Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A QUESTION FOR THE PESSIMISTS

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A QUESTION FOR THE PESSIMISTS

OK, so why do all of you pessimists think the Bills are going to have a losing record next year?

A) Because you have no faith in Whaley & think he will blow his first draft?

B) Because you have no faith in Marrone & his staff?

C) Because you have no faith in EJ to stay healthy & develop?

D) Because you think the entire Offense SUCKS?

E) Because you think the entire Defense SUCKS?

F) Because after 14 years of losing, you are AFRAID to think the Bills may finally be on the upswing?

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: A QUESTION FOR THE PESSIMISTS

Im more a "the glass is half-full" kinda guy but this thread is just not going to accomplish anything.

"Realists" see that EJ is unproven and struggled at times last year, therefore we're going to suck. I can totally see EJ not panning out, so this isnt far-fetched.

To me our entire season hinges on whether EJ can develop into a legitimate NFL QB - doesnt need to light the world on fire but needs to be way more consistent. We totally have the talent we need - its a matter of whether that talent is going to show itself. I am positive EJ has the tools to be a solid QB in the NFL, but until he shows this, no one is going to convinced otherwise, especially the realists.

3. Post thanked by:

sudzy (04-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    OK, so why do all of you pessimists think the Bills are going to have a losing record next year?

F) Because after 14 years of losing, you are AFRAID to think the Bills may finally be on the upswing?
    I'll answer a few of your questions.

I think the guy Whaley reports to is worthless and has zero qualifications for the job that he was handed.

I don't think EJ's problems are correctable.

I think the Bills blind stubbornness regarding the QB position will doom them.

I love the Defense, but it's not enough.

Faith has to be earned. I think Marrone is a middler and he lost the best part of the staff to Cleveland.

5. Post thanked by:

alohabillsfan (04-24-2014),Historian (04-28-2014),jills (04-25-2014),jimmifli (04-24-2014),Mad Max (08-12-2014),Oldbillsfan (04-27-2014),sudzy (04-24-2014),swiper (04-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

On paper, 90% of this team looks playoff ready. Defense has a ton of talent. Running game is on to the NFL's best. Some really talented young WRs. 3 out 5 OL spots are set. Then you get to QB. EJ couldn't stay on the field and when he did looked like he was in over his head last year. And this team refuses to bring in any guys to challenge him or even for insurance.. Other teams with second year QBs aren't afraid to bring in guys to challenge their guys. Glennon, by far, out played EJ. They brought in McCown and are rumored to be looking to draft a guy. The Jets brought in Vick. For us, it's EJ or bust. Also I don't like Marrone's game management skills and his coordinators. Hackett's play calling is horrendous and Crossman's special teams are a joke. Yet, both guys stayed. Unless coaching and QB play drastically improves this team is going no where again.

7. Post thanked by:

alohabillsfan (04-24-2014),better days (04-24-2014),Slick (04-24-2014),swiper (04-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

EJ holds the entire offense back. He can't hit a WR more than 3 yards downfield, he's no vertical threat, teams load up the box so the running game isn't as good as it should be. But maybe after another year of more of the same, the organization will realize their mistake and try again.

9. Post thanked by:

alohabillsfan (04-24-2014),Skooby (04-24-2014),swiper (04-24-2014),TacklingDummy (04-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

EJ is made of glass & we've hitched our carriage to a bottle of glue, no way he makes it out the pre-season healthy. Then we'll be seeing Thad come-up to the table again, instead of drafting a real QB. We better get somebody that might amount to something & get to stay on the field at QB, otherwise it's going to be a long-season.

Pinkerton's son Pinkerton Security's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    EJ holds the entire offense back. He can't hit a WR more than 3 yards downfield, he's no vertical threat, teams load up the box so the running game isn't as good as it should be. But maybe after another year of more of the same, the organization will realize their mistake and try again.
    The bolded part is what kills me about "realists" - YOU CAN'T SEE INTO THE FUTURE, SORRY. We have NO CLUE how EJ is going to turn out, stop trying to act like you know. Will he become an all-pro? Unlikely at best. But you're literally assuming the worst - guess its a character flaw that realists have.

12. Post thanked by:

better days (04-25-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 944 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

After 14 seasons of no playoffs, 11 of them being losing seasons, the better question would be: What makes you think that the Bills will have a winning record...?

I said it in another thread: The Bills have 10 of their 16 games against teams that didn't make the playoffs last year... If they can win those games, that'd put them at 10-6, minimum... If not, you can't really blame the schedule.

-Bill

14. Post thanked by:

alohabillsfan (04-24-2014),Cntrygal (04-27-2014),jimmifli (04-24-2014),swiper (04-24-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
    The bolded part is what kills me about "realists" - YOU CAN'T SEE INTO THE FUTURE, SORRY. We have NO CLUE how EJ is going to turn out, stop trying to act like you know. Will he become an all-pro? Unlikely at best. But you're literally assuming the worst - guess its a character flaw that realists have.
    There's no assumption. He was last year what he was throughout his college career. He's a bum with bum knees that we overdrafted. But hey, maybe he'll get struck with some lightning and learn how to fix his horrendous footwork, gain some accuracy on passes over 5 yards and grow some balls to throw the ball downfield.

It's not hard to see how bad some players are when you've actually watched the game for years. It didn't take some miracle of science to figure out Losman was gonna be a dud, that Edwards was scared and the Fitzpatrick was just a journeyman. At least it shouldn't have been. Likewise holds true for Glass Knees.

16. Post thanked by:

alohabillsfan (04-24-2014)

SpikedLemonade

I like our schedule and I optimistically think we will go 8-8.

What Best Daze forgets is that other teams also tend to improve during the off-season. The question is not whether we have improved over last year but rather whether other teams have improved even more than we have during the off-season. I believe the teams in our division have.

What the homers will do this year if we don't make the play-offs is singularly blame EJ. We know that is coming.

The truth is we still are an evolving team with many holes on our roster and on our coaching staff.

8-8 would be a good step forward this year and keeps this coaching staff hired.

Springfield, Massachusetts, United States
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Im an Optimist but will respond....

They are saying losing record because of the following.....

1. QB position as a WHOLE. We are banking on a young QB who many think was drafted too high and really didnt show what a first rd pick should at QB. (( Me I think he gets this coming year because of being said rookie. But can understand where they are coming from))
    2. Extremely tired of losing plain and simple. Just like all of us.
    3. We ALL (pess and Opt) think we have a talented team that IF had solid play from the QB position could possibly be in the playoffs.

I think and finally have a real feeling we are finally on the right track with the way the team is being built. I just pray that EJ shows what the Bills believe they saw in him this coming season. If not its RESET again at the QB position and another wasted season.

So I do see their points. Does it piss me off that they keep throwing it out there Yes. Do I agree with them? Somewhat but I am an optimist and Really do sense a change in this team.

GO BUFFALO!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How soon will the EJ lovers start with the "EJ just has the sophmore jinx" excuse?

20. Post thanked by:

jills (04-25-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Swiper what you dont understand is that we are NOT EJ Lovers you dink. We LOVE the Bills just like most here. What my point and most others are is Rookies deserve more that one season to prove if they are the future or not.

The Bills drafted EJ. Right now he is the QB. We have to HOPE and Pray he turns out to be the answer if not its back to square one once again. Is that my fault or the other"EJ Lovers" Fault?? NO Its the Bills fault if it fails.

You arm chair GMs think you just give up right away. Well you dont in the real world. So GET OVER IT

22. Post thanked by:

better days (04-25-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SquishDaFish View Post
    Swiper what you dont understand is that we are NOT EJ Lovers you dink. We LOVE the Bills just like most here. What my point and most others are is Rookies deserve more that one season to prove if they are the future or not.

The Bills drafted EJ. Right now he is the QB. We have to HOPE and Pray he turns out to be the answer if not its back to square one once again. Is that my fault or the other"EJ Lovers" Fault?? NO Its the Bills fault if it fails.

You arm chair GMs think you just give up right away. Well you dont in the real world. So GET OVER IT
    My post was not directed at you.

And it is you that is the arm chair GM, not I. I've been watching this **** show for 40 years. Excuse me for having an opinion that differs from yours.

24. Post thanked by:

alohabillsfan (04-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If you read my post above I think you would see I understand where your coming from. But what you dont seem to understand is EJ is THE QB right now. He WAS A ROOKIE Last year. A player future is not decided in 1 season ESPEC 1st Rd QBs

And I am NOT an ArmChair QB. I dont go around saying who should be playing the game of football like you experts.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If you read my post above I think you would see I understand where your coming from. But what you dont seem to understand is EJ is THE QB right now. He WAS A ROOKIE Last year. A player future is not decided in 1 season ESPEC 1st Rd QBs
    I understand it fine. What you haven't done is understand what you're looking at when you watch him play. But the Bills coaches understand. Obviously they aren't going to give up on last year's #1 draft pick, but they should recognize his limitations. And I'm sure they have. They need to draft another QB whether you like Manuel or not.

And I am NOT an ArmChair QB. I dont go around saying who should be playing the game of football like you experts.
    You'd have to tell me what you're referring to.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post

I would say a combo of A, B, C and F.

Realistically, the team is coming off a 6-10 season and needs a lot of things to come together to succeed: (i) young players, EJ in paraticular, need to improve, (ii) new defensive scheme needs to be implemented, (iii) injuries need to be minimalized and (iv) they need a little luck.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    I understand it fine. What you haven't done is understand what you're looking at when you watch him play. But the Bills coaches understand. Obviously they aren't going to give up on last year's #1 draft pick, but they should recognize his limitations. And I'm sure they have. They need to draft another QB whether you like Manuel or not.

You'd have to tell me what you're referring to.
    I saw the limitations but also understand he was a ROOKIE. Rookies do get better. He had a Full offseason to work to get better. Now lets see if it translates on the field. We all have to HOPE it does. Because if he turns it around and shows why he was picked in the 1st then we will be some happy Bills fans this year.

29. Post thanked by:

better days (04-25-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I saw the limitations but also understand he was a ROOKIE. Rookies do get better. He had a Full offseason to work to get better. Now lets see if it translates on the field. We all have to HOPE it does. Because if he turns it around and shows why he was picked in the 1st then we will be some happy Bills fans this year.

The Bills are also the same team that chose Mike Williams, Walt Patulski, Losman, McCargo, Perry Tuttle, Erik Flowers, etc, etc... in the first round.

You're willing to wait another year. I get it. I'm not.

31. Post thanked by:

jills (04-25-2014),Mad Max (08-12-2014),sudzy (04-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I get what your saying but that is past regime. So far this group is doing well. Im willing to give it one more season.