Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bills plan a faster pace on offense

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bills plan a faster pace on offense

SpikedLemonade

Re: Bills plan a faster pace on offense

I wish they would just worry about pounding the rock on the ground.

EJ is dead if we don't have a great run game this year.

3. Post thanked by:

Mark Miller (06-07-2014),sudzy (06-07-2014),Thurmal (06-06-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,314 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You mean like running a no-huddle all pre-season then scrapping it the week before the season starts?

5. Post thanked by:

Fletch (06-06-2014),jimmifli (06-07-2014),sudzy (06-07-2014),Thurmal (06-06-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills: "Selling gimmicks since 1999!".

7. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (06-06-2014),Fletch (06-06-2014),OpIv37 (06-06-2014),Thurmal (06-06-2014),trapezeus (06-06-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GingerP View Post
    The Bills: "Selling gimmicks since 1999!".
    I guess last seasons' differential in TOP wasn't good enough for them, so try to increase it...
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

9. Post thanked by:

Fletch (06-06-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    You mean like running a no-huddle all pre-season then scrapping it the week before the season starts?
    We didn't scrap it before week 1 as I remember we ran it quite unsuccessfully early on in the season as remember someone posting how we had the 2nd most plays behind on the Eagles at one point. Personally I hate the idea. To me if we're going to win we need long eat up the clock drives and strong defense to win. As to me the best part of EJ's game last year is driving this team down the field 75 plus yards for TDs. Granted he didn't do it every time but all the reason for us not to run a quick pace offense as leaves our opponents more time to score more against us and weaken our D because their winded etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,314 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    We didn't scrap it before week 1 as I remember we ran it quite unsuccessfully early on in the season as remember someone posting how we had the 2nd most plays behind on the Eagles at one point. Personally I hate the idea. To me if we're going to win we need long eat up the clock drives and strong defense to win. As to me the best part of EJ's game last year is driving this team down the field 75 plus yards for TDs. Granted he didn't do it every time but all the reason for us not to run a quick pace offense as leaves our opponents more time to score more against us and weaken our D because their winded etc.
    A fast paced offense only works if you have a team that can consistently put up 30, like the late 80's/early 90's 49ers, early 90's Bills, late 90's Rams, Patriots and Colts of the 2000's, etc. When teams score that consistently, TOP becomes less and less important because most opposing offenses can't keep pace. It also helps if the team has a good D line, because they can rope the other team into a passing battle, then pin their ears back and go after their QB.

I agree with you- the current incarnation of the Bills hasn't proven that they're that good. Maybe they will be with all the potential at WR, but it largely comes down to Manuel. We're also stacked at the RB position, which makes a possession game easier. I'm just not sure putting a young qb into a fast-paced offense is the right way to go.

12. Post thanked by:

Mark Miller (06-07-2014),The last buffalo fan (06-06-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm just not sure putting a young qb into a fast-paced offense is the right way to go.
    I've railed about that repeatedly. You need to let him get educated about all the tricks and shifts the opposing defense does. You don't want him to resort to flinging desperate (inaccurate) sideline heaves when pressure mounts.

Worse, they touted it - telegraphed it to the rest of the league last season...here's what we are going to do. Add in the premature announcing of who is going to start, the draft signals they put up - can't they just keep their mouths shut for once?

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,709 Times in 3,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Actually, at one point in the season, the bills' offense was FASTER than the Eagles'.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I heard on WGR the Bills were behind only Denver & New England for the number of plays ran per game.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We're also stacked at the RB position, which makes a possession game easier.
    That's a misperception. Fred Jackson's got one foot out the door. Bryce Brown is nothing but a slim hope for much beyond backup duty. Spiller's proven that he's not a 3-down RB.

If FJ struggles this season as he likely will, and sees increasing injuries, as he likely will, we'll be without him next year. Unless Brown does sometrhing, and he never has, then we're down to Spiller, who may not even be here next season either.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    That's a misperception. Fred Jackson's got one foot out the door. Bryce Brown is nothing but a slim hope for much beyond backup duty. Spiller's proven that he's not a 3-down RB.

If FJ struggles this season as he likely will, and sees increasing injuries, as he likely will, we'll be without him next year. Unless Brown does sometrhing, and he never has, then we're down to Spiller, who may not even be here next season either.
    I'll keep an open mind on Bryce Brown. From what I've read a while back, he was buried on the PHI roster...it was a trade - rare these days, and BUF mgmt gets my trust here.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,428 Times in 7,294 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So that was the problem with our offense last year!!! We just weren't fast enough! I have no faith in Hackett.

19. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (06-07-2014),Mark Miller (06-07-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i think if you are saying your defense is your best asset, why would you speed up your offense to keep putting the defense out there. if it's unsuccessful you are pissing away good starts by the d by tiring them out. i would honestly think you want the team to be as slow and methodic as possible. given that the OL is one of the biggest, it's even more reason to slow it down and ground their d down. if it doesn't work, you've given your d a little more than 30 seconds of rest.

21. Post thanked by:

Mark Miller (06-07-2014),sudzy (06-06-2014)

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Deja vu. Is Mularkey still our coach?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    i think if you are saying your defense is your best asset, why would you speed up your offense to keep putting the defense out there. if it's unsuccessful you are pissing away good starts by the d by tiring them out. i would honestly think you want the team to be as slow and methodic as possible. given that the OL is one of the biggest, it's even more reason to slow it down and ground their d down. if it doesn't work, you've given your d a little more than 30 seconds of rest.
    Stop making logical assessments.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Stop making logical assessments.
    apologies. what i meant to say is "on paper we are so much better than everyone else and despite watching us not run it particularly well last year, it's a no brainer to assume a mid level rookie qb who was injured for the last 6 games comes out of the gate red hot. then we just win game after game."

did i get it right?

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You could argue that some of the best times that EJ looked were in the quick moving 2 minute situations. Not every time but the times he looked good was then. It might force the defence to play more vanilla which could help him process quicker. Not to mention the eagles ran it a ton so it's not all on the QB.

I'm not that sold on it yet but if this is the niche that makes EJ successful, I think it's worth a shot.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

“It was awesome”
    The Bills are always awesome…from February to August and at their most awesomeness just before training camp. Then, awesome takes a 17 week vacation.
    The day EJ is compared to Brady and Manning is the day palm trees grow in Buffalo.

Best comment.

27. Post thanked by:

sudzy (06-06-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't get it. This team has an injury prone inexperienced QB, huge OL, 3 pretty good RBs and a up and coming defense. This team is not built to win a shootout with Tom Brady. It's built for a clock eating ground and pound offense, that plays good defense and keeps Brady on the bench. Instead of trying to go with the latest fad, how about coaching to a teams strengths.

29. Post thanked by:

Mark Miller (06-07-2014),swiper (06-06-2014),trapezeus (06-09-2014)