X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Is The NFL Overextending Their Product?

3 regular season games will be played in London this year.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

I didn't know that the NFL has been playing regular season games in London since 2007!

Most players probably hate it, just like the Bills hated playing a, "home," game in Canada.

The demographics of Toronto seem more conducive to a professional soccer franchise, not American football.

If the NFL didn't learn their lesson after losing two teams from Los Angeles, The "Toronto Series," should have taught the NFL that size and population really do not matter. That lesson goes all the way back to the roots of the game in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

Pro football is a unique American sport. There is no other sport like it in the world.

The rest of the world prefers rugby, soccer, hockey and curling.

I wish the NFL would concentrate on their product here at home, instead of trying to, "increase their market share," overseas and expanding their product outside of the United States.

Some things will always be...

Hockey will always be king in Toronto.

Soccer will always be king in England.

Football will always be king in America.

If a potential future owner had the opportunity to buy the Pittsburgh Steelers, Buffalo Bills, Green Bay Packers, Kansas City Chiefs or a new franchise with a brand new stadium in LA, what franchise would they choose?

Any smart businessman would choose the small market team with loyal customers.

Selling pro football in LA is like trying to sell a bucket of wings and a sheet pizza in Beverly Hills or Miami.

The NFL should be more worried about why the Miami Dolphins have so many empty orange seats instead playing football in London.
  • Luisito23
    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
    • Apr 2003

Re: Is The NFL Overextending Their Product?

They've been trying to shove it down everyone's throat for years, they just don't get the message...

No one outside of the US cares about "football" you dummies.
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

It's EuroDisney all over again...

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

All the NFL cares about is money and they will do everything they possibly can to whore the product to get more.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

I believe the London games are profittable from a league perspective so they really couldn't care less about anything else.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
            • Sep 2012

For the thousandth time, football in Los Angeles didn't fail for lack of interest, it failed because the youngest stadium just celebrated its 90th birthday.

And at this point, we as Bills fans are in little position to throw stones about poor attendance.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• The Jokeman
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
              For the thousandth time, football in Los Angeles didn't fail for lack of interest, it failed because the youngest stadium just celebrated its 90th birthday.

And at this point, we as Bills fans are in little position to throw stones about poor attendance.
              but see here if an LA team doesn't sell out then the NFL loses out on all those viewers that could be watching the local team on tv and because there's so much to do in LA the fans don't have to flock to the stadium. Ever wonder why the league doesn't have a team in New York City? It's part of the same reasoning. The only way I see the NFL putting a team in LA again is if it's a proven winner with an LA fan base that would watch them. Perhaps the Chargers could relocate there but don't see the 49ers because the fans in San Francisco be an uproar because of the winning tradition. The Raiders could but need to start winning again.

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

core fans > corporate

NFL office = corporate > core fans .

Cost to attend a game is getting out of hand.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Downinfloflo
                  Victimizing The Victimizer
                  • Aug 2012

I think Mark Cuban is right...And when it does implode the Buffalo Bills will be one of the franchises that pays the price and will be relocated.

Mark Cuban thinks the NFL’s greed will quickly lead to its downfall. The Dallas Mavericks owner discussed the league in a pregame conversation with reporters on Sunday. “I think the NFL…

“I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion. When pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they’re getting hoggy. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I’m just telling you, when you got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns against you.”

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                    I believe the London games are profittable from a league perspective so they really couldn't care less about anything else.
                    The logistics involved with playing an NFL game overseas has to cost a small fortune.

Every time an NFL game is played overseas, every penny is spent overseas instead of here at home.

What about the ushers, parking attendants, local bars, grocery stores, ticket takers, security personnel, cab drivers, restaurant owners, convenient stores, and gas station owners that benefit on game day?

Playing games overseas is like the NFL taking money out of their own fans pockets.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                      Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                      • Feb 2006

Do whatever you want NFL. You wonder why nobody wants to go to a game or why people just buy all their jersies from China..Hogs.
                      Last edited by Buffalogic; 05-22-2014, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                        • Mar 2013

What's the old adage?

"Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered."

I think that is what Mark Cuban was referring to, and he's absolutely right.

If the NFL fails to take care of what's wrong at home (head injuries, pain pills, player lawsuits and empty seats) nobody that lives 4,000 miles away is going to give a flying turd.

The NFL could barely sell out multiple playoff games last year.

Time to get back to basics and stick to the original business model.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                          • Sep 2003

But Jerry wants more pie people!

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                            • Mar 2013

One of thing's that the NFL doesn't want to touch with a ten foot pole is the idea of having a franchise in Mexico City.

Fan support is no question. Mexico loves American football. But does the league want to expand their product to Mexico?

No regular season or preseason game is scheduled for the 2014 NFL season, so I guess the answer is a flat out, "No."

Why not?

Throughout the wide world of sports, there are many different sports leagues that compete against each other to become the best in either an entire region or large sections of the world...

In 1994, a preseason game between the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Oilers garnered a crowd of 112,246 at Mexico City's Estadio Azteca. In the only regular season game held in Mexico, there was a then-record NFL attendance of 103,467 at Azteca.
                            There is a growing amount of NFL merchandise being bought in Mexico, and the NFL is really hurting itself by not tapping the key market that exists in Mexico.
                            Attendence has steadily grown for the annual NFL games staged at Wembley, but there has been no big boost for the NFL in England. The English Premier League is not only the most popular sports league there but in the world.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                              • Aug 2013

The other shoe will drop eventually. I'd hate for the Bills to be that shoe, but that has the potential to be a PR nightmare in the modern world we live in if they choose to do so.

Could you imagine if the Browns left in 2014? Holy hell, shut down twitter, facebook and whateverthe**** is also out there.

**** I'm not going to lie if I knew what I knew now and were as old as I am now I would have not watched anything but Bills football, because **** that ****.

Comment

Working...
                              X