Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I live in Nevada and have been a Bills fan since 8

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I live in Nevada and have been a Bills fan since 8

Look I will be honest I have never lived in NY State, I have relatives near Albany and in the City but I myself have never lived in the state. Spent a lot of summers there with my grandparents and such but my dad was military so we moved a lot.

I make no bones about why I am a bills fan, I was young, they were awesome, and I loved their uniforms and the personalities on the team. Bruce Smith is my favorite Bill of all time, and Stevie was/is my favorite bill since the glory days finished. I am not putting in the same class as our HOFs, just saying since they left/retired I have not liked a Bills player as much as Stevie.

That being said I lived in South Carolina since I graduated college and now live in Nevada. I have no attachments to the city of Buffalo and this is the point of the first two paragraphs.

That being said if the Bills move from Buffalo to ANYWHERE Toronto or even LA (which is close to me 8 or 9 hour drive) I will not be a fan of the team. Even if they somehow keep the name Bills I will not be a fan of them anymore and will probably not be a fan of pro football in general.

I will watch pro football but it will never be the same it will be equivalent to how I watch college football - I will jsut watch the big games and if I have other plans oh well. (I went to an FCS school in the south and route for them but they are never on TV, even when I lived in the same city never on TV).

Anyway I know this is something none of us want to talk about but if that jack A$$ jovi buys the team and moves to LA or TO what will you do. What if they keep the Bills name and all the history or if they have to change it. When the Ravens moved they lost all the history, when the Cardinals moved they kept all their history that is what is meant by that.

2. Post thanked by:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BADTHINGSMAN (05-21-2014),better days (05-21-2014),BillsFanInNM (05-21-2014),BuffaloRedleg (05-21-2014),Dr. Lecter (05-21-2014),Dr. Who (05-22-2014),Gilly (05-22-2014),kishoph (05-22-2014),Night Train (05-22-2014),Skooby (05-21-2014),THATHURMANATOR (05-21-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,401 Times in 13,787 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: I live in Nevada and have been a Bills fan since 8

I grew up in Rochester and started watching football during the Bills' heyday. Bruce Smith is also my all-time favorite player, although pretty much everyone on the team was likeable back then.

When the Bills were winning, it engulfed the entire region. When the Bills won, it was a weeklong party. When the Bills lost, it was this wave of melancholy that just hung in the air until Thursday, when people started thinking about the next game. And it's not just the locals who feel it. Greg "Opie" Hughes, from the Opie and Anthony show, grew up in Long Island but went to Geneseo and did radio in Buffalo and Rochester before making it on his own. He said the exact same thing from his time in the region.

The Bills meant a lot to the region, and while it was more exciting when they were winning, they still do. I haven't lived in WNY since 2001 and likely never will again, as my brothers and parents have also moved out and my extended family isn't from the area. I've remained a Bills fan all that time, at great inconvenience and expense, despite all the struggles. The only thing that will ever make me cease being a fan is if they move (and by that I mean leaving the area- I really don't care if they move downtown or to NF or Batavia as long as it's still close enough to be the Buffalo Bills).

I'm in Baltimore now, so if that ever happens, I'll be a half-assed Ravens fan because I can watch them for free. I won't buy any merch or follow the team through the whole off-season like I do now. And I'll curse whatever team the Bills become and root for them to lose every game, even against the Patriots and Fish.

4. Post thanked by:

BADTHINGSMAN (05-21-2014),better days (05-21-2014),BuffaloRedleg (05-21-2014),Historian (05-22-2014),Novacane (05-21-2014),psubills62 (05-23-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I grew up in Niagara County. I had a great childhood there. Wouldn't trade it in for anything. Picked up as a Bills fan around age 8 or so. One of my very first memories of football was the 1972 Superbowl - the Dolphins beat the Redskins to have a perfect season.

If the Bills left Buffalo I would be heartbroken. So many good people there. So many loyal Bills fans. Wouldn't be right. I always hoped I'd see a Super Bowl victory parade down Main Street in Buffalo before I died. Can't imagine in on Yonge Street.

6. Post thanked by:

BADTHINGSMAN (05-21-2014),better days (05-21-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm a Bills fan because they are the home team. Take them from Buffalo and they become nothing to me. The history of the franchise IMO will mean nothing if the Bills are not the Buffalo Bills. I was 8-11 years old during the 90's Bills success. Watching with my Dad, not understanding much of the game but knowing the Bills were the home team, the good guys. Those memories will last, but wont be the same if the Bills move.

8. Post thanked by:

better days (05-21-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I seriously doubt Bills fans have to worry about the Bills moving.

Toronto has a much bigger population, but it is composed of many immigrants which have no love of the NFL.

Even long time Canadians have no real passion for the NFL, Hockey is their sport.

The NFL would be a DISTANT 2nd in Toronto to the Leafs.

10. Post thanked by:

BADTHINGSMAN (05-21-2014)

Vegas Growed
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I was born, raised and still live in Vegas and have zero ties to Buffalo, NY with the exception of my love for the Bills. I've never been within a thousand miles of NY for that matter. I became a fan during the Redskins Superbowl, everyone else was rooting for the Skins and me being the little rebel I was rooted for the underdog. So began my love hate relationship with a team I had no business falling in love with. I learned everything I know about football from my uncle a die-hard LA Rams fan. I watched him go through the devastation of his boys moving and admired the way he stuck with them. I've often wondered if I could be as faithful as he has been and I've realized the answer is yes, I might even smile if they moved to LA because I would buy season tickets as quick as I could enter my debit card info. I'd never wish or want for that though because I put myself in the shoes of all of you locals and can only imagine how scary it must be to think of your city without the Bills. I want my Bills to stay in Buffalo and have all the confidence that they will.

12. Post thanked by:

BADTHINGSMAN (05-21-2014)

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills moving might be a good thing for my sanity. I'd still be interested, but probably in a more detached way. Might be good if we stay a perennial 6-10'er.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm born and raised in Los Angeles I became a BILLS fan in 1988 I was 8, I loved their uniforms, and everybody in my family is either a Raiders fan or Cowboys fan. So you can imagine the 4 superbowls, I even have a tattoo of the my BILLS on my right arm to show my love for my BILLS and I got the tattoo so that I could never change teams. I've never been to Buffalo the closest I've been there is when I was in Chicago and that's when my grandmother past away,everybody here tells me hey what if the BILLS come here wouldn't you be happy? And I say I don't know, but the truth of the matter is that L.A. deserves a new team not a team that has a great history and great fans and no I don't want them to move keep them there.This year we win the Superbowl, I say that every year no matter who we have, and I will always say it.Let's go BUFFALO!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Post thanked by:

BuffaloRedleg (05-23-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that everybody in my family calls me (Beebe) because I would always talk about him and his speed and every time we played football that's what they would call me because I was the fastest guy in our team and funny thing is that when I was 14 I got shot on my left eye with a BB gun and I'm half blind from that eye so everybody said I was meant for that nick name. LOL

17. Post thanked by:

BillsFanInNM (05-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Don Beebe = white lightning

19. Post thanked by:

Beebe (05-22-2014),BillsFanInNM (05-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not sure Toronto is a serious threat. LA might be.

Big time sports have a unique common theme: television driven. Look around: soccer (globally), #1 TV ratings. NFL, MLB, MBA are proof. Soccer in US is not big time because people don't watch it on TV enough.

Unfortunately for Toronto, NFL TV ratings won't be included. It's still US domestic driven. Yes NFL is still trying to get into the international market, but until other countries start to play the same sports and have serious following of the sports, it's not going to work very well.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,923 Times in 5,311 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd be done with the NFL period. Close to that decision anyways.

22. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,488 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I grew up throwing a football to myself and diving for it on my bed, pretending I was Albert Dubenion, or Lamonica, or Kemp. No, there's only one Buffalo Bills.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

24. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (05-22-2014),Night Train (05-22-2014)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I grew up in Los Angeles, live about 90 miles away, and I still wouldn't want the Bills there.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

26. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    I grew up throwing a football to myself and diving for it on my bed, pretending I was Albert Dubenion, or Lamonica, or Kemp. No, there's only one Buffalo Bills.
    When I was a kid, when I used to play pick-up football wearing a white T-shirt with a "44" stuck on it with electrical tape. (By the way, it's Elbert :-) )

As, yes, I would stop watching NFL period should the Bills ever leave.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
    ~ Frank Zappa

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post

Ditto. My first Bills game at the Rockpile was 1965. We were the best team in the AFL at that time. I shook hands with Sestak, Shaw, Kemp and many others from that era, which bonds you to them for life.

From everything I'm hearing, they look like they're sticking around for a long time to continue to drive us nuts.

I realize this will crush the ego's of many who have been moving us out of town on the internet for 15 years... but you'll just have to deal with your failed prophecy.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by LVGrown View Post
    I was born, raised and still live in Vegas and have zero ties to Buffalo, NY with the exception of my love for the Bills. I've never been within a thousand miles of NY for that matter. I became a fan during the Redskins Superbowl, everyone else was rooting for the Skins and me being the little rebel I was rooted for the underdog. So began my love hate relationship with a team I had no business falling in love with. I learned everything I know about football from my uncle a die-hard LA Rams fan. I watched him go through the devastation of his boys moving and admired the way he stuck with them. I've often wondered if I could be as faithful as he has been and I've realized the answer is yes, I might even smile if they moved to LA because I would buy season tickets as quick as I could enter my debit card info. I'd never wish or want for that though because I put myself in the shoes of all of you locals and can only imagine how scary it must be to think of your city without the Bills. I want my Bills to stay in Buffalo and have all the confidence that they will.
    Hey man I live in Reno you know any good sports bars in reno or Las Vegas that are bills bars. Sometimes end up in Vegas for long weekends.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I had season tickets for two years when we lived in South Carolina and got to see Bruce go on wall of fame. Was a great experience. Also great game. That was the game trentative brought us back against the raiders. My first bills home game was the Monday night against Dallas and my wife became a fan. I recommend all non locals to go to one bills home game especially at the Ralph it is a great experience and worth it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    I grew up in Los Angeles, live about 90 miles away, and I still wouldn't want the Bills there.
    Come on you have to give us more than that. What's the story?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

During my 8 years in the Army (which end July 1st) it would be impossible to overstate how important the Bills have been to me. I wear the colors with pride and I take it absolutely personal every time someone makes fun of us. It makes me a target, but then I ask them to name 2 offensive lineman on their Cowboys/Packers/Patriots and they usually back off. It has been my identity in a lot of ways, I put Bills **** up all over in my office and I make a point to talk about them whenever possible. It's fun and it reminds me that even in Iraq/Afghanistan/Germany/Oklahoma/Alaska I'm still a Buffalonian always.

I would piss on the grave of the person who moved our team. I'm not kidding. The things that he will have robbed people for a bunch of ****ing LA lushes and Toronto who-gives-a-damns is a crime and I will wait to he is dead, and I will find his grave, and I will piss on it. Little dramatic I know, but us little guys gotta get ours too in the world that is run by those who give zero ****s about us.

33. Post thanked by:

GvilleBills (05-23-2014)