Thread: Phil Simms comment on NFL Radio

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Phil Simms comment on NFL Radio

Phil Simms was on NFL radio and he made the following comment about a QB that I thought was interesting.

"He said the first two years in the league I did not think this QB was going to make it in the league.

Then the third year I was at their training camp and I saw a throw out of the corner of my eye and I said what a throw by Brett Favre, oh wait that was Aaron Rogers.

In other words QBs can get better in time."

That was his quote not word for word but that is what he said and some was verbatium

2. Post thanked by:

SquishDaFish (04-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Phil Simms comment on NFL Radio

That story was well travelled and you have missed the other part: Favre DID NOT help Rogers at all during the time the two share the same team logo, and Rogers admitted as much that they had a rather cold realtionship.

I do believe 90% of success comes from within the individual in a highly competitive environment like NFL, so Rogers is special in that regard. However, I don't know if he would achieve the same kind of success playing for a team, say Buffalo, without the benefit of watching a HOF QB for 3 seasons within arms length. Who know, had Alex Smith and Rogers changed place, maybe we'd talk about Alex Smith now ...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

@PhilSimmsQuotes on twitter is fantastic to follow, during the season is it's prime.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

First of all, I can't read a Phil Simms quote without a Southern accent in my head.

But I don't know as if Aaron Rodgers is an example of a quarterback that really got better over time in a large sense, although I'm sure it happens. Rodgers didn't even PLAY until his 4th year. I don't know why Phil Simms would say such a thing just because he saw Rodgers throw a nice pass...he played well since he ever started. And we're talking about practice...did Simms see a lot of him in practice? Not the same, anyway.
    Last edited by feldspar; 04-24-2014 at 04:19 PM.

6. Post thanked by:

MTBillsFan (04-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    That story was well travelled and you have missed the other part: Favre DID NOT help Rogers at all during the time the two share the same team logo, and Rogers admitted as much that they had a rather cold realtionship.

I do believe 90% of success comes from within the individual in a highly competitive environment like NFL, so Rogers is special in that regard. However, I don't know if he would achieve the same kind of success playing for a team, say Buffalo, without the benefit of watching a HOF QB for 3 seasons within arms length. Who know, had Alex Smith and Rogers changed place, maybe we'd talk about Alex Smith now ...
    Yeah. The idea of competition making the other guy(s) better is oversold. It has to ultimately come from within.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    Phil Simms was on NFL radio and he made the following comment about a QB that I thought was interesting.

"He said the first two years in the league I did not think this QB was going to make it in the league.

Then the third year I was at their training camp and I saw a throw out of the corner of my eye and I said what a throw by Brett Favre, oh wait that was Aaron Rogers.

In other words QBs can get better in time."

That was his quote not word for word but that is what he said and some was verbatium
    Rodgers sat behind Favre.

Manuel played.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Rodgers sat behind Favre.

Manuel played.
    Yeah and if Rodgers had played, he's have been called a bust his first 2 years.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This just in:

ESPN news is reporting.....

EJ Manuel is NOT Aaron Rodgers.

EJ Manuel is Trent Edwards.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    This just in:

ESPN news is reporting.....

EJ Manuel is NOT Aaron Rodgers.

EJ Manuel is Trent Edwards.
    Who the frig gives a frig about ESPNews?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

I never said Favre helped him I know he did not. This had to do with Rogers getting better and that it can happen.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I understand then skeptism with ej. None of the draftniks said he was great so he must suck.

The problem I have is it seems like a large contingent of the fan base wants him to fail so they can say they were right and just bash the front office and team more.

I am not going to say ej was my guy before the draft but he is now and I a routing for him to develop and become a HOF qb.

The bills winning means more to me than trying to pound my chest on a message board.

Bottom line he played 10 games made good throws and bad. Was not great was not terrible and was very inconsistent. Let's see how he does knowing the offense and everyone else around him knowing the offense and having a football offseason not a draft prep offseason which is completely different

14. Post thanked by:

better days (04-25-2014),Dr. Who (04-25-2014),The last buffalo fan (04-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I understand then skeptism with ej. None of the draftniks said he was great so he must suck.
    Ridiculous. I was happy with EJ at first, then, the more I saw him play, the more it became clear WHY he wasn't projected to be a first rounder. I based my decision on his piss poor play, not "draftniks".

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ridiculous. I was happy with EJ at first, then, the more I saw him play, the more it became clear WHY he wasn't projected to be a first rounder. I based my decision on his piss poor play, not "draftniks".
    It's equally ridiculous to assume a player's career is going to be defined by their rookie season. Bottom line, I don't know how EJ's career is going to turn out. Neither do you.

17. Post thanked by:

better days (04-25-2014),Dr. Who (04-25-2014),Jan Reimers (04-25-2014),kishoph (04-25-2014),The last buffalo fan (04-25-2014)

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mayotm View Post
    It's equally ridiculous to assume a player's career is going to be defined by their rookie season. Bottom line, I don't know how EJ's career is going to turn out. Neither do you.
    This is particularly true for a rookie that missed half the preseason, and 6 games in the regular season, with injuries - and was not always healthy in the 10 games he played.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

19. Post thanked by:

better days (04-25-2014),kishoph (04-25-2014),mayotm (04-25-2014),The last buffalo fan (04-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Reimers View Post
    This is particularly true for a rookie that missed half the preseason, and 6 games in the regular season, with injuries - and was not always healthy in the 10 games he played.

Add to that, a rookie head coach, a rookie OC, a corp of inexperienced receivers, a running game filled with injuries and a porous O line. Damn "EJ sucks", get rid of him.

21. Post thanked by:

better days (04-25-2014),Dr. Who (04-25-2014),Jan Reimers (04-27-2014),mayotm (04-25-2014),Night Train (04-25-2014),The last buffalo fan (04-25-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    Add to that, a rookie head coach, a rookie OC, a corp of inexperienced receivers, a running game filled with injuries and a porous O line. Damn "EJ sucks", get rid of him.

Bullseye.

Rookie coach & staff, Rookie QB, Rookie WR's (Woods,Goodwin). SJ hurt and having an off year. Shuffling of the OL.

Yeah, it's all Manuel. Should have made the playoffs

He's a total mystery like most every rookie QB and gets another year to show whether he's the long term solution. I'm not sure about him at all.. but a definitive conclusion stating "he sucks" is laughable.

In the meantime, the rest of the parts on Offense are upgraded and ready to go for Manuel or the next guy.

I sure don't like this QB class at all.

23. Post thanked by:

better days (04-25-2014),Jan Reimers (04-27-2014),kishoph (04-25-2014),mayotm (04-25-2014),The last buffalo fan (04-25-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Guys he sucks the pessimist are correct.

As for not being first round worthy, who will care if he becomes a franchise QB.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Reimers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Bullseye.

Rookie coach & staff, Rookie QB, Rookie WR's (Woods,Goodwin). SJ hurt and having an off year. Shuffling of the OL.

Yeah, it's all Manuel. Should have made the playoffs

He's a total mystery like most every rookie QB and gets another year to show whether he's the long term solution. I'm not sure about him at all.. but a definitive conclusion stating "he sucks" is laughable.

In the meantime, the rest of the parts on Offense are upgraded and ready to go for Manuel or the next guy.

I sure don't like this QB class at all.
    Another point that he split reps with Kolb in OTA's, mini-camp, and training camp. And he didn't have a dedicated QB coach, instead having Hackett doing double duty as a rookie OC and QB coach.

26. Post thanked by:

better days (04-25-2014),Jan Reimers (04-27-2014),kishoph (04-25-2014),Night Train (04-28-2014),The last buffalo fan (04-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,473 Times in 7,090 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was one who wanted to take a risk drafting EJ out of all the qb's last year because of his physical attributes. . I don't thing he sucked, but I now believe what people said about him coming out of college. He was RAW and it showed. His so called physical attributes meant nothing if his brain wasn't willing.

He's had a full year to learn in his head and I would think he has seen what needs to be done. He and Marrone has used the excusee that EJ really didn't have an entire offseason to prepare for the NFL and that he didn't have a vet qb to show him the ropes.

We all knew that he was no Andrew Luck who didn't need those excuses. All those excuses will no longer apply this season. If EJ isn't an above average QB this season, I would either bring in another vet qb or draft one high next year.

28. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (04-25-2014)