620), 56th (340), 61st (292) and 100th (100) are worth 1352. That would be the most equal we could get and I would take it in two seconds. Having said that, I would be willing to sacrifice the 3rd (100th) at the last second if we had to. 3 second rounders in this draft would be awesome. Three 2nds and two thirds would be better.

17. Post thanked by:

Novacane (04-23-2014),The last buffalo fan (04-23-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Perhaps they will deal some away for picks next year, or trade some to pick up a current player to strength their roster. Their #6 is a comp pick, which can't be traded.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

God not the draft chart again.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    God not the draft chart again.
    I thought that went on the back burner when the rookie cap was implemented...

Thanks
    Thanked 26,288 Times in 13,721 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not opposed to trading down, but all the way to 30? Do you guys really trust this org to draft well enough with extra 2nd and 3rd round picks to make up for missing out on a top 10 guy? I don't.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I'm not opposed to trading down, but all the way to 30? Do you guys really trust this org to draft well enough with extra 2nd and 3rd round picks to make up for missing out on a top 10 guy? I don't.
    Last 2 years in Round 2. Glenn, Woods, Alonzo.

23. Post thanked by:

coastal (04-23-2014),Novacane (04-23-2014),The last buffalo fan (04-23-2014),YardRat (04-26-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    They can miss no matter where they pick. They've proven that. 3 players in the top 60 or 1 at #9? I could argue they have a better chance of hitting on 1 player with the three picks than they do with the one.

25. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (04-23-2014),YardRat (04-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Last 2 years in Round 2. Glenn, Woods, Alonzo.
    Before that:
    2011- Aaron Williams- sucked at CB but good at S so far
    2010- Torrell Troup. Ugh
    2009- Byrd and Levitre
    2008- James Hardy. Ugh.

Now, Whaley was here with Nix in 2011 so he had no role in anything that happened before that and we don't know how much of a role he had in 11-13. That being said, he did have a role in the two good picks from '09 no longer being here.....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    They can miss no matter where they pick. They've proven that. 3 players in the top 60 or 1 at #9? I could argue they have a better chance of hitting on 1 player with the three picks than they do with the one.
    Well there will be less players available with the later picks so that reduces the chance of each individual pick finding a good player, especially since the top talent gets picked off first.

Do the extra picks increase the chances of finding a good player more than the reduced talent pool decreases them? I don't know- that's a question for someone whose math is better than mine.